Big Damp Problem!

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
I've just removed the shower tray from my Compass 490/4 - Lots of damp and a rotten floor and side panel. Does any one have any contacts re DIY repair as I wish to keep the caravan but think the bill for a professional repair would run into £K's

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alyson - thanks for that - I've only just had a quick glance but a real DIY site - excellent! Thankfully I do not have a problem with damp but to see what these guys dealt with!!

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

While the info may be of value I cant for the life of me see why you would want to restore that van??? A 1985 van with

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
People do get attached to their vans, also if you have spent a lot of money on it in other ways, a DIY job can still be cheaper than getting another van. I love old vans, personally! Also if you buy another, who's to say that doesnt have something wrong, damp can be difficult to spot in newer vans until it gets really bad!

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Alyson - thanks for that - I've only just had a quick glance but a real DIY site - excellent! Thankfully I do not have a problem with damp but to see what these guys dealt with!!
surely at your age you must have some incontinence problems?

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I want to look at a 95 van the other day and I took my danp tester with me, I was picking up a reading on the flooring at the front of the van. At this point the manager came along and we had a chat about damp allowances apparently a new van can have some where in the reagion of a 20% moisture reading in any tested area and that is deamed to be OK. He went to get his tester as it was better than mine ant the floor reading was about 15% so there is no problem there.

To sum it up then, due to the nature of caravans and how and where we keep them there will always be an element of damp inside, but this is normal so dont always asume the worst.

Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts