Booking French vets before return to UK

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having made a right pig's ear of it last year, I thought I'd be clever and EMAIL ahead to get a vet's appointment for our dog before we return to the UK from France. However, try as I might, I can't find an email address for any of the vets near where we're going. My googling comes up with plenty of phone numbers, which is fine if you can understand quickfire French conversation, but I can't and I would only get flustered trying to arrange anything important over the phone.

What do other people do?

Jenny

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Where are you going, and which Vets have you tried? Googling doesn't usually come up with enough information - perhaps best to use Pages Jaunes, and type in Veterinaire in the first box (and then the town/city you're looking for in the other box). If you then click on the details which come up most Vets have a 'Mail' link which you can send directly (or if you don't have Outlook, copy the email address which comes up when you click send).
Other people I know use the Vet recommended by the campsite, and ask the receptionist to make an appointment! Usually campsite receptionists are willing to help!

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Loadsadogs,we always use the vet in Ardres as they have an open clinic each afternoon from 2pm to 3pm specifically for Pet Passports there is no appointment needed for these times.We go Wed afternoon and get the tunnel Friday lunch time.Perfick!!!!!
Thursdays Child

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Ardres is too far north for our last stop, unfortunately, and I can't find any info about opening times for the vets near where we'll be staying (St Quentin). I've tried the PagesJaunes site, but clicking on the Mail icon only brings up a blank form, no mention of an email address. I've tried emailing two tourist offices: one said they couldn't help, the other sent me a link to PagesJaunes. Perhaps I'm just being too anxious about the vet thing, but the dog is very precious. I'd far rather leave the OH behind than the dog!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your post weestevieb. We've already got our sites booked, but I took a look at the one you mentioned. Have you noticed their charges for visitors? A visitor less than 10 mins costs 1 euro, more than 10 mins is hiked up to 5 euros, but heck, if your visitor stays all night the charge is 8 euros. Wonder how they police that one???

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Thursdays Child,
Thanks for the info about the vet in Ardres - very useful. We are taking our dog to France for the first time - returning in mid- September. Do they still do that clinic out of the main season? Please could you also post the name and address of the vet. Many thanks.
Also we are looking at 'Camping Les Pommiers des Trois Pays' in Licques as a last stop. Has anyone stayed there and any comments?
Cheers
Paul

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Paul, the vet is open out of season as we used it late Sept last year.Also we stayed at Les Pommiersde Trois Pays.The best place to pitch up if possible is right at the back of the site on the hill. You will find that there will be some acticity as folks are taking their vans off for the winter.We liked it because it was very friendly and the owner was around if you needed him.The vet is in the square at Ardres and there is a very large car park right by it.
Address is:- Clinique Veterinaire du Camp du Drap d"Or
Place du Champ de Foire
62610 ARDRES
Tel 03 21 35 40 03
The bill for 2 dogs using the vets products was 45.60euros.
Have a lovely time. Wish we were going too!!!
TC

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi again Thursdays Child,
Many thanks for the full information, both about the vet and the campsite.
At least the vet's fee does not reflect its naming after the local historical meeting with Henry VIII (Field of the cloth of gold)!!
Thanks again. Although we have caravanned (and previously camped) in France for many years, it is the first time we are taking a dog and we were a bit nervous about tying up arrangements for the return.
Cheers
Paul

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Thursday's Child (and all)
Just back from our month in France.
Many thanks for your recommendation about the vet in Ardres. We used them and they were very efficient (now 44.5 Euros for the treatment etc). We also found an excellent CL type site not too far away - Camping Piloteries in Hardingen. This is a good alternative to the site in Licques (which also seemed OK, when we looked at it).
Cheers
Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts