Bonterra Park, Benicassim

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, we are looking to go to this park in September, any advice, ideas and what are Spanish roads like to tow on ? We plan to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander, and wonder what route people take, and a good stop off/sleep over point ?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

All the best and wish everyone safe journeys, great weather and wonderful trips, with happy memories.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Hugh! We have been at Bonterra Park a couple of times & love it!. Make sure you have an ACSI card, it'll half you site fees. The site is well situated, easy to find, easy to get into, and the pitches are all very accessable. There is an excellent supermarket just opposite the front gate, and a Lidl just down the road. There is a lovely beach walking distance away, and lots of restaurants in the town. We usually use the toll motorway (AP7). It is a very full days journey from the French Border, but do-able. From Cherbourg or Caen we take 3 o/night stops, Argentan (we store our 'van there), somewhere South of Limoges (lots to choose from) then about the Border, again lots to choose from. We have not done the journey from Dover! There are many lovely French Towns/Sites on the route, so if you have the time why not travel more leisurely? In France we try to use the main routes rather than the MWays. The main road, in Spain from the Border heading south is not bad, but is short of overtaking stretches, so if you hit slow moving traffic You can be held up quite badly. The MWay system around Barcelona can be a bit stressful, just take it easy, its well signposted. Im sure you will enjoy your holiday. If you have any specific queries just ask!

Jim & Ann F

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
My wife wants to go via Santander or Bilbao, which really surprises me as she gets sea sick going from Dover to Calais, but there you go ! Is there a good stopping point between these ports in Spain and Bonterra Park ? Does anyone know the cost approx, it looks about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,Hugh&Jass.As JimF has said, Bonterra Park is one of the best

for facilities we have been to in Spain,if you come down from

Bilbao, the ferry gets in 6.30ish use the AP.A2 all the way through ,then pick up the AP7 towards Tarragona, its only about 352miles to the site,even me, at a steady 50mph, no problem in one day,

if you stick to the Motorway.If you dont feel like driving down in one go try

HARO ,not halfway I know ,just off the AP and in Sep the Bodegas open up,this is the Rioja area. I think time stands still in Haro, lovely. Rob Lynne &Woofers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

I don't want to start an argument with Rob (above) but I've just been on Via Michelin (the bible of route finders) and it's come up with a distance of 439miles for the route via Tarragona.

We go a different route to Zaragoza going initaially south towards Valencia then turning off to Val d'Uixo then join the Valencia-Teruel-Zaragoza road. This is the A23 which is D/C all the way. That route works out at 391miles.

Although the distance is significantly more via Robs route I have to agree with him that driving and towing is a doddle in Spain compared to the UK. Last January I drove from the french border to Benicassim in one day without breaking sweat and I did that knowing that the days were significantly shorter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have found this discussion of great interest to me as I am considering this route from Bilboa to Bonterra Park. I have looked at a few route finders and none actually hazard a guess at motorway toll costs, (will someone tell me theyr'e free) Have anyone an idea of these costs? I look forward to any replies please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

On your behalf I have been doing my sums re your query.

First things first. Some of both routes I am about to breakdown can be done without tolls. The Spanish roads are usually of good quality and mainly don't have the problems associated with having to go through towns etc.

The two routes I have looked at are;

Bilbao- Logrono-Zaragoza-Teruel-Benicassim and,

Bilbao- Logrono-Zaragoza-Tarragona-Benicassim.

From Bilboa to Logrono is a no brainer. The countryside is mountainous and there isn't a viable alternative to the A68.

The toll for this section is 12.80euros.(and well worth it)

From Logrono to Zaragoza you do have the choice of staying on the A68 (toll 13.60) or using the N 232 which is free. Whilst obviously the A68 will be quicker, both routes follow the valley bottom of the River Ebro (Spains longest river) and therefore you pays your money,or not.

Its at Zaragoza where you have the decision to make.

You can stay on the Motorway that circumvents the whole city and make your way to Tarragona. Along the way the road becomes the A2 and the toll is 16.25

OR, you can "turn right", again using motorway style roads to the south of the city and join the newly constructed A23 to within 50km of Valencia where you turn off the A23 onto the N225 via Val d'Uxio down to the coast where you pick up either the AP7 or the A7 to Benicassim. One of those roads has a very small toll but essentially its free from Zaragoza to Benicassim.

If however you decide to go via Tarragona to Benicassim the toll is 16.25 between Zaragoza and Tarragona and then another 15 Euros from Tarragona to Benicassim.

Again on that route there are alternatives rather than using the Motorways. I have not done the Zaragoza-Tarragona route but I can say that the alternative down the coast road, the N340 from Tarragona to Benicassim is heavily used by HGVs.

I hope the above is useful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks emmitdb. You really put effort into your response and I can only thank you. I dont think Taragonna is an option for me and I think I might use Teruel which may be quicker.Thanks again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI Emmitdb.You are totally right,I was getting mixed up with

Park Playa Bara near Tarragona, well worth a vist ,not quite

the half way from the port. Benicassim was our next stop

only to find they dont do Woofers in july/Aust both sites

are excellent,sorry for the consion.

Rob Lynne &Woofers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts