Black dust on van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After towing our van with 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe diesel 2.2 the front of the caravan and back panel are covered in very fine black dust, I suspect from the car exhaust,any views on what may be causing it,please?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it is not on the front of the car, then it almost certainly has to be your exhaust. I would stand at the back with the engine running and get someone to rev the engine and see if there is smoke there.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Better than standing in the fumes stick white paper to a cardboard box and leave that in range of the exhaust while you rev a bit and see if it gets sooty.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
After towing our van with 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe diesel 2.2 the front of the caravan and back panel are covered in very fine black dust, I suspect from the car exhaust,any views on what may be causing it,please?

If it is the exhaust, I doubt you may be able to recreate when stationary; unless it is chucking out soot. I would put it down to the car performing a DPF regeneration while you were towing... coating the front of the van and negative air pressure at the rear attracting the dust/soot to the back panel.

Edit: could it be brake dust? how do your discs and pads look?

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are in any doubt regarding the dust front and back of your caravan the most likely cause would be your fuel filter wants changing thats the first port of call for smoke or dust on diesels.
Sir Roger .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Custard, that would make sense,will see how often it happens when towing,fuel filter was changed 2000 miles ago along with oil and other filters etc.may give it a couple of weeks and change the fuel filter again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
Hi Custard, that would make sense,will see how often it happens when towing,fuel filter was changed 2000 miles ago along with oil and other filters etc.may give it a couple of weeks and change the fuel filter again.

Can’t see how changing a fuel filter which has only done 2000 miles would make any difference. Don’t they normally go two years or 25000 miles, that what ours do. And the 2 litre Skoda diesel doesn’t dirty the caravan and it must regenerate its dpf at some point whilst towing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
woodsieboy said:

Can’t see how changing a fuel filter which has only done 2000 miles would make any difference. Don’t they normally go two years or 25000 miles, that what ours do. And the 2 litre Skoda diesel doesn’t dirty the caravan and it must regenerate its dpf at some point whilst towing.

Agreed,your car will have been doing a regen.Your fuel filter has no bearing at all on soot out of exhaust.Most modern cars will run at least 20k before needed a fuel filter changing.Keep an eye on it,but you should be fine.cheers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have just checked my caravan, the immaculate white of a Coachman in the same White of my 2014 Santa Fe. Yes we have a light dusting of black after a tow of about 150 miles, , which I think maybe break dust and road muck, as the wheels are quite dark, and as between every Service i never use any oil in the engine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts