Blowing indicator relay. I give in !!!!

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
This is the second time I've posted on this, and I'm getting pretty desperate now! Just blown what is the 5th replacement. The symptoms are: Driving along, coupled to 'van, tale-tale (sp) works when indicating left, only to find out from a following outfit later that the indicators not working ? also this time, no n/s tail light. Now just put a live through from caravan plug (new) and both tail light and indicator working. This has been the case throughout since the problem emerged some 2 years ago. Last time the very patient tow bar fitters replaced the relay, they also put in new 7 core wire and new socket, all for free. ( well done Gary at PC Towbars Plymouth) So now where to look for proper remedy? Looking under rear of 'van the 7 core comes out from between back panel and floor, no sign of problem at rear light unit, 7 core all fine right through to plug no joins,no signs of trapping/ chafing along its whole length. Plug is the alloy metal type and I think I'll replace it again as the pins wobble too much for my liking,dont really think this is the cause.Please someone tell me they experienced the same and what was the cause.......Please!

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Terry. The problem maybe with your caravan. If you have "a bad earth" on one of the lights (ie a high resistance contact on the earth return side on one of the bulbs), the following occurs: When that bulb is switched on; because it has a bad earth the current will attempt to flow through the filament of an adjacent lamp(s) causing that lamp(s) to glow dimly. This may, in turn, cause a problem with your flasher relay.
This can occur whenever the bulbs are grouped together and use a single common earth return,(as on most vehicles). Your tail lights will have a white cable connected to the frame of the bulb holder. Make sure that this is intact. Remove each bulb, in turn, and clean tthe bulb holder & the bulb. Do this for ALL of the lamps(front & back)

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Lauriew, I'll try that...when I warm up! just been out in the artic temperatures out the front, bbrrrrr! I've changed the plug but this time I've cut back the wire an inch or two, resoldered the ends to help stop corosion. Hell of a job tho' bl...y wires all looking black with it! I usually smear with vaseline to help keep water out, but what else could I use?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Terry Ivybridge said:
This is the second time I've posted on this, and I'm getting pretty desperate now! Just blown what is the 5th replacement. The symptoms are: Driving along, coupled to 'van, tale-tale (sp) works when indicating left, only to find out from a following outfit later that the indicators not working ? also this time, no n/s tail light. Now just put a live through from caravan plug (new) and both tail light and indicator working. This has been the case throughout since the problem emerged some 2 years ago. Last time the very patient tow bar fitters replaced the relay, they also put in new 7 core wire and new socket, all for free. ( well done Gary at PC Towbars Plymouth) So now where to look for proper remedy? Looking under rear of 'van the 7 core comes out from between back panel and floor, no sign of problem at rear light unit, 7 core all fine right through to plug no joins,no signs of trapping/ chafing along its whole length. Plug is the alloy metal type and I think I'll replace it again as the pins wobble too much for my liking,dont really think this is the cause.Please someone tell me they experienced the same and what was the cause.......Please!
If you haven't got interpose relays fitted, then maybe you should have a heavy duty flasher unit.
With what you are saying your safety is at risk.
So i would do two things, fit the interpose relays, this will isolate you car electrics, and fit some extra fuses, so you don't loose all your trailer lights at once.
And fit the audible indicator module, so you get sound when the indicators are used.
I don't understand all that's in your post, but hope that helps.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Hello Ray, the relay I'm referring to is the one added at the rear when the electrics are added for towing. It also gives the audible warning, or tell-tell beep to confirm that the indicator at rear of the 'van is flashing, only it isn't in this case. After replacement, it works ok for a while, then the 'van n/s indicator stops working, but the tell-tell still beeps.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello Terry why dont you try this,buy a trailer board and couple this to the car electrics,only to test the car electrics not to drive with the van in tow.This will eliminate the car or the caravan.
I find it strange that it blows the trailer module(if ive read your post right)The module is built so that if it senses a short or an open circuit it shuts the power down to that circuit to protect it.Does the module have its own heavy positive feed?

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thats as I believe to be. Both PC Towbars Plymouth and the NCC mobile fitter that just recently serviced the 'van are at a loss as to what is causing it to blow. No doubt I'll ask PC to replace the relay AGAIN, but yes I'll try my small trailer on the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think thats a good start from Seth above, you can pick one up for £14ish and you can then eiminate the car or van. You could also open the plugs and sockets to check if there are no loose wires.
Bri

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Latest update to this problem is i think PC Towbars Plymouth are the dogs bo....s! Finally done and dusted, we hope! An additional earth was added into the 12S side of things and all seems to be sorted. Hooray!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seems like you have had a bad earth on the 12s side and the fridge has possibly been drawing excess current through the relays. A bad earth can cause all manor of quirky problems. I did a mod on my 12s socket after a pin burnout due to bad connections and excess current. I have since converted to 13pin euro with the new van but this link will explane all. http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/1.aspx
This mod is easy to do but when taking the van for a service, informe the service centre of the mod.
Hope you have no more trouble.
Bri

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
That is correct a bad earth can cause funny problems.But that is interesting because on the 12s the only wire fed out of the module is to the fog lights on the van.Hmm,so the fridge supply must have been back feeding or using that fog light feed as an earth.Brillant,well done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts