Breakaway cable with detachable tow bar

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to google, based on this search term " trailer breakaway law":-

"It is a legal requirement for a breakaway cable to be correctly fitted to all caravans with a maximum technically permissible laden mass (MTPLM) of between 750kg and 3500kg. This applies to all caravans, trailers and similar structures which were manufactured after 1982."

Because not all trailers require breakaway cables (i.e. trailers of less the 750kgMAM without brakes being fitted), there is no requirement for tow bar manufacturers to automatically incorporate a eye or facility to allow the use of a breakaway cable. It is up to the driver of the vehicle to specifically request or arrange to have the necessary parts fitted.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Neither of my Towbars, on my Santa Fe 2014, Witter and TowTrust, fixed units had attachments. But I fixed a carabineer onto the towbar, to attach the breack away cable.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If you have a fixed ball assembly you can buy a plate like this which will meet requirements. There is also one known as a pigtail that does the same thing.

If it is the generic fixed type, LIKE THIS secured with two bolts.

Or I suppose the composite swan neck type secured by bolts, as opposed to the fully welded swan neck fixed type.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Neither of my Towbars, on my Santa Fe 2014, Witter and TowTrust, fixed units had attachments. But I fixed a carabineer onto the towbar, to attach the breack away cable.
We have the Towtrust detachable towbar fitted in 2018 and it has the eyelet in an awkward spot.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have the Towtrust detachable towbar fitted in 2018 and it has the eyelet in an awkward spot.

You could install to it a permanently retained tailor made strop, neatly cable tied to place it into a nicely accessible point, thus bringing your fixing point to where you want it.
LINK
Fixing it with a suitable load carrying shackle.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You could install to it a permanently retained tailor made strop, neatly cable tied to place it into a nicely accessible point, thus bringing your fixing point to where you want it.
LINK
Fixing it with a suitable load carrying shackle.
OH reaches it okay as she has clipped it on many times. I have to crawl under the car to connect it. :ROFLMAO:

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My Witter detachable 4 to 5 years old and has two eyelets. Have to go into town now will post a pic when I get back,

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
So just clip on the eyelet? No attempt to loop the cable through it? Because, certainly on mine, that is impossible. And direct clipping on was advised against on the CMC course I attended.
That would be the spring clip type, You can clip the carabiner type straight onto the eyelet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That would be the spring clip type, You can clip the carabiner type straight onto the eyelet.
Providing the eyelet is in a suitable position and size to allow carabiner breakaway clip to clip straight on. My current and previous towbar both had holes in a flange plate but no way would the caravans carabiner clip fit and in one case avoid the cars rear bumper valance. But it’s not difficult to use a linking strength certified carabiner to make it all possible. My carabiner breaking strength was 25kn on the long axis. Or in “ modern “ parlance around 2.5 imperial tons 😱

• Sad
Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Providing the eyelet is in a suitable position and size to allow carabiner breakaway clip to clip straight on. My current and previous towbar both had holes in a flange plate but no way would the caravans carabiner clip fit and in one case avoid the cars rear bumper valance. But it’s not difficult to use a linking strength certified carabiner to make it all possible. My carabiner breaking strength was 25kn on the long axis. Or in “ modern “ parlance around 2.5 imperial tons 😱
I have two, only just off centre line .

Tow Bar One.jpgTow Bar two.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have two, only just off centre line .

View attachment 3370View attachment 3371
That type of clip is the stronger type suitable for direct clipping on, the older type with the spring blade was designed to be clipped back onto the cable and it will bend and release after a certain strain if the caravan detaches from the towball.
I know from a detachment crossing a field, after a friend hooked up for me.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That type of clip is the stronger type suitable for direct clipping on, the older type with the spring blade was designed to be clipped back onto the cable and it will bend and release after a certain strain if the caravan detaches from the towball.
I know from a detachment crossing a field, after a friend hooked up for me.

I wait to be corrected. But in my view there is no point on the older spring type. The carabina type can be used as either a clip on, or clip back onto the cable. It is then reliant on the breaking strain of the cable to apply the brake and snap. Something that works fine in my experience.

Also, I personally am not keen on wrapping around a detachable tow bar. Simply because, in the admittedly very rare failure of the bar, the cable will be useless. Therefore, a carabina which is cliped to an eyelet is the best answer.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts