BIG TOURING CARAVANS

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
HELP!! I'm b****y confused about what I can and can't tow. I own a TEC Weltbummler 560TF Creation (2004). I ordered it from a UK dealer at a UK show at the end of 2003. At the time I had a Daewoo Musso and lived in the UK and toured in the UK, France and Spain. Now I live in France and my towing vehicle is a 2.2dci Renault Vel Satis but I want to return to the UK with the car and 'van. Checking out the websites it seems I am illegal. If so, why and more importantly, why is a UK dealer allowed to sell these caravans? I must also add that they are so well designed technically that they are much easier (and stable) to tow than any UK made 'van and I have been towing for a great many years (however, comfort and style are definitely unique UK attributes!!) I look forward to you putting me straight. Thanks. Peter Oddy

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I presume you are talking about the caravan width issue in the UK. Fact is that caravans over 2.3m wide are not, in principle, illegal but they require a towcar with a GVW of over 3.5 tonnes. It is a bizarre law that defies logic because what towcar weight has to do with caravan width beats me, but that's the way it is.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Could it be that the law states the driver must be able to see both rear corners of the caravan in the wing mirrors.

With an 8 foot wide caravan you would have to have long extension mirrors even on a 4x4.

I know of a caravanner who received a warning from the police with a 7foot 6inches wide caravan because he could not see both rear corners in his mirrors.

Just a thought .

Hamer

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The whole 'width' thing has got the Police in confusion.

They know the UK law - you need a vehicle over 3,000kg to pull anything wider than 2.3 metres - but our membership of the EU has really muddied the legislative waters.

It's inconceivable that a fellow citizen of the EU, touring the UK in his/her 2.5 metre wide van pulled by, say, a Volvo would be prosecuted.

It just ain't going to happen - no-one is certain enough of the rules to take it to court, and if it ever *did* get to court can you imagine the scope for argument? - not to mention the payout when it's later determined that the visitors human rights have been infinged....

Which then leads us to the point where, if the Germans, French, Poles, Spanish, Italians etc, etc, etc, can tow *their* 2.5 metre wide vans unmolested on UK roads, how can a UK citizen (who supposedly enjoys the same rights as his EU brothers and sisters) be successfully prosecuted?

It's a Euro Lawyers dream. I can only assume that the powers who guard and guide us are content to leave things as they are, perhaps hoping that rapidly rising fuel costs will soon mean that no-one will be towing anything, anywhere - and the problem will neatly solve itself ;)

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
peter.....Giest makes some good points.

In your situation I think you are legally entitled to drive in the UK with your 2.5m wide van because your car is French registered and presumably your caravan also now has French registration. The rule only applies to UK registered vehicles. Daft but there it is.

The law on this is stupid and a test case is needed to prove it.....any takers out there?

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
As far as I know Elite caravans are the sole agents in the UK and if you buy the 2.5m wide vans they put a rubber stamp on the reciept stating a 3500kgs gvw vehicle is required to pull it.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Pete,

Beemer Mal is incorrect in what he is saying. Regulation 8 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the maximum width trailer which can be towed by a vehicle of 3500kg gross weight or less is 2.3m. This part of the regulations is equally applicable to vehicles registered in the UK and temporarily imported vehicles. That is to say any foreign registered vehicle which enters the UK is subject to the rule, failure to comply could lead to the driver if he/she has no permanet UK address being arrested by the police and charged with the offence and or a prohibition notice being issued and the vehicle directed out of the country. Traffic Police are becoming more aware of the issue and so are VOSA who have the powers to stop any vehicle for a roadworthiness examination.

Whether anyone thinks the law is stupid or not is of no consequence the law is the law and has to be complied with. I have been enforcing it for 25 years and have directed many overlength or overwidth non UK registered vehicles out of the country for breaching these rules, believe me, no test case is needed to prove it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but forwarned is for armed.

Regards

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have the same information as you, Stephen, although I have heard that there are thoughts about changing the law as approximately 40% of all Continental caravans are 2.5m wide and the current situation, if enforced, effectively bars their owners from holidaying in the UK. Do you know anything about this?

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lutz.

I've not heard of any imminent changes but the current regs are over 20 years old. I will be at a meeting in a couple of weeks time with the people who draft new legislation so I'll make some enquiries and let you know.

Regards

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts