Bikes on roof. How many ?

May 4, 2005
Visit site
How many bikes can I put on the roof of my Maverick? At the moment I need to carry three outside the car as the youngests fits in the boot. Do you think three will be ok on the roof, I have Thute roof bars but have lost the spec sheet re load capacity ;O( also not sure on Mavericks roof load limit. Eventually I'd need to carry four. Would it be better to put two on the roof and the other/s on a spare wheel mounted carrier or could I get all four on the roof ?. Two of the bikes are alloy framed and the other is steel framed so a bit heavier.

Brian (",)

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Brian

I thick I would go with fit a spare wheel mounted carrier for all the bikes.

Because you got to get the bikes on the roof.

Ok I now that sounds a bit funny but just thick about it you got to lift the bike up on the roof and down. You cud end up slip and damage the Maverick and your self has well and it a long way up to get them up on a 4x4.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Any Ford dealer should be able to tell you or find out what the roof load carrying capacity is. For most cars of that type (4x4's) it is 100kg.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
If you can put the bikes anywhere else do so. Roof mounted racks are far from ideal in my experience. Noise from drumming and wind drag is just a complete pain. And on top of a Maverick you may need a step ladder ;)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you can't put the bikes inside the car or caravan, the roof of the car is the best place. Anywhere else would probably compromise your noseweight or have a detrimental effect on stability.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
I have to differ with Lutz's view here. Load weight re cycles obviously has to be taken into account wherever you put the cycles be it that they effect the weight to the rear of the car or the caravans load or nose weight.

Having driven solo and towed with cycles on the roof and on a fixed rack behind the car. Stability I've found is greatly affected by roof mounted cycles, Cycles behind the car helps fill the gap between car and van and the keeps the cycles out of direct head on or lateral winds with the cars wind flow vortices helping move the air past the cycles.

Passing a CRV towing with 3 roof mounted cycles yesterday we could visibly see the side wind effect on the bikes on the M4.

Breaking up the cleanish flow of air to the caravan is doing nothing for the vans limited aerodynamics and lifting the centre of gravity for the tow vehicle and adding high mounted wind brakes does very little for stability in my book and experience.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If three bikes and the carrier weigh about 40kg and the carrier is attached to the towbar, that leaves you with 40kg less noseweight available for the caravan, an appreciable reduction if you've got a 75kg noseweight limit. The remaining 35kg is not going to be enough to ensure a stable outfit.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Sorry Lutz, but you have lost me.

What has the weight of the bikes got to do with the caravans nose weight? They do not have to be tow hitch ball mounted and if the car is not over weight at the rear why is nose weight altered for the caravan?

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
ps.

By your way of thinking Lutz if my wife drives and I decide to relax in the 3rd row rear seat, my weight will mean the Caravans nose weight would have to be a minus figure ;)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My reply was based on the assumption that the carrier is towball mounted. If it isn't, no problem with a rear mounted carrier so long as the car is not overloaded. I just thought that with the spare wheel on the back of a Maverick, one wouldn't have much of a choice other than a towball mounted one. I doubt whather the spare wheel carrier is designed to take any additional load.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Bikes on the roof!

Reminds me of an episode I witnessed last year. A guy packing to leave one morning putting the bikes on the roof, he got two on the third he obviously never clamped properly. As he walked away the bike, in slow motion, twisted and fell. It remained clamped at one end momentarily enough for the bike to gouge an arc across the side windows and pillars before braking away completely and going down the wing and bonnet edge leaving part of the bikes wheel still attached to the rack and the rest unceremoniously dumped in a pile on the floor. The damage looked bad at a distance let alone close up

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guys,weighed the 3 bikes tonight and they come to 49.5 kgs. The handbook gives the roof load at 75 kgs. Can't find max load for Thule roof bars but can not imagine it being less than 50 kgs and will probably be more like 60 or 70.

Working on the fact that a bike is quite aerodynamic unless it's got a 48 year old fat bloke sitting on it and the adverse effects on a Maverick whos streamlining was perfected by Barrett Homes I think the bikes will be ok on the roof.

As for the additional noise, I'm travelling with the wife and two kids so it will be nice to have something to listen to.

Brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brian,

I am pleased that you seem to have sorted out the load capacities of the roof and carrier. It is so important not overload these structures, it seems a little odd that you should ask the question of members of this forum.

The proper solution to your quest was to ask the manuafctures whose answers carry authority, rather than us band of amatures.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
If you can't ask a friend who can you ask ;O)

I will dig out exact model of roof bars tomorrow but the Thule site when referring to max loads says to refer to car manufacturers max figures . So it looks like they are rated to 75 kgs as well.

Brian (",)

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
If you have the misfortune to have a drumming sound from roof mounted rack bikes and the not so earodynamic bikes and rack droning on for hiurs as you drive, you will not find it so funny Brian. A heavy 4 x 4 will even feel the effects of roof mounted bikes int he right wind conditions and stability will more than likely be an issue.

Enjoy !

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I found a figure of 100kg for the load carrying capacity of Thule roof bars, unless a lower spec from the car manufacturer applies.

To a certain extent, PC is right in that you may notice a slight change in the way the car handles with the bikes on the roof under windy conditions but so long as they are properly anchored, this will not affect handling to the extent that there is a danger of any instability and your safety is at risk (unlike a snaking outfit).

Drumming, if any, is often caused by components such as the bike's mudguards vibrating. If this is the case, it's easy to plug an old rag or something between the offending part and another more rigid one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am in favour of carrying bikes on the roof, I have done this for years and found no issues with vehicle stability in wind or excessive noise. Tailgate/spare wheel carriers have supporters but the majority I have seen do not let you enter the boot with the bikes attached which I need to do to let the dog out. We currently carry four bikes on a Sorrento which has a 75kg limit on the rails, the Thule cross over bars have a 100kg limit. All four bikes have a total weight of 56kg with the bike carriers weighing less than 3kg each. Carrying four bikes you will have to alternate the direction you fit each carrier to allow space for the handle bars but four should go on the Maverick fine. We use a lightweight plastic step ladder for fitting the bikes which fits in the gas locker fine and also comes in handy for putting up the awning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you can't ask a friend who can you ask ;O)

I will dig out exact model of roof bars tomorrow but the Thule site when referring to max loads says to refer to car manufacturers max figures . So it looks like they are rated to 75 kgs as well.

Brian (",)
Hello Brian,

I assume you are refereing to my reply,

The potential problem with asking for information of a specific kind, that has legal implications on a forum, is that you do not know anything about the respondants, thier proffesional standing in relation to the subject.

A 'friend' may pasionatly belive the information thay have is correct, but if your were to act soley on information from a forum, and it proved to be wrong, no court would absolve you of responsibility if your defence relies on forum evidence.

As manufactures published weight limits are used when assessing loading, it seems illogical to seek the information from an unoffical source. either by genuine error or by delberate deception you could be given wrong information, and you would have no comeback on the source, where as a written letter from a manufacture would carry significant weight in law.

The forum is a great place for discussion of generalised topics, but it is not the place to obtain specific verrifiable data.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Noise I have to say is not always an issue, but if you find it is , it will drive you wild.

Drag from the bikes will always be an issue, though you may find with caravan in tow you are not associating the bikes as a reason.

A group of us tow with cycle racks, one by one we have changed to rear of car mounted racks. We have all made the same sort of discoveries re the advantages of not having roof mounts.

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Brian,

re the saga of the bikes on the roof, we have a 7 seat Terrano, and carry 4 bikes on Thule racks, using one of those aluminium decorators platforms to gain access.

By the time you have bought a four wheel drive anyway, and are limited to 60 mph, and with a fuel consumption to cringe at, I hardly think a little extra drag is going to cause concern, assuming the noseweights, loading is correct in the van etc - yours,

Owain

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Bikes on the roof were no problem at all , loading easy as the car has side steps anyway and no noise at all.

Bike racks going back to Halfords as ALL of the locks fell to pieces some before I even got them on the car.

Also one of those convex mirrors for keeping an eye on the kids fitted at the bottom of the screen allows you to see the bikes up on the roof as you drive along.

Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts