black bits in flushing tank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi folks, i have had my van for three years and on this last outing black bits came out of the flush tank of my tiolet. how do i get rid of them? ta in advance. geoff

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
many people have had this problem and many different remedies have been used.

The way i did it was to use bloo blocks in the flushing tank. They are relatively cheap and make the water a nice blue (or green if you use the green ones) colour. they stop the algae build up so no black deposits.

Cut the bloo block in to quarters and just pop 1 piece in bfore you fill up.

Pop another one in when the flush no longer has any colour. I find this is usually 5 or 6 refills.

Hope this helps.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Take a look at a product called Kemdirect Toilet additive which comes from Holland and can be used top and bottom.

It is a granular product and has no dye or smell and you will never get `black bits` again or need to use a tank cleaner.

Breaks everything down to liquid to pour away with no smell.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Every time we fill up the flush tank, we drop in a couple of sterilising tablets - the sort you use for babies' bottles - this keeps the black bits at bay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just had an expensive lesson with regards to this- the sludge has blocked the electric pump in my toilet, causing it to burn out. Not sure of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Caravan Club did a big thing about this very subject a couple of years ago. Apparently it is the Thetford pink flush additive that causes the problem. As far as I remember nobody could work out why. Thetford brought out a special flushing tank cleaner. Follow the instructions and it will sort out the problem.

I now use the Elsan concentrated stuff that you get in a twin pack with the waste tank liquid and get no problems at all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Note a common denominator. Aquakem. They originally had cleaning elements in pink and blue. They dropped those and then started selling 'Tank Cleaners' - thus increased sales. Two people have mentioned products which do not give black spots, nor clog motors, also add Elsan (Blue and Pink) which also keep eveything clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts