Black smoke from heater

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Marcus, there should NOT be any blacksmoke from your heater. This is indicative of it needing a thorough service, as it woul dseem that the burner is not getting the right amount of air to burn properly.

If the van has not been used for some time, and depending where it has been stored, it may be something like a mose nest in the heater!!

The first second hand van we bought had exactly this problem, and the amount of dry grass and twigs that were persent in the heater filled two carrier bags.

If you are not confident to service it yourself, get an approved service engineer to do the work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Marcus,

Damian is correct, the black smoke indicates poor combustion. The cause is likely to be a blockage of some sort. Small rodents or even spiders can cause it.

With the greatest respect, the fact that you needed to ask this question makes me believe that you are not familiar with the construction and principals of gas combustions. I must therefore strongly advise that you do not attempt a DIY repair.

I have had to report on near fatal incidents involving caravan gas appliances, and the worst cases were down to owners attempting to install, service or repair appliances without the requisite knowledge or competence.

Please refer all installation service and repair work to qualified fitters who have access to the essential information and test equipment. Some Insurance companies will not pay out on claims if gas work has been carried out by untrained persons.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Marcus, there should NOT be any blacksmoke from your heater. This is indicative of it needing a thorough service, as it woul dseem that the burner is not getting the right amount of air to burn properly.

If the van has not been used for some time, and depending where it has been stored, it may be something like a mose nest in the heater!!

The first second hand van we bought had exactly this problem, and the amount of dry grass and twigs that were persent in the heater filled two carrier bags.

If you are not confident to service it yourself, get an approved service engineer to do the work.
Thank you for your reply

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hello Marcus,

Damian is correct, the black smoke indicates poor combustion. The cause is likely to be a blockage of some sort. Small rodents or even spiders can cause it.

With the greatest respect, the fact that you needed to ask this question makes me believe that you are not familiar with the construction and principals of gas combustions. I must therefore strongly advise that you do not attempt a DIY repair.

I have had to report on near fatal incidents involving caravan gas appliances, and the worst cases were down to owners attempting to install, service or repair appliances without the requisite knowledge or competence.

Please refer all installation service and repair work to qualified fitters who have access to the essential information and test equipment. Some Insurance companies will not pay out on claims if gas work has been carried out by untrained persons.
thank you for your reply

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fully agree with your other answers and while it's more likely to be a spiders nest I have seen a mouse nest in the flue of a floor flued room heater and the heater still worked!....to a degree!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts