big petrol towcars

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
hi,

i have just bought a caravan which is 1700 all up,i currently have a galaxy which is up to the job but i feel lacks some hp.I have been looking at used volvo xc90 and outlander but today my head was turned by a vw passatt 3.6 4motion auto estate.It drives superbly,has oodles of bhp but of course is petrol and automatic,is teh combination of auto and petrol a no no do you think or is the 250hp rating enough to put that all to bed?

thanks

andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

My sources suggest that the Passat 4motion has an indicated kerb weight of 1807Kg is rated to tow 2200Kg, this is a 94% match, and it has plenty of power and I guess torque available so technically it is OK.

I personally would be happy with that ratio, but some still feel it better to aim towards the 85% figure. If you are an experienced tower then it should not be a problem.

However, each outfit is unique and its stability and drivability is not simply defined by the masses, but on how it loaded, the condition of the running gear, and driving style.

It is down to personal priorities, as to whether large petrol engines and or auto boxes are better than say diesels and manuals. If you feel that economy is important, then diesels are the more likely choice, if responsive power is a draw, then petrol has the edge, however there are now many diesels that perform well enough to be fitted to sports models.

If ease of driving is important then auto boxes are good, but there is usually an economy trade off compared to the equivalent manual model.

Basically you will find supporters for all fuels and drive trains, but only you can decide on what's best for you.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The current version of the Passat is 3.2 V6 with the DSG geabox. Urban consumption is 20.3mpg, combined is 28.8mpg, CO2 is 233g/km so it's taxed in the top VED band. I'd guess at 18-19 towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, there is no substitute for power when towing. I've been using V8 Range Rovers for many years now, but I'm the first to admit that economy is not a strong point!! However, the last two cars have been converted to run on LPG, and at 12mpg, that equates to 27mpg....as LPG is only around 0.47p per litre, and you still have all the power you'll ever need.

Try getting a quote to convert the big Passat.

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew, we tow our Elddis Aurora (1600Kg) with a 1994 Mitsubishi Shogun V6 3Ltr petrol with an automatic gearbox.

We have had no problems with it, the unit is so stable that I keep getting reminded that we are towing :eek:)

Fuel consumption can be an issue (we only use it for towing though) but we are looking into gas conversion.

It has adjustable suspension, so that when carrying passengers in the back and towing at the same time the suspension has no problems.

Before this car we had a 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 3Ltr petrol with a manual gearbox, when we finally retired this one it had done a collosal 230000 miles.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew, we tow our Elddis Aurora (1600Kg) with a 1994 Mitsubishi Shogun V6 3Ltr petrol with an automatic gearbox.

We have had no problems with it, the unit is so stable that I keep getting reminded that we are towing :eek:)

Fuel consumption can be an issue (we only use it for towing though) but we are looking into gas conversion.

It has adjustable suspension, so that when carrying passengers in the back and towing at the same time the suspension has no problems.

Before this car we had a 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 3Ltr petrol with a manual gearbox, when we finally retired this one it had done a collosal 230000 miles.
I converted my 97 3.0 to LPG, bit of a game as there is no room for the petrol tank and you have to have a new 6 gallon one. It returned about 15mpg on gas but I have gone back to petrol on a late shape GDI. It might only do 19mpg towing but I forgive it as it is so superb at doing it!!

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site

I converted my 97 3.0 to LPG, bit of a game as there is no room for the petrol tank and you have to have a new 6 gallon one. It returned about 15mpg on gas but I have gone back to petrol on a late shape GDI. It might only do 19mpg towing but I forgive it as it is so superb at doing it!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts