Blocked Toilet

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Assume you mean the caravan one and not your home one. Remove the cassette and fill with warm water and gently agitate. Then remove cap on outlet and try and pour contents out. Make sure that you push the “vacuum” release valve down. If pushing valve down doesnt aid flow the just crack open the main inlet blade valve. Relate a couple of times. But if very blocked then a piece of stiff wire pushed up the outlet should help clear it. If all else fails I find that ladies have smaller hands that will go throughout the blade valve opening. :eek:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Assume you mean the caravan one and not your home one. Remove the cassette and fill with warm water and gently agitate. Then remove cap on outlet and try and pour contents out. Make sure that you push the “vacuum” release valve down. If pushing valve down doesnt aid flow the just crack open the main inlet blade valve. Relate a couple of times. But if very blocked then a piece of stiff wire pushed up the outlet should help clear it. If all else fails I find that ladies have smaller hands that will go throughout the blade valve opening. :eek:

Not to mention stronger stomachs.

Leaving it all to soak for a while in warm water may also help. Don’t use any caustic household unblockers as this will be very bad; however a biological washing pod or liquid may help dissolve things.

More prunes and less toilet paper in the future perhaps :unsure:
mel

Reactions: Parksy
Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
I cannot think of how the cassette could get blocked, unless its the spout? Even then, a coat hanger or drain wire will sort that (not that i've ever had to unblock one). Unless, the things been filled to the top, and left to fester for months? :LOL:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I cannot think of how the cassette could get blocked, unless its the spout? Even then, a coat hanger or drain wire will sort that (not that i've ever had to unblock one). Unless, the things been filled to the top, and left to fester for months? :LOL:

The drain spout on the cassette can easily be removed by turning it all the way round and pulling it off - at least for Thetford cassettes!

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
The drain spout on the cassette can easily be removed by turning it all the way round and pulling it off - at least for Thetford cassettes!
Well, i didn't know that. Which position do you turn it to. And does that disengage some tabs or something to free it?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
If you are putting wet wipes in your cassette it will be difficult to empty plus wet wipes should not go in to the sewage system,

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Well, i didn't know that. Which position do you turn it to. And does that disengage some tabs or something to free it?
Mike,
If the closed position is at 3 o'clock, then by turning the spout anti-clockwise to around 8 o'clock, this will line up the locating tabs. Gently wiggle the spout upwards and this will then remove the spout. You will be able to empty the cassette a lot better this way, but you still need to press the air button. Just watch out for the splash back as it comes out fast.
Regards,

Reactions: otherclive
Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Mike,
If the closed position is at 3 o'clock, then by turning the spout anti-clockwise to around 8 o'clock, this will line up the locating tabs. Gently wiggle the spout upwards and this will then remove the spout. You will be able to empty the cassette a lot better this way, but you still need to press the air button. Just watch out for the splash back as it comes out fast.
Regards,

Cheers mate. I am well up to speed on emptying them. I just didn't know the spout detached (so easily). Not sure i would detach mine to empty though. I would have thought it would go all over the place? Hopefully this will help the OP in some way though.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
You can also remove the slide shutter and 'hole' assembly. Take the shutter out, lay a piece of 3x2 across the top of the cassette inside the slide runners and use the timber - gently - to rotate the cover assembly anticlockwise until the arrowheads line up, then lift it out. Take care however as it can be very mucky, and if you have been in hard water areas it will be crudded up with limescale.
If the latter, reassemble, fill with warm water, and empty a bottle of Thetford cassette cleaner into it and leave it overnight. Next morning the crud and limescale will simple rinse off.
When reassembling wipe the rubber seals clean and gently run a finger dipped in olive oil around the seals to lubricate them - this applies especially to all surfaces in the concertina seal in the trap. Use nytrile gloves of course!
Oh, and do make sure the float for the cassette full detector is correctly moving and fitted in its mount else it don't work - and you know what may happen then......?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
He posted a new thread about how to unblock a bath. Quite apparent then that it was spamming
Correct Clive, it was a spammer apparently trying out a couple of seemingly innocuous non-caravan related posts about plumbing before flooding the message board if I hadn't blocked him. ;)

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Correct Clive, it was a spammer apparently trying out a couple of seemingly innocuous non-caravan related posts about plumbing before flooding the message board if I hadn't blocked him. ;)
Your on the ball, Parksy, and OC you have too much time on your hands.

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS