brand new member

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I am collecting our first Caravan on Monday, its a 1992 SWIFT Challenger 490, and plan on towing it with our N 'reg Ford Granada 2.0 ltr Automatic. I am sure this set up will be fine with regards to weight power etc any tips (by the way its a rear wheel drive car so it should be better than a FWD car, am I right?)

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Welcome Steven. I don't know for sure, but I'll guess the Swift at about 1200kg max, and I'll guess the Granada at about 1450-1500kg and about 140hp.

If my guesses are roughly right that should give you a nicely matched outfit of just over 80%. The Granada was a sound towcar and the auto'box should make for a relaxed tow.

I don't know if it needs one, or even if it has one already, but I'd consider an oil cooler for the auto'box. Not everyone thinks them necessary but I believe they are a good insurance policy for your transmission and they don't cost much. I'm also a believer in using the best transmission fluid you can afford.

In theory rear wheel drive is better than front but 99% of the time front is fine.

As for your choice of 'van. You should get plenty good service from the Swift, they were good solid 'vans.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
The 8 valve Granada of this era only had 113bhp, so TBH I would expect a sluggish tow, and if you`re venturing into hilly areas an oil cooler is probably essential.

An old guideline for towing used to be 40bhp/tonne all-up (crude I know as it makes no allowances for torque), but at least the Swift should be comparatively light.

Whatever, its not a race or competition, so just take it steady, be safe and above all enjoy it.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
The advantage of the 8valve engine is that they tend to produce a better midrange grunt than a 16valve. That coupled to the fairly heavy Granada I would think would be pretty decent tow.

I do have a concern that the auto'box will stay in kickdown for long periods on extended uphill sections, hence my comments on fluid quality and cooling.

I used to tow a Swift Conqueror (1500kg max) with a Saab classic900 without incident, although it was slightly more powerful than the Granada but would comfortably haul up long inclines at over 60mph in 4th.

I don't think you'll have a problem but do keep an eye on the gearbox fluid.

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
The caravan weight (empty) is 900kg, I think its 1200kg max. The kerb weight of the car is 1318kg (85% of which is 1120kg) so as long as I dont over load the 'van I should be OK. Thanks for the prompt replies, I am impressed

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The advantage of the 8valve engine is that they tend to produce a better midrange grunt than a 16valve. That coupled to the fairly heavy Granada I would think would be pretty decent tow.

I do have a concern that the auto'box will stay in kickdown for long periods on extended uphill sections, hence my comments on fluid quality and cooling.

I used to tow a Swift Conqueror (1500kg max) with a Saab classic900 without incident, although it was slightly more powerful than the Granada but would comfortably haul up long inclines at over 60mph in 4th.

I don't think you'll have a problem but do keep an eye on the gearbox fluid.
HELP!!! You have made us a bit nervous now because we have a 2001 Rover 75 2.5 auto pulling a 1997 Compass Rallye 490/4 GTE and although we have towed uphill and down dale easily to date we have booked to go to Spain from Calais next March and we are concerned about your comments re; cooler for auto box.The car and caravan are dealer serviced each year but is this adequate and how do we go about sorting things if not.The Rover took 4 adults and caravan from Lincs to far side of Paris without any effort BUT!!!!!!!

WHATCHA THINK?

Sandra

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts