Bose Bluetooth speaker

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker without the 3.5 socket,is there any way I can connect to the Tv.?
Why not use the bluetooth function? We use it and no issues, but we have a Smart TV. If the TV has a USB socket the speaker can be connected to it that way. LG TVs do not have the headphone socket so we learnt alternative method quickly.

Be prepared for people posting about why do you have a TV when away in the caravan. LOL!

Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
Why not use the bluetooth function? We use it and no issues, but we have a Smart TV. If the TV has a USB socket the speaker can be connected to it that way. LG TVs do not have the headphone socket so we learnt alternative method quickly.

Be prepared for people posting about why do you have a TV when away in the caravan. LOL!
2 reasons,1 lashing down with rain,2 awning full of people next door with their conversation filtering in with a dull drone

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think it will depend on your TV. It may not have blue tooth transmission? You can buy a dongle thing that you plug into a non transmitting device ( I think into the headphone socket) to connect to blue tooth receiver. I bought one to plug into a record player so it would connect to wireless headphones.
Mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Mel is correct. Something like this would do the job.

The TV’s used in caravans are often of very poor. I used a Bose Bluetooth speaker as a sound bar for years. It made a very big improvement. You could also just use it for radio or music.

At this stage people often complain about noise pollution! But they do have a successful volume control. And quality sound output can work well low. Better in fact than cheap ones.

John

Reactions: Mel

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Recently I've been testing a few of those dongles that transmit Bluetooth from a headphone socket.

They are ok for music but if you intend to watch TV, Dvd or other video source, many of them have a noticeable lag between the on screen audio and what you hear on the speaker or headphones. In other words actors lips move before you get the speech. I find this very annoying.

I did find one that wasn't too bad but as I'm not home at the moment I can't recall the make.

If you go this route then Amazon have plenty to choose from and if your not happy you can at least send it back and try another one.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Recently I've been testing a few of those dongles that transmit Bluetooth from a headphone socket.

They are ok for music but if you intend to watch TV, Dvd or other video source, many of them have a noticeable lag between the on screen audio and what you hear on the speaker or headphones. In other words actors lips move before you get the speech. I find this very annoying.

I did find one that wasn't too bad but as I'm not home at the moment I can't recall the make.

If you go this route then Amazon have plenty to choose from and if your not happy you can at least send it back and try another one.
At home again so I looked up the tests I'd done and this is the one that came out the best - not cheap though.

If you want to test the latency then this video will help. It's basically like a clapper board that syncs video/audio when filming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCPEidaVzQU

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not all LG (or any other brand) of TV's have Bluetooth built in
My LG tv does have a 3.5mm headphone socket. but some may not
Not all USB sockets on Bose or any other make of bluetooth speakers are wired for sound some ar just for charging.
Some Bluetooth systems are designed to receive, some are designed to transmit, and some can do both, it depends on which one you buy.
All bluetooth systems will introduce some delay ( Latency) it depends on BT standards they are made to as to whether the latency is audible or a nuisance.
I have Bose and JBL Bluetooth devices (admittedly now superseded models) and both produce enough latency to be noticable when trying to sync to video, or used as part of a live performance system.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Many TVs have optical audio outputs... SPDIF or TOSLINK. It's possible to get converters to go from optical to analogue audio. But you can also get converters that go straight from optical to Bluetooth.

I've not tried any but this is one such device.

As far as latency goes I have a number of Bluetooth dongles and headsets that have no noticeable latency. It's only when I've tried analogue to Bluetooth that unacceptable latency has occured.

My latest headset not only has Bluetooth but 2.4Ghz wireless connection and plain old 3.5mm analogue input. No latency on any input....or not that I can detect.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker without the 3.5 socket,is there any way I can connect to the Tv.?
As a matter of interest, which Bose speaker do you have as ours the Soundlink, which is a couple of years old, has the 3.5 socket. The other socket is for charging the unit and not for connecting sound to the TV. What sockets does the speaker have? Can you also tell us the model of TV that you are using and the age of the TV? Thanks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As a matter of interest, which Bose speaker do you have as ours the Soundlink, which is a couple of years old, has the 3.5 socket. The other socket is for charging the unit and not for connecting sound to the TV. What sockets does the speaker have? Can you also tell us the model of TV that you are using and the age of the TV? Thanks.
My soundlink also has a charging socket and a 3.5 mm jack, I think there is also a usb but only used for servicing.

I think that later models have done away with the 3.5 mm jack.

I remember, mine cost £99. But I think it was around 20 years ago. And still going strong with good battery life.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My soundlink also has a charging socket and a 3.5 mm jack, I think there is also a usb but only used for servicing.

I think that later models have done away with the 3.5 mm jack.

I remember, mine cost £99. But I think it was around 20 years ago. And still going strong with good battery life.

John
Ours is about 10-12 years old and still going strong.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s a Bose sound link flex (has no 3.5mm input)just Bluetooth and usb charging
Tv is from Tesco technika
We had a Tesco Technika and it now lives in a cupboard as we could not even give it away. I don't think it has Bluetooth. I don't think the Soundlink will work with it. How old is the Soundlink as must be quite a new one of no 3.5mm socket?

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I tried one of those - under a different name . Not bad for music but too much lag for watching videos.
yeah, lag is a huge issue, you need a very fast processor and most bluetooth speakers are not up to the job.
I have had good success with an amazon firestick broadcasting to a Cambridge audio Bluetooth speaker (expensive in it's day) and some high end Sony headphones, but my more recent JBL speaker has soooo much lag, it's trying to be clever with all it's processing to expand the sound and boost the low frequencies I guess, all adding milliseconds of lag
A soundbar would be better if you can find one with hdmi passthrough.
Some people are more sensitive to lag though, it makes films unwatchable for me if there is lag, but my wife rarely notices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts