Blinds open or closed ??

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

When we leave our van in storage we always close the blackout blinds because it stops the sun from fading the curtains and upholstery and it is much easier to open and close the blinds rather than removing the tie backs closing the curtains and then doing it all back up again when time to go on hols !

After speaking to some friends they say that blinds are only intended for night time use and they will break if left closed for more than a couple of days, however, when in storage yesterday I noticed that every van that had blinds had them closed ?

It's a bit of a fuss though if we have to open and close the curtains all the time and the kitchen window and door window don't have curtains on them.

What should I do ??

Many Thanks

Ian

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian,

The blind manufacturers say to leave them open.

Apparently, if they are left closed for long periods they lose their "memory" and then they won't retract!

So, I'd leave them open.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We always leave the blinds and curtains open for security purposes - the upholstery hasn't faded !

The springs will weaken if the blinds are left closed for long periods but they can be re-tensioned.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
We generally leave the blinds closed when the 'van is in storeage - the springs haven't broken or needed tensioning yet.

We eel the same as you about having to remove and replace the tie backs - also the curtains could fade.

Keith

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
When in the past i kept a van in storage I got cardboard cut to fit the windows facing the sun and put these up wedged behind the window catches,that way it saves the blinds springs,the curtains and the upholstery remember not all windows face the sun so some can be left uncovered so sticky fingered folk can see there is nothing to steal.

Apr 13, 2008
Visit site
If manufacturers are stating the blinds are 'intended' for night time use only, perhaps by demand they should review the design of the product they are supplying. Sounds like an excuse to avoid claims from the use shoddy materials to me.

John

Apr 13, 2008
Visit site
It would be interesting to see what readers can find in their caravan or motorhome operating instructions about a specific prohibition to operate windows blinds during the "daytime" or over the "winter" period or any wording suggesting a specific maximum period of time the blinds should remain closed.

John

www.CLTOURING.com

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Quote "Sounds like an excuse to avoid claims from the use shoddy materials to me."

Er - No.

It's in the nature of springs - they have a "memory" if left under tension for long periods of time. Nothing to do with being shoddy or otherwise.

Robert

Apr 13, 2008
Visit site
Go and take a look around at UK manufacturers of, "household" blinds particulaly those used of a night for blackout reasons. Spring loaded designs are VERY popular. If they are able to manufacture such spring loaded blinds for the use in the household without worrying about "spring memory" as it is put, then the same could be done for caravans and motorhomes. I remain with my comment, any suggestion to the contrary is just an excuse.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If manufacturers are stating the blinds are 'intended' for night time use only, perhaps by demand they should review the design of the product they are supplying. Sounds like an excuse to avoid claims from the use shoddy materials to me.

John
My role as chief antagonist is being usurped, it seems.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Our van's now eight years old and we leave the blinds down all winter, and all the time when it's in storage during the spring/summer/autumn, and the blinds all still work properly. Maybe our springs have 'lost' their memory!

You can easily re-tension them, anyway, should they become slack.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We always have our blinds closed when not using it, up to now 20 odd years never had a problem , the so called memory quickly resets itself. To close the curtains with all those pleats etc is not for me,

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

thanks for the replies, since we have owned the van we have only closed the curtains once and my wife spent the rest of the weekend fussing trying to get the tie backs right.

If i took the frame off and turned it upside down so that the blinds pulled up from the bottom would this make a difference ??

Many Thanks

Ian

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I keep my blinds down during storage. Yes 2 of them did lose tension but took me about 30 seconds each to retension them. there is a slotted screw edge on end of the roller just turn it to retension.

Andrew

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I certainly agree with CL TOURING , all blinds should be "FIT FOR PURPOSE " . If these blinds are only for night time us then why do they have a reflective outer surface ? .Reminds me of the three scientists chatting over a beer about space travel . When one from , shall I say from across the waters off liverpool way , said WE ARE GOING TO SEND A ROCKET TO THE SUN , the others present laughed and said it will be far far to hot , but our friend said , ARRR WE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT , SO WE ARE GOING TO DO IT AT NIGHT . ----- STEVE .

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
Mine are left open when the 'van is being stored, but we close the curtains in the winter months.

The blinds are also left up whilst travelling too........I just can't understand why some people seem to close all their blinds whilst on the move?

Never could figure it out.........

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Mine are left open when the 'van is being stored, but we close the curtains in the winter months.

The blinds are also left up whilst travelling too........I just can't understand why some people seem to close all their blinds whilst on the move?

Never could figure it out.........
I'm with you on that one!

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI, thanks for all the replies, it's really interesting to know what others do.

On our previous van I had to re-tension the blind which was easy but on these blinds they dont have the holes on the side ??

Someone also said that re-tensioning a blind reduces its life but i cant imagine this, if i re-tension the blind does this mean it is back to as new condition ??

I must admit that I am the sort of person who does leave the blinds down whilst travelling as usually on a Thursday night I pick the van up from storage to bring it home and tend not to bother even to open the door. However when we leave the house we make sure all blinds are open for travelling as it warms up the inside and we can also see what we are doing when loading up.

Many Thanks

Ian

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian-Swift,

In 30 plus years of caravanning and 10 plus caravans we have always left the blinds closed when the caravans have not been in use. We have never had any problems with any of the blinds.

Hamer

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Warming up the van is exactly why some people close the blinds. Travelling on a very hot day can make the caravan really hot inside - and in France it can be so hot that it takes a very long time to cool down. We always close our blinds whilst travelling.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Go and take a look around at UK manufacturers of, "household" blinds particulaly those used of a night for blackout reasons. Spring loaded designs are VERY popular. If they are able to manufacture such spring loaded blinds for the use in the household without worrying about "spring memory" as it is put, then the same could be done for caravans and motorhomes. I remain with my comment, any suggestion to the contrary is just an excuse.

Would you leave household blinds down for up to 4 months at a time, I doubt it but that is what you are implying.

We have roller blinds at home & close them at night, open them next day. If we use them to keep the sun out, we pull them 1/2 way down, but the blinds are moved every day either up or down.

If you leave the caravan from November till April, that is 5 months without movement on full tension.

You pays your money & takes your chance.

Ian Swift

If i took the frame off and turned it upside down so that the blinds pulled up from the bottom would this make a difference ??

If you took a chest expander, put one handle under your foot then stretched the springs by pulling up with with your hands/arms, then repeat but change the handles through 180 degrees then stretch the springs again.

Question.

Does this make any difference?

Answer

Not from where I see it. The spring is stretched then returns back to it original shape which ever way its pulled

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts