Bike racks...

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a terrano which has a rear mounted spare wheel. I could take the spare wheel off and fit a standard bike rack but that would leave me having to find space in the car for thew wheel or leave it at home (that isn't happening). I have seen bike racks that fit onto the spare wheel. has anyone got any experience of these and are they secure enough for adult bikes?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Is the bike rack to be fitted (onto the spare wheel) and left on all the time, ie solo and whilst towing, or just solo? If there when towing does it restrict turning circle?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
Good question well asked and one that I have been thinking about. The main problem would be from the jockey wheel I think.

At one caravan site I had to sprint across a couple of pitches and stop a 4x4 driver causing more damage to his bikes and rack. He had unhitched his 6 berth and was pulling away, but the stabilizer handle was left up and caught in the cycle wheel. As he pulled away, although unhitched, he was still pulling the van by means of the bike!! :eek:hmy:

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Many years ago I had a ford maverick and had a cycle rack that attached to the wheel on the rear door,I used to have 2 adult bikes on that without any problems.The best thing to do is hitch the caravan on and then put the bikes on last thing before you leave.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have one that fixed to the spare wheel. The only problem is when you want to get in the back door, you are restricted to a smaller opening doorway.

I have a Discovery and the carrier fits on with 3 straps and it takes 2 normal bikes.

Trevor

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts