Bit of advice re booking and sites in south west

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Just after a bit of info/advice, we went to brittany last year and booked through the caravan club we also booked again for brittany this year although we had to cancel but had booked this through select sites, just wondering what is the best way to book ferry site etc yourself or to go thorough an agent.

And any advice on the ferrys, we did dover calais last time but wont be doing that again thinking plymouth roscoff or portsmouth caen as really have no idea which are best at all.

Also after some info on sites on the south west coast prefably close to beach with family atmosphere and maybe a bar but nothing too noisy.

Any info would be great thanks alot Tracy ~

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Tracy

I go to France every year and have always booked myself. Ferries are dead easy, you can book on line with either Brittany Ferries or P&O. I travel from the northwest, so about 5 to 7 hrs depending on traffic but only use an overnight site if going from Plymouth. P&O from Portsmouth only leaves late evening so its easy to get to for then. Brittany Ferries is usually a 8am departure Sunday morn so we overnight at www.riversidecaravanpark.com

Plymouth/Roscoff is a good one for Brittany, only leaves a short drive even to South of the region.

I find booking sites via the Internet the best, working on the theory that these days if they are not internet connected they can't be much good.

Can't help with sites on the South coast as not been there yet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracy, www.campingfrance.com and click on aquitain on the map. I answered your previous post on the La Rive posting with some info.

There are loads of sites that meet your requirement in the Landes especially Biscarosse area. If you want to know something specific please ask. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracy, www.campingfrance.com and click on aquitain on the map. I answered your previous post on the La Rive posting with some info.

There are loads of sites that meet your requirement in the Landes especially Biscarosse area. If you want to know something specific please ask. Ray
Tracy, try www.mayottevacances.com I can recommend it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi tracy give camping cheque a try if you are going low season ie uptothe end of june if you chose brittaney from portsmouth there are 3 sailing dailey to caen very easy small port not too much trafic there is a cl at waterloville about 15 mins from the port and it has electric crossing takes 5.30 hrs have a super holiday peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tracy....like you we tried Dover Calais last year, like you we won't do it again until we have forgotten what it was like last year. We've always used Britany Ferries and book direct. The crossing we've liked the best is the Portsmouth to St Malo, most relaxing and you can say your holiday starts when you board. It is expensive as its an overnight crossing and you will need a cabin. We've always come back via Caen, again over night mainly because we are very poor sailors who are more suited to sleeping while afloat. Saying that and going back to the first crossing we do enjoy a bit of the entertainment and a drink before we hit the sack. As for sites have a look at th Castels chain, they are by far the best sites I've been to in France. I'm sure you can find one to suit your needs here. http://www.les-castels.com/

The best advice I can give when booking is check the prices with not only the caravan clubs but direct and by any other means you can think of. Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site

Hi again Ray, thanks for all your advice taken a look at the mayotte site and looks great have emailed them (along with a few others ) to see if they have the available dates where going for 3wks next august decided on portsmouth - caen ferry so just sort site out and finalise dates etc., thanks again for all the info where did you stay on the way down, we are hoping once off the ferry to cover quite a bit of distance first day and remainer and onto the site the second day, so probably wont be parking up till late on the 1st nite as only get off ferry around 3 and hoping kids will fall asleep later and we can cover a bit of distance then and roads may be a little quieter, thanks again any further info you have is great as we haven't been this far down before last time we stayed on a service station overnight but it was a popular one but unsure if there is any on route Tracy ~

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracy, The municipal site at Sainte Maure de Touraine would be ok for you. There would be no need to book and has all you need for a night halt for approx 8 euros. If you leave Caen at 3pm you should be able to get to it by 8pm, especially if you use the A28 between Alencon and Ecommoy to bypass Le Mans. The site is within 1 km of the A10 at junction 25.

If you do not use the A10 but the RN10 south from Tours there are many sites but you may be running out of daylight to find one.

There are of course many service areas on the autoroute but the general advise is not to use them for night halts.

Good luck. Ray

Sep 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi, you mentioned you book direct with Brittany Ferries & P&O direct online, this year I priced ferry crossings with Brittany online and through the caravan club using Brittany Ferries and the prices quoted with the caravan club were cheaper than booking with Brittany ferries themselves. I expect they do deals with large companies such as Caravan club and offer them better discounts. What were your experiences ??

Sep 20, 2005
Visit site
Tracy

I go to France every year and have always booked myself. Ferries are dead easy, you can book on line with either Brittany Ferries or P&O. I travel from the northwest, so about 5 to 7 hrs depending on traffic but only use an overnight site if going from Plymouth. P&O from Portsmouth only leaves late evening so its easy to get to for then. Brittany Ferries is usually a 8am departure Sunday morn so we overnight at www.riversidecaravanpark.com

Plymouth/Roscoff is a good one for Brittany, only leaves a short drive even to South of the region.

I find booking sites via the Internet the best, working on the theory that these days if they are not internet connected they can't be much good.

Can't help with sites on the South coast as not been there yet.
Hi, thought i'd add, if you shop with Tesco and save their quarterly clubcard vouchers you can exchange these for club card deals which are worth 4 x their face value, these in turn can be exchanged for travel vouchers which can be used to book Ferry crossings with P&O and travel on Eurotunnel. If you start saving them now you may have enough for a free crossing next year, you can also use them in part payment if you do not have enough for the full cost.

Fran

P.S.Thought i'd also add NO I Don't work for Tesco i'm intending to do this myself for my next years hols.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts