Bird song

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I came out to the caravan that is parked just outside my house, just to check a few things in preparation for a planned outing.

Thought I would have a 'sit down' to think about anything I may have omitted.

Noticed the cacophony of birdsong going on all around me, it is beautiful; I love this time of year.

Decided to stay out in the caravan a while longer to listen and enjoy.

Sorry if this is boring to others, but the avian orchestra is presenting a wonderful performance tonight.

Simple pleasures can be so good.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with the birdsong but it is the mess they leave on the car on a daily basis that I hate. They do seem to fly between our house and the one next door and every morning another white patch arrives. Hope that we can get away from them on site though but if they are determined they may follow us.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Same for us. Our phone line crosses the drive and the little blighters sit on it using my car for target practice.
Bird song.......... I think not.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I love listening to and watching the garden birds; I even appreciate the wood pigeons and their comedic antics... but a pair of Peacocks (yes both male) seem to have taken up residence in our area. They are massive and their "song" is not in the slightest bit enjoyable!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The birdsong is wonderful except when the two little, Songsterer decide to imitat,e a local, train coming. 2 hours before the first train. .

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
This is a lovely topic,,,I mentioned something similar to my other half when we were away last time,,it's so nice to hear them each morning,,and indeed during the day.

Strangely enough, although we have them here at home too I tend not to notice it so much.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree , beautiful singing. The sparrows nest under our porch roof, fly over the cars for their daily ablutions then into the field for breakfast. Shame the mess shows up more on our black cars but the songs are well worth it B)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Talking about bird song, we live in a village surrounded by woodland. Everything used to live and sing around us, nightingales -- haven't heard 'em for years, cuckoos - again haven't heard one for years
- here or when away in the van, and this year we are struggling to see any martins, swifts, swallows, they seem to have not come this year! Where are they all? What's it like elsewhere?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a several Canada Geese that travel to /from ponds near us, different Airborne fleets , from About 6 am and at night from about 8pm. With a few " Dam busters at about 10 pm. Wonderful to watch at just above the house by maybe 20 foot. Have to get the drone up and get a video of them incoming. .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
We have a several Canada Geese that travel to /from ponds near us, different Airborne fleets , from About 6 am and at night from about 8pm. With a few " Dam busters at about 10 pm. Wonderful to watch at just above the house by maybe 20 foot. Have to get the drone up and get a video of them incoming. .

Just been in the garden this evening setting up the Hottub for both days of summer and the bird song is lovely, I don't put out food in the summer for the birds but always a dogs bowl of water for the birds available.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Right now the birds are in full volume with what seems to be competing birdsong, wonderfully noisy :) .

If some of them poo on my car afterwards then no worries, I know that there was no malicious intent ;) .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great thread and we love the local blackbirds from 04.00 onwards. However our most local birds are a couple of male pheasants who also make me feel good, since they are without question the most stupid creatures on two legs I have ever encountered. Almost hand tame and quite decorative but DIM.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I love the sound of birdsong. Really couldn't care less about any pooh!! about 6 weeks ago we got 4 hens and they are fabulous. I learn something new every day. I grew up in the centre of a city but now live in the countryside so I appreciate every bird who sings!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Reading this thread with a little envy. I'm was a wood machinist by trade and have never heard the morning curious for years, noisy machinery.
I can hear blackbirds and some of a robins and chaffinch song, the lower notes not the higher notes.
Just returned from ten days on Asdon farm CL in Cornwall and they have a little woodland walk that goes around four small lakes. There was a wren singing its head off and I couldn't hear a note, it was just bobbing up and down on the branch. Same with the skylarks on Dartmoor SWMBO said they were so loud, that I must hear them, heard nothing.
On a lighter note, I'm a bit like Radar in the MASH TV series, I can hear a Helicopter well before anyone else in the house. The Battle or Britten Memorial Flight Dakota flew over yesterday, low engine note, heard that coming..

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
The best birdsong in the world has got to be from a Blackbird. The variation of notes they use is incredible and to sit in the garden on a warm, calm evening listening to one singing really lifts your heart.

With our homes so insulated nowadays, for some children, the first time they may hear a Tawny Owl calling, could be from your campsite one evening!
The Swallows, Martins and Swifts and some other migrants are late this year is due to bad weather south of the Sahara and also the Beast from the East played a part.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes The Dakota flew over this morning at about 10AM. Lovely sound.

I think that is what targeted my car. As for birdsong, do they know "There is a green hill far away" and would they kindly go and sing on it
B)

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I love the sound of songbirds as much as anybody else but would defy anybody to admire the sound of fifty or so Crows at 4:45 in the morning as we have just experiences at a site in Keswick.

May 14, 2017
Visit site
We were camping at a site about six years ago and through various mishaps i ended up sharing a sleeping pod in the tent with my four year old son. The conversation went like this...

Son: "Dad! whats that?"
Me: (waking up) "Umm, sounds likes crows.."
Son:"Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes son pretty sure."
Son: " I think they might be Parrots!" :D

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Its been a warm few weeks up here in the North East so we had decided to leave the window open one night , it was lovely to get the breeze feel but what a mistake it became at 3:3o a.m. when the magpies were going berserk in the tree outside our house ! not a happy chap :angry:

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I love this time of year for the dawn chorus. Truly magical.

Last weekend away in the New Forest was brilliant, we had a full range of what was available, sadly not as many songbirds as there once were.

I usually put out a bird feeder and we sit and watch the birds coming down; las time we had a lot of blur tit, coal tit, great tit, robin, chaffinch and jackdaw taking advantage. We've had greater spotted woodpecker, greenfinch, starling, bullfinch and all manner of other species before, the kids love it.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......haven't heard a cuckoo for years at home but heard them every day on a rally in the New Forest last week :)

PS .....we were on a rally not the Cuckoos :silly:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts