BMW Hybrid

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi just wondering if anyone tows a caravan with one of BMW Hybrid 3 or 5 series and if so how do they get on with it? My employer wants me to have one but I tow a Bailey Pegasus Genoa 2 birth with a 5 series diesel at the moment with no problem but I cannot find any details of anyone using a Hybrid. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
You might want to speak to BMW... There is an N/A against the towing limits for the 5 series PHEV. So it may not be homologated for towing. https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-cars/iperformance/5-series-saloon?ncp=1

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just been invited by Hyundai to the release of the Kona, electric suv, but no detail if it can to but its a healthy 1700kg weight.

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
That’s interesting if you are going maybe you might enquire if the Kona will be able to tow and if so what weights etc and report back if you don’t mind?

In the meantime I have asked BMW to advise about the possibility of towing a caravan with a 3 or 5 series. i will let you when/if they get back to me.

Thanks for both your inputs much appreciated

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the Kona is all electric then the problem might be charging on the road, assuming it can tow and has a decent range, which I doubt. From what I have seen, almost all charging points on the road will only take a single car, which would mean unhitching and leaving the caravan when charging, which might not always be possible.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
If the Kona is all electric then the problem might be charging on the road, assuming it can tow and has a decent range, which I doubt. From what I have seen, almost all charging points on the road will only take a single car, which would mean unhitching and leaving the caravan when charging, which might not always be possible.

I thought about this issue when I was stopped at Strensham services on the M5 last week, after seeing a VW Golf GTE charging. After an awful experience at Sedgemoor North, the excellent caravan area at Strensham was a relief and at this services you could (in theory) un-hitch the caravan and then drive through the car park to the Ecotricity Pumps (there are 4 I think) as the caravan area is parallel to the main car park. But you would have to leave your caravan in the parking area (not a massive issue as you could sit in it) and then be reliant on a pump being free.

If all new cars sold in the UK must at least be Hybrid from 2040 there will need to be a massive investment in charging facilities at service areas and even petrol stations. Rather than a token charging area with 2 or 3 pumps, every car space and caravan area will need to have a charging facility.

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
What I need is a decent plug in hybrid along with a good petrol (or diese)l engine which can take over when electric power has run out and which my employer will accept. I will keep on looking.

Many thanks for comments

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:

I fully agree, The first blarb, from Hyundai, states the range is 300 miles, but with towing, if it can tow, give it maybe 150 to 200 miles, maybe ok for short trips, but what about recharging on a cl /cs site with 10 amp suppy. !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts