Breakdown cover 'weight restriction'

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been covered by the AA for the last two years and it's now due for renewal in February so I've just been having a look round.
The one that's just caught my eye is mayday, it stated 'no weight or width restrictions' this led me to think even though the AA cover my Vauxhall Vivaro and will bring my caravan home too, do they have any weight restrictions?
After a quick web search it seems if I had of ever broke down and I had a combined weight of over 3500 they would not have brought us all home. My van and lunar quasar fb when loaded do exceed 3500, I also read that the rac have the same terms.
So it looks like mayday are the only way forward for me!
Not completely sure how it's linked to the caravan club and if I need to be a member but It may benefit me joining anyway.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
A neighbour of mine has continued his CC membership long after he stopped caravanning purely to take advantage of the insurance and breakdown cover. He enjoys the club magazine which, in itself is worth the subscription he says. One day he might get another caravan - but he doesn't have to to retain membership.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ive noticed that restriction, although the C&CC seem to use RAC as their nominated breakdown agency. But they attend units over 7.6m long and 2.3m wide so perhaps its a special arrangement for members only.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
Ive noticed that restriction, although the C&CC seem to use RAC as their nominated breakdown agency. But they attend units over 7.6m long and 2.3m wide so perhaps its a special arrangement for members only.

You are correct, The service is called RAC Arrival available only through the C&CC. For a price you can arrange cover for the UK & European cover all in the same package. Something I have done for years.

Steve W

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Lishka. I have been a member of both the AA & RAC over the years and on the three times I have needed them in say thirty years AA twice RAC once they were brilliant.
However since towing the caravan and following a few threads on this Forum I have gone over to Mayday (green flag)
The main reason being that I am not confident that either of these organisations will fully cover my needs if I break down whilst towing.
I want them to turn up, load me up and get me onwards or home! I don't want them to quibble about outfit size etc.
The Mayday cover will allow you to continue your holiday by taking you to your pre-booked site then fetch you home afterwards should a repair not be possible whilst you are away.
I also understand that Mayday won't restrict you to a limited amount of calls, one member on the forum told me that mayday got him home quite a large number of times when he owned a previous fairly new but unreliable vehicle.
I was already a caravan club member so I didn't have the additional cost of having to join to qualify for Mayday membership.
I am aware that I am giving advice without a shred of experience but I feel that the members on the Forum have a wealth of knowledge and I feel a recommendation in this case is justified.
With regard to that I hope I never need to test their service but to know that I am covered if required is reassuring.
One final comment which appeals to my Yorkshire roots. For full cover, Mayday are considerably cheaper!
All the best wishes with whatever you decide.
Brian

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I posted a similar thing a couple of months ago about Brittania Breakdown who act for LV. Theirs states in the small print that your caravan must be kept at home. Most of these restrictions are simply because the person writing the rules does not understand caravanning, but you don't want to find out on a wet windy night when you are stranded that they are sticking to their rules. The only sensible choices appear to be the recognised clubs...unless anyone knows another alternative.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I changed from the AA to Green Flag's Mayday cover with the Caravan Club. Cover was about a third of the price. The cover relating to getting you to your holiday destination and then later back home is also better with Green Flag.
A word of warning, though, the normal Green Flag cover is not as good as the Mayday Cover through the Caravan Club, as the standard cover has a limit to the length and width of caravan they will recover.
The Caravn &Camping Club have similar cover through the RAC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi lishka,
while the information posted above by other members is correct there is a couple of points I would add before you make up your mind,
the cover that has been talked about is "MAYDAY" cover from green flag VIA the CC so yes you have to become a member first in order to get it, membership is I believe around £36 for the year but of course once a member there is other benifits to be had like insurance and accses to club sites particulary the CL network of 5 van sites, and such like, the other club the C&CC has similar benifits and has a similar breakdown scheme through the RAC, so check out both to see which best suits your needs although either will be better than what you have now.
I know this for a fact as I was with the AA for more than 30 years but ditched them on renewal in favor of MAYDAY 3years ago as the sums just did not add up, CC membership + mayday for less than half the price of the AA, plus better cover whilst towing,
although MAYDAY has no limit on weight or size, this did not apply as I have only a small van and car however the double journey cover and van recovery was well worth the effort of changing, yes the AA would recover the van in the event of a vehicle breakdown, but if the van was at fault ie due to an accident or say a wheel bearing going you would be on your own as there is no cover for this,

this was demonstrated to me just before christmas when whilst at B&Q this RAC man who was stood on the carpark asked if I had breakdown cover, yes thanks im fine I said "who with" said he "green flag mayday" oh we are much better than any of those micky mouse ones he said, this rattled my cage a bit, "oh yes" said I so prey tell me "as I am a caravanner what are the extra benifits could I expect",
after reeling of a list I said "well I have got all those allready I mean extra like will you take me to my destination and then back home again OR if the van breaks will you just recover the van without the car "er no" he said. well what about dropping us off at home and comming back the next day to take the car to the garage if it's late, or dropping the car off at the garage and taking us all home, "er no" he said, "well what about taking the van to the storage yard while the cars being repaired do you do that" no he said "but then one would do that"
"well actually green flag mayday does exactly that" I said and for half the money you want so I will stick with micky and co for now thanks "good afternoon"
what tickled me was the RAC does give caravan "arrival" cover through the C&CC but only for members, but they won't tell you that on a B&Q carparks or anywhere else,

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Thanks very much for all of your input, it's very much appreciated.
I was thinking of rejoining the caravan club anyway, I let my membership lapse a couple of years ago and it now looks like it's going to really benefit me. Thanks again for all your advice.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Swmbo was using the Land rover in the snow for work and I went to go out in her car and it wouldn't start! Green flag were out to me in ten minutes!!!! I have used them a few times, solo and towing and they have been prompt and helpful every time!!! Also much cheaper for the two of us and two cars than the opposition.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Goes to show what I know I have mayday and I thought I was only covered when towing/on holiday with van. Did not realise it covered me in general when just solo DOH
still in my 1st year of caravanning always learning.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
X5 Neil said:
Goes to show what I know I have mayday and I thought I was only covered when towing/on holiday with van. Did not realise it covered me in general when just solo DOH
still in my 1st year of caravanning always learning.
don't tell anyone but since joining mayday in 2010 I have had two breakdown covers because one came free with the insurance premium on the car, ok it's of no use when towing but it does cover me for other cars and when a passenger so it's not all bad,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Likewise I get Volvo Assist included in the XC70 service this has Europe wide cover include and home calls. We also have Mayday on the Volvo and Nissan and Adrian Flux insurance with breakdown cover on the Pajero. This latter one will come to you on greenlanes too and covers home call and Europe. Going to include the Pajero under Mayday for towing purposes as Adrian Flux don't provide such good cover as Mayday.

TRENDING THREADS