Bike racks for 4 x 4s

We have a Isuzu Trooper and a 640 Lunar Ultima. We want to be able to take 2 adult bikes when we go caravanning.

We have been told that there is not enough clearance to use a sparewheel carrier and it seems both expensive and difficult to carry them on the roof. Any suggestions please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I have a 4 x 4 with a Bailey 500/5 caravan. We simply pack the bikes in the caravan during transit. To date there has been no problems, damage, etc. so we will carry on in this way and save the expence of a roof rack or rear bike carrier. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry and Bridget, I had a Ford Maverick with a spare wheel on the back and used a Witter tow ball mounted cycle rack. It can carry up to 4 bikes whilst towing (we had 3 on ours). They are about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We tow an Avondale Landranger with a Vauxhall Monterey long wheelbase (Rebadged Isuzu Trooper) We carry up to 4 bikes on a Witter 4x4 towbar bike rack. The bike rack is angled-out around the rear spare wheel. It is easily fitted and removed for opening the tail door. This arrangement is fine on the open road but we tend to take the bikes if making sharp parking manoeuvres as the bikes can, then, catch on the front of the caravan. We take out the jockey wheel for the same reason - we did once buckle a bike wheel on the jockey wheel post when making a sharp turn onto a pitch in reverse!! The bikes and rack, also, rather obstruct hitching and unhitching but we fee this inconvenience is outweighed by having the caravan interior clear for stops en-route.

We previously carried the bikes vertically on Paddy Hopkirk cycle racks fastened to the roof rack - but that was a stretch to put them on- even on a, much lower. Peugeot estate car.

We have travelled extensively over 7+ years on the Continent and in the UK with both types of rack and few problems.

Incidentally we, also, carry a lighting/number plate board so that we can carry the bikes on the car when we are not towing the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a nissan terrano and Elddis Avante 505. We use the Witter tow ball mounted bike rack and it works great. Looked at several options and this does the job.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We tow with a Land Rover Discovery and have a bike rack that sits above the rear mounted spare wheel and hooks onto the back door. The door can be opened with 4 bikes attached & the bikes are well clear of the caravan. I remove my spare wheel cover and rest the bike rack on the spare wheel for extra support. We have travelled from Scotland to Spain & back with no problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts