BHP - is it me?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Can any "techsperts" explain something I don't get?
"Back in the day," bigger engines (in cc terms) were usually more powerful, and cost more because their moving parts were physically bigger.
But now, base vehicles usually have one engine (eg Ford's 2.2, but most of the others work the same way), which is able to produce different power ratings (bhp) depending on how the electronics are set up. And we can pay clever people to "re-map" them, changing the electronic settings to produce more power.
So two questions:
1. If an engine is physically capable of producing more power (which, if driven with a light foot, will help fuel economy instead) WHY would anyone deliberately set it up electronically to produce less?
2. Why are the higher-power options hundreds of pounds more expensive, when it's the same physical components, just adjusted differently?
Am I missing something here?

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Good question. Its not just the electrics that make the engine, Its also the turbos. But I had a 2013 land rover defender with the 2.2 ford engine (puma) and it was a nighmare to drive. the reason being that the power band was all in 500 rpm. if you fall out of the very narrow power band due to being in the wrong gear the engine would ref but no extra power. It was a case of up and down the 6 speed manual gearbox like a mad man. For land rover it was the only way to get the eco rateing and the torque figures needed for the 4x4 system. but to drive it was rubbish.
All manufactors are trying to beat the new green taxes and so our making smaller engines then before or buying in small cars under their name like aston martin with their renamed smart cars. the proof of the pudding is how long these engines will last with a few miles and years on them. In answer to part two of your question, Its because they can, and buyers fall for it. michael

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Tony
1. Engines are set up to run on different octane ratings so that the same engine can be used in countries with varied quality diesel. Hence, those countries with higher quality diesel can tweak the engine to make it perform better. More power/fuel efficiency is not always what the customer wants. Fiat Camper's website allows you to chose an engine that best meets your driving style. Manufacturers are now able to produce one engine [scale of economies] and tweak it to suit different uses.
2. It's not always the same physical components produed to the same standards. Also, the development and testing costs for engines are significant and have to be recovered. The biggest cost now seems to be ensuring compliance with the raft of environmental EU directives which show no sign of easing.
Bottom line is that manufacturers design engines to meet the different demands of customers/legislation and the cheapest way to do that is to have engines that can be tweaked.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts