Breakdown cover for vans over 7Mts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hay All
Just been looking at breakdown cover for my car and new caravan. Not been a problem before as all my previous vans have been under 7Mts. My current breakdown company states caravans have to be under 7Mts and others I've been looking at say similar. Theres a lot of caravans out there now over 7Mts so what do you use.
All Help appreciated Richard W. :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Check if the recovery cover relates to shipping length (Which includes the hitch) or load length which is just the body length.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Richard, here is the goverment info. As the Prof states, its not the overall length but the bit that doesn't included A frame, There is another part about American trailers.
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/weight-and-width-limits

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm same as Kev , the one we used was Red Pennant , which we had no problem with ours if we needed assistance and ours is close to 8 metres.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I'm same as Kev , the one we used was Red Pennant , which we had no problem with ours if we needed assistance and ours is close to 8 metres.

Craig, believe Red pennant is with the now Caravan & Motorhome Club, correct me if I'm wrong
RAC arrival is Camping & Caravan Club,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Red pennant is the Caravan and Motorhome club overseas cover. Their UK cover is May Day Green flag. This covers vans over 7 m
Mel

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Richard, here is the goverment info. As the Prof states, its not the overall length but the bit that doesn't included A frame, There is another part about American trailers.
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/weight-and-width-limits

Many breakdown companies stipulate that the overall length (shipping length) must not exceed 7m, so the legalities of normal towing don’t apply unfortunately.

I believe that both the major clubs breakdown companies do cover caravans over 7m, as do a few other breakdown companies, but you need to check before you buy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would check with the insurer to see if the 7 m is overall or body length, but otherwise both clubs give excellent policies, wider than you will get elsewhere with no length or width limits. The CAMH is cheapest but in both cases you do need to be a member. If not check Green Flag and RAC who provide the club policies.
Another point to watch for is will the company attend if it is the caravan that has the fault, if not avoid.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
I would check with the insurer to see if the 7 m is overall or body length, but otherwise both clubs give excellent policies, wider than you will get elsewhere with no length or width limits. The CAMH is cheapest but in both cases you do need to be a member. If not check Green Flag and RAC who provide the club policies.
Another point to watch for is will the company attend if it is the caravan that has the fault, if not avoid.

In many cases the rep on teh other end of the phone will nto have a clue regarding body length and shipping length and will probably conclude that both are the same or thik the policy only applies to the length without chekcing first and usingt he correct term.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RichardW1 said:
I've just looked on Lvs website and it says vans up to 7mts
Richard W

But is it shipping length or body length? As far as recovery is concerned the important one is shipping length.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I've got breakdown cover via a Nationwide current account - £15/month but includes both full European breakdown cover for any vehicle you're driving, plus worldwide family travel insurance.

The breakdown cover is via Britannia Rescue and includes vans up to 8m.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........you have to be aware that LV / Britania Rescue breakdown cover only covers the caravan if it is attached to the covered towing vehicle.
They will retrieve both the car and caravan if the towing vehicle breaks down and cannot be repaired at the roadside. This depends on the caravan being roadworthy and having no faults.
They will not repair or retrieve the caravan if the fault is solely with the caravan.

I myself have cover via my bank account with LV and I accept this limitation to my breakdown cover.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd read the bit in the small print about being attached to the car, but hadn't realised that that was the implication. Thanks, useful to know, although like you I'll probably accept that limitation.

Gafferbill said:
.........you have to be aware that LV / Britania Rescue breakdown cover only covers the caravan if it is attached to the covered towing vehicle.
They will retrieve both the car and caravan if the towing vehicle breaks down and cannot be repaired at the roadside. This depends on the caravan being roadworthy and having no faults.
They will not repair or retrieve the caravan if the fault is solely with the caravan.

I myself have cover via my bank account with LV and I accept this limitation to my breakdown cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the reply's they have been most helpful. I contacted autonational rescue who does my breakdown cover to ask if its 7mts without the A frame but the point was mute as the rep said there wasn't a size limit so happy days. B) Richard W

May 7, 2012
Visit site
tuffty said:
I'd read the bit in the small print about being attached to the car, but hadn't realised that that was the implication. Thanks, useful to know, although like you I'll probably accept that limitation.

Gafferbill said:

This looks potentially very badly short of what you need. If you are touring and the caravan is on site how do you get the caravan home and if the caravan develops a fault there appears to be no cover for this. Both of these could involve you in major expense and would be covered by either of the big clubs policies, which also give double recovery, so if you break down on the way to a site they will take you there and if the car cannot be repaired in time take you home again. Sorry but I will stick with the clubs cover for a nominal additional sum.
Have you ever checked the cost of recovering the caravan from a site possibly 200 miles from your home, the cost would be frightening.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
[/quote]

This looks potentially very badly short of what you need. If you are touring and the caravan is on site how do you get the caravan home and if the caravan develops a fault there appears to be no cover for this. Both of these could involve you in major expense and would be covered by either of the big clubs policies, which also give double recovery, so if you break down on the way to a site they will take you there and if the car cannot be repaired in time take you home again. Sorry but I will stick with the clubs cover for a nominal additional sum.
Have you ever checked the cost of recovering the caravan from a site possibly 200 miles from your home, the cost would be frightening.[/quote]

You had me worried there as I'm taking it to Germany and the Netherlands this summer, so I phoned them up to check. They confirmed that the caravan is covered if it breaks down itself, its not just a fault with the tow car. The only thing which isn't covered is if it breaks down on my drive, which is fair enough.

Glad really, as had just done a quick quote for single person cover with European trip via the C&CC and it was coming out as £186, which is more than I'm paying for both breakdown and travel insurance via the bank.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Raywood said:
.........................This looks potentially very badly short of what you need.

Ray .......I wasn't offering any advice ........ I was pointing out some of the limitations compared to other types of more comprehensive breakdown cover that is available
...................e.g. Red Pennant.

My own caravan has a market value of only £500 and I am aware of the possible costs that could arise as you point out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Raywood said:
.........................This looks potentially very badly short of what you need.

Ray .......I wasn't offering any advice ........ I was pointing out some of the limitations compared to other types of more comprehensive breakdown cover that is available
...................e.g. Red Pennant.

My own caravan has a market value of only £500 and I am aware of the possible costs that could arise as you point out.

But Bill tour new one might be worth a lot more after your visit to the Motorhome and caravan show. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts