BMW 320d

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. Just brought a 2002 BMW 320d e46. It's a 2lt diesel salon with a manual gearbox. It's got a towbar fitted and just wondered if it any good for towing. With got a 2 berth caravan and I'm aware of the 80% rule.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
What's the kerb weight of the car?
What's the MTPLM of the caravan?
What's the max tow weight of the car?
What's the power rating of the car?

Edit - 85% is not a 'rule' only a 'suggestion'.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Also dont we need to know about the driving licence bit,and also when did you last go the toilet,was it solid or loose?This will be a big help in the decision made as to whether the car is up to it or not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
seth1 said:
Way hay here we go again,hymm and verse about to be preached.

Seth DONT read this!.

Hello scorpius
From data bases ( which could be wrong) then BMX has
Gross Vehicle Mass of 1915kg
Max towed mass 1600kg

That gives a theoretical GTW 3515kg Which if you caravan was MTPLM or MAM 1600 would exceed the post 1997 standard driving licence limits of combined MAM of 3500kg.

However if your towing ratio is only 80% then you will be well within this limitation.

In terms of performance the outfit should be plenty powerful enough, though early BMW's did have a reputation for being difficult in slippy conditions. This could be down to drivers not being used to rear wheel drive cars.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would suggest that the OP contacts a BMW dealer. One of the 320 series is not rated to tow although I cannot remember which one. The fact that it has a towbar fitted means nothing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
I would suggest that the OP contacts a BMW dealer. One of the 320 series is not rated to tow although I cannot remember which one. The fact that it has a towbar fitted means nothing.

This is good advice as I pointed out data bases can be wrong. However if you have the car, then a quick look at the weight plate and see if it lists the GTW as being bigger than the GVW. THe difference between the two is the guaranteed towing limit, though some manufacturers did list a higher max towed load, provide the car was not fully loaded. I don't know if BMW ever used this method.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Woodentop said:

This is good advice as I pointed out data bases can be wrong. However if you have the car, then a quick look at the weight plate and see if it lists the GTW as being bigger than the GVW. THe difference between the two is the guaranteed towing limit, though some manufacturers did list a higher max towed load, provide the car was not fully loaded. I don't know if BMW ever used this method.

Well, yay and nay. I think it may be the 320SED and it was not homologated so cannot legally be used for towing, although in such circumstances I would guess this would be reflected in the plating.

TRENDING THREADS