BREAKDOWN COVER AND ESSENTIALS

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys we've booked up for France and looking at breakdown options . The as seem very expensive for a fortnight away but was looking at ADAC is this firm any good and there be any extra cost if you get towed etc. Any advice on driving in France for the first time with caravan would be good and a list of paperwork and equipment we need would also be good. We are staying at Ferme des la Aulnes regards John

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi John
Red Pennant from the Caravan Club every time for me. Over the years we have had to call on their services a couple of times and I can't see how they could be bettered. The only 'problem' and that is putting it too strongly really, was when we broke down in Germany and Red pennant handed over to ADAC. There didn't seem to be the same level of communication but the job did get sorted quickly and efficiently.
Red Pennant covers pretty well everything, breakdowns, illness, repatriation, organising earlier ferries if there is an urgent need to return home early all done extremely professionally and consideration for the caravanner.
I don't have any connection with R.P., just experience of their excellent service. Perhaps they are not the cheapest, (I don't really know), but you certainly get value for money if you need to use them.
JohnM

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
The paperwork you need for France:
Driving License (both parts),
Insurance certificate,
V5c Log Book & an authorisation letter if you are not the registered keeper.
Passport
The Passport & Driving License should be carried at all times.

The only equipment legally necessary are:
a Warning Triangle,
one hi-vis vest, which must be accessible from within the vehicle.
one breathalyser kit, although there is not a penalty if you don't have one.
In spite of what the shops at the ports & on-board the boat say, there is not a legal requirement to carry a First Aid Kit or Spare Bulbs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Add National Health card to above list so you can get treatment if ill or injured when abroad.
Driving should on right not be a problem when you land as you are very aware of it and will be over cautious. The time to watch out is when you get used to it as it is very easy to turn into another road and use wrong side then.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Make sure that you fully understand the speed limits applicable to outfits below 3500kg and above 3500kg gross train weight. Its not what your outfit weighs its what it could take if fully laden to the max weight of the car and MTPLM of the van. Very few UK outfits will come under the GTW of 3500kg. No need for kph speed stickers on the back of the van, despite what some may say as you are a legal UK outfit, but watch the speed limits relating to GTW.

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Be very Cautious. ADAC A WARNING I joined ADAC more than two years ago, and | took the "Partner Plus" package because it is supposed to cover my wife and I anywhere in Europe including the UK.
I had to call them when I was on my way to Dover in 2011 when I had a puncture on the caravan . I spoke with Munich and they sent the AA to assist me. I had a puncture on my car November 2011, called them again, the AA was sent to help me. I renewed in January 2012. Thinking everything was OK. I got notification from them January this year inviting me to renew my " Partner Plus" package once more. I paid 98.70 euros for the third year, by credit card on 31 January, two weeks later I had a letter from them telling me that my "Partner Plus" package was being rescinded to the lower version and I would only be covered whilst I was motoring in Germany. Not in the UK or any other country in Europe. I wrote to them complaining that this was outrageous as they knew I was going to be downgraded before they took my money in January. They have offered me 31.75 euros refund, the difference being the higher and lower package and had the cheek to tell me they regret to hear I am leaving them and that I will still be a member on the lower package until 31 January 2014. They won't refund the rest. Clearly I would not have renewed if they had told me what they were going do. Very underhand when all is said and done.
The last sentence in their letter Says "Thank you for placing your trust in us." So be warned

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
personaly if towing a trailer I would opt for the CC's Red pennant or the C&CC's equivelent , Most breakdown companies will not recover the trailer except if it is hitched to the car at the time,bearing in mind that you will probably be sight seeing in the car while the traler is on a campsite.& to a lesser degree they will not bring home the car or the trailer if the recovery cost of the car exceeds the market value of the car.On both occasions I have had to use breakdown service the above situations occured , fortunatly I was with CC red pennant who brought both the car & the caravan home

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
for bill_374352895

I have had ADAC since 1997 I have the Plus package do you know if your sitation with ADAC is for you only or all UK citizens?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are using Red Pennant for more than one trip it may be worth asking if you can take out a multi trip or long stay trip. I've done this (admittedly not in the recent past) and so long as the total days of your trips are inside the policy limit and the trips are within the same calendar year - all was well.
The longer stay policies are much better value in terms of £/day, presumably because the overhead for issuing etc is the same for each.
But, as others have siad, the service is excellent.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Percy there is no problem with ADAC at all. Bill used them 3 times in a fairly short time in the UK. All Breakdown organizations have the same rule but I do not think there are many members who call out many times in such a short space of time. It is not just the UK Members it can happen to but all members from all countries including the Germans.

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
"Make sure that you fully understand the speed limits applicable to outfits below 3500kg and above 3500kg gross train weight. Its not what your outfit weighs its what it could take if fully laden to the max weight of the car and MTPLM of the van. Very few UK outfits will come under the GTW of 3500kg. No need for kph speed stickers on the back of the van, despite what some may say as you are a legal UK outfit, but watch the speed limits relating to GTW."

That isn't quite correct is it?
The GTM is the cars kerb weight plus its maximum potential towing weight (not the caravan actually being towed)
So if your car weighs 1700kg and it could potentially tow 2000kg per the manufacturer, your gross train mass will be 3700kg and therefore restricted to 90kph on autoroutes
However a 1700kg car with a max permissable tow weight of 1750kg would be under the 3500kg and not limited

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys thanks for all your advice about breakdown cover and speed limits etc . After thinking it over think we are going to give ADAC a try thanks again PS anymore advice on first trip to France is welcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts