Bird Flu

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Is it me or does anyone else get the feeling that there is a dark cloud looming on the horizon?

It looks like bird flu has Reached France and is on it's way here, which leaves me wondering what affect it will have on caravan sites with a lot of them being on farms with free range poultry etc.

It reminds me of the foot and mouth outbreak 5 years ago.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm off to Tudor Caravan Park in April which is next to the Wildfowl Trust site at Slimbridge. I'm just praying we dont have scenes like those in the far east where millions of birds have been slaughtered. Wildlife has enough problems from the interference of man without natural disasters like this.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Let's just hope that the government acts a bit more responsibly than they did with the foot and mouth outbreak, with the kneejerk reaction of mass slaughter if it does take a hold here.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We have poultry here and we are getting more and more worried especially for our lovely ducks!

They are my friends and follow me out to my office and tap on the door when the need more food !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must admit, I haven't kept abreast of this matter, I will probably do what I always do, wait and wait some more until the time for waiting is over and I can allow my big gun to come into operation "Blind Panic", well it works for me. Governments work a little differently though, don't they? Is there no vaccination available, what are the quarantine procedures if any and should it develop in humans, what are the real risks? It looks like this virus is transmitted both by wildlife and commercial stock, surely you can't go around killing all birds, it's wrong on so many levels.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Let's just hope that the government acts a bit more responsibly than they did with the foot and mouth outbreak, with the kneejerk reaction of mass slaughter if it does take a hold here.
According to the Chief Vet on the news today the government have done all within its powers so I guess its a case of sitting back hoping and praying.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Theres mention of humans catching the virus from bird saliva or faeces but no mention of dogs like spaniels being susceptible to the virus. I've seen no mention of banning wildfowling either, it will probably be banned when its too late.

TRENDING THREADS