Bracing between chassis and floor

May 30, 2018
Visit site
I recently purchased my first caravan a single axle 2 berth Sterling Eccles Opal registered 1998.
It didn't have a mover so I went to get one fitted. It was soon established that this couldn't be done as there are 4 after market brackets (non galvanised) fitted between the chassis and floor in front of and behind the axle in such a place that it prevents the mover being fitted. Is this a common practice?

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
No its not. If an ALKO chassis there are warnings not to drill holes in the chassis, so this looks like a DIY mod. There was presumably a reason for doing so - I wonder if the floor got wet and became spongy and this is the attempt to shore things up?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if Chris is right and this is something added to deal with a problem. I think I would get a caravan engineer to check this over as the chassis should not have holes drilled in it.
I hope there is a simple answer but would want an expert opinion to be safe.
Did you buy this privately or through a dealer, as if there is a problem this will be relevant?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bandyvan said:
I recently purchased my first caravan a single axle 2 berth Sterling Eccles Opal registered 1998.
It didn't have a mover so I went to get one fitted. It was soon established that this couldn't be done as there are 4 after market brackets (non galvanised) fitted between the chassis and floor in front of and behind the axle in such a place that it prevents the mover being fitted. Is this a common practice?
Any chance of a photo?

May 30, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and apologies for the late reply. It was a private purchase. I had the caravan serviced once I bought it by a qualified caravan engineer and he was the same chap who discovered the brackets when trying to attach the mover. He doesn't know why they have been fitted hence why I thought I would ask on here.

I will try and get some pics tomorrow

Bandy

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bandyvan said:
Thanks for your replies and apologies for the late reply. It was a private purchase. I had the caravan serviced once I bought it by a qualified caravan engineer and he was the same chap who discovered the brackets when trying to attach the mover. He doesn't know why they have been fitted hence why I thought I would ask on here.

I will try and get some pics tomorrow

Bandy

Thanks that would help and we can all help you.

May 30, 2018
Visit site
bracket_1.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the brackets. There are 4 in total in front of and behind the axle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just looking at the picture I can tell the bracket is not original, Its over engineered for the job it is supposed to do, the material is too thick, it hasn't been corrosion protected. and it doesn't fit the profile of the chassis member it attaches too. In addition who ever fitted it has drilled the chassis in direct contradiction of Alko's instructions and warnings.

Obviously I can't tell you why a previous owner has fitted them. If the caravan is still square and not drooping I'd contemplate removing the brackets so you can fit a mover.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree it is not original and feel removing them might show up some problem that caused them to be fitted.
I would not go to the expense of fitting a mover until the puzzle is solved however.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the photo and it doesnt really suggest the reason for the brackets but I dont think its anything to do with the floor. I am wondering is the chassis has been twisted and has been re-jigged and braced, hence 4 brackets, either side of the axle.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The bolts through chassis I can understand even if wrong. The fasteners attaching the bracket to the floor are a similar size, so I wonder how they are retained or what the screw into? Anything visible inside the van?

May 30, 2018
Visit site
Nothing visible in the van. Looks like coach screws into the insulation. I think considering it's my first van and I didn't pay a massive amount I will leave alone and work on my reversing skills for the time being. Hoping to upgrade in a couple of years now I know a bit more about how things work.

Many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated. I will keep an ey on things to make sure all is safe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts