Breakdown recovery - what a rip off!

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I am a bit frustrated at the cost for recovery on my Abbey Aventura 330. As a member of the C&CC I got a quote from RAC. They want best part of £160 for national recovery, which is really silly considerring to cover the just the car with an equivalent policy is less than £50. Considering you are only allowed 2 breakdowns per year, I think they are making a juicy profit out of us shed draggers! Has anyone found a more realistic/competitive quote, perhaps a normal car cover that also includes a decent size caravan? I'm tempted at the moment to risk it without the cover considering my usage.

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
That;s expensive.

I have the top level of caravan club [green flag] cover and it's no where as expensive as that.

Caravan Club prices

# Premium UK -

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Guy

there have been a few threads previously on this subject it is well worth a look at them some of the comments are a real eye opener, breakdown recovery is like insurance you only find out how good it is when you need it.

I was in the AA for over 20years and had the top level of cover year on year the cost increased but as I was happy with the service and kept paying it, then last year after a thread on this very subject highlighted problems with van recovery if it was a van fault I read very closely all the small print in the renewal pack and soon realised certain short commings that were not widely known.

armed with this info I rang the AA and asked specific questions about my cover the answers I got confirmed that there was indeed some problems so I cancalled my membership.

I am now with green flag mayday via the exclusive CC policy (includes double journey cover available nowhere else) at a cost that even including club subscriptions is

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Guy

I am withe the CC Mayday also, I have top level cover on 2 vehicles and that includes double journey cover on the caravan and have just renewed at a total cost of

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Guy , you have to remember that any form of Roadside assistance cover is Insurance.

But unlike Car insurance you dont have to have it , you have to personally decide it its worth the cost based on what you think you may use it for and what it will provide you.

Like any insurance its expensive till you have to make a claim.

I work in the recovery inductry and cheap is not neccessarily good , nor is expensive.

Consider this , Greenflag dont have any employed roadside staff they are all contractors. I wont bore you the facts but a significant number of such independant contracts are going bust every week. Greenflag no doubt have a relentless task of ensuring they have sufficient contractor coverage across the country in thetough economic times.

RAC and AA have employed Patrols and the backing of huge parent companys , AA being owned by Saga and RAC by Aviva - the worlds 5th largest Insurance provider. So you can see whilst AA and RAC may be a bit more expensive , their not likely to go under any time soon and will pretty much be able to service their customers with one of there patrols across most of the UK.

With other providers your may be at risk of them not being able to provide a service or that service taking unacceptable time to arrive , you have to make that call.

I'll stick with the No1 provider knowing they have a good product , have been voted by paying customers the No1 for the last 3 years , and , have massive resource and backing in their parent company.

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have been a member of Green Flag now for about 16 years. In all that time I have only had to call them out twice. Each time the service was excellent. One of the times I had to be brought home on top of a low loader with the caravan towed behind. I have my van stored about 6 miles away but it was no bother for the driver to deliver my van to storage and then take my car home. I can't praise Green Flag high enough. Excellent service and reasonably cheap.

Ken

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As has been said, you pay your money and take your choice. After having a major breakdown in the south of France this year, i was glad I was in the RAC arrival scheme through the C &CC. Brilliant service, full recovery, no quibblles or extra cost, just first class service. As I have already said, worth every penny and no body could have done the job better, may be cheaper, I don't know, but I will stick with what I know & trust.

Steve W

G

I think there are 2 separate issues here. There is the UK recovery Schemes run by many organisations, and there is also separate EU cover which most of us take when travelling on the Continent. The Continental cover is usually very good, but expensive if you charge it on a daily basis. Nobody would take out such cover on a 365 day basis. The UK set up is much cheaper, but may not offer all the 'bells and whistles', the choice is yours.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
rogerP

it does not follow that bigger is better or a the higher prices paid to them gaurantee a better service if it did I would still be with the AA. the truth is they are more expensive with less cover because they have greater overheads, yes they offer a good service up to a point for the everyday commuter and weekend solo tourist but when you require that bit extra it is not in the script.

we as caravanners require more than the every day normal motorist these are easily catered for and can be speedily dealt with it is only when some dificulty is experienced the process gets complicated read the small print on your renewal as I did and it becomes glaringly obvious somethings are not allright.

that is why the recovery options are better when gained through the caravan and camping clubs because these options are tailor made to a specific use and contracted out.

just try and get the RAC to cover privately all the options they offer through the C&CC "no chance" and you have not a hope in hell of getting the AA to do a double journey recovery if your van wheel bearing goes while on your way to a holiday destination.

just think about it and then tell me your better off.

colin.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
rogerP

it does not follow that bigger is better or a the higher prices paid to them gaurantee a better service if it did I would still be with the AA. the truth is they are more expensive with less cover because they have greater overheads, yes they offer a good service up to a point for the everyday commuter and weekend solo tourist but when you require that bit extra it is not in the script.

we as caravanners require more than the every day normal motorist these are easily catered for and can be speedily dealt with it is only when some dificulty is experienced the process gets complicated read the small print on your renewal as I did and it becomes glaringly obvious somethings are not allright.

that is why the recovery options are better when gained through the caravan and camping clubs because these options are tailor made to a specific use and contracted out.

just try and get the RAC to cover privately all the options they offer through the C&CC "no chance" and you have not a hope in hell of getting the AA to do a double journey recovery if your van wheel bearing goes while on your way to a holiday destination.

just think about it and then tell me your better off.

colin.
Colin , you're very right cost is not a guarentee cheap can be good , expensive can be bad.

For info the reason RAC cant offer a direct product other than with the C&CC is they are contracted to the C&CC to only offer through them.

Its a trading agreement and part of the contract they have with C&CC , rightly or wrongly.

European cover is a different prospect to UK and none of the main UK providers actually service you abroad its usually a partner company and their business model can be alot different to what we in the UK have and therefore possible better.

Take ADAC in Germany , they have helicopters and paramedics on the payroll to attend autobahn related incidents but they are still a Motoring Oranisation primarily offering roadside assistance. They just happen to have the contract for Autobahn rescue as well(bit like our Highways Agency).

So next time you're stuck on a AutoBahn and a paramedic turns up he/she may just also have a few spanners in their medivac bags as well. (light hearted joke that!!)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Have just had someone un covered (very basic AA cover only)on a couple of rallies, arrived on low loader but AA were going to charge

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
12:50 PM i actually work part time in breakdown (independant)

What i will say is that the prices quoted for the RAC cover are high i would not recommend going outside the big 4, from a personal experiance i have always seen the best customer service from both CC/Green flag and RAC

For example: in the summer i picked up a renault espace (hatefull cars) and a large bailey, the owner was on his way to france with his family he had both his breakdown and his travel insurance with CC, i put the car on the bed and towed the van down to a site nr portsmouth that the CC had temp booked for this family (at 2am i am sure that gave the moaners something to talk about) the following day the car was collected and dropped off at the dealer, i believe the car was repaired and the CC rebooked the ferry tickets a few days later

Thats real customer service!

One other thing to bare in mind when getting your cover for abroad, nearly all the companies won't repatriate you car/van if over 10 years old

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Martin, I'm puzzled by your comment about length restrictions, because the RAC Arrival scheme terms definitely state 'No width or length restrictions for caravans and trailers of proprietary make'. Are you sure you were quoted for RAC Arrival, and not just for the standard RAC package? The Arrival scheme is one of the very few to accept longer caravans.
The woman was quoting for arrival and stated categorically that no vans could be over 26' shipping length, when I questioned this she was quite rude and said I could go on line and put in a complaint but that was the rule. In addition she was unsure why my car was not on the system either and told me that it must be an import, which it isn't. I certainly won't try them again or recommend them

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
I've just had a bad experience with Green Flag.

Last week I broke down in the work's car park, I live 20 miles away. Smoke coming from engine so obviously car had to be towed to a garage which is 3 miles away from my home. I asked the lady on the phone if they would take me home and take the car to the garage. Green Flag stated there would be ONE recovery only - so me & the car home, or car to the garage only and we pay the PREMIUM cover for

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Chelsea,

If that had happened to my wife, I would have been livid.

I can understand the argument that they are a breakdown recovery service and not a taxi service, but I would have thought they would have also taken you home, out of common courtesy....maybe you should change your name to Arsenal,

best regards, Martin

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Chelsea,

I can understand the argument that they are a breakdown recovery service and not a taxi service, but I would have thought they would have also taken you home, out of common courtesy....maybe you should change your name to Arsenal,

best regards, Martin
Hi chelsea,

Sorry to read about your plight with the breakdown service.

I would just like to say that i haven't had any problems with my breakdown service RAC,the engine management light came on, on our nissan xtrail,rang the dealership they told me to ring RAC to get the car towed in.

Half hour later the guy was with me & towed my car to the dealership & waited until i had booked the car in & then took me home.

Our annual cover costs arround

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
Chelsea,

best regards, Martin
i have premium cover with greenflag,would they take my van to storage and me to a garage or home if i broke down,would they change a wheel on my van if it went,sorry about these questions as just got the van only my second time towing it across the a66 to the lakes next weekend very frightening

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
11 Oct 2009 08:51 PM i have premium cover with greenflag,would they take my van to storage and me to a garage or home if i broke down,would they change a wheel on my van if it went,sorry about these questions as just got the van only my second time towing it across the a66 to the lakes next weekend very frightening

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts