BREXIT RIPOFF

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. off to France again this summer. looks like I've wasted another 300 pounds on post BREXIT madness, getting our passported pooch rabies vaccinated AGAIN! twice in less that a year. surly there is a risk to the dog getting over vaccinated??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lovo said:
Hi all. off to France again this summer. looks like I've wasted another 300 pounds on post BREXIT madness, getting our passported pooch rabies vaccinated AGAIN! twice in less that a year. surly there is a risk to the dog getting over vaccinated??

I think that is a question better suited for your veterinary surgeon, not a caravan forum :side:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you will be okay as one of mine was vaccinated twice within weeks. On the first vaccination she didn’t show enough antibodies in the blood test. The second vaccination and repeat blood test was required and her antibody count came well above the threshold level. That was over 11 years ago so I don’t think it caused her any harm. Anyway Switzerland used to insist on annual vaccination. So your fears are unfounded.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I think you will be okay as one of mine was vaccinated twice within weeks. On the first vaccination she didn’t show enough antibodies in the blood test. The second vaccination and repeat blood test was required and her antibody count came well above the threshold level. That was over 11 years ago so I don’t think it caused her any harm. Anyway Switzerland used to insist on annual vaccination. So your fears are unfounded.
Many medical doses are determined by the size of the animal.

Unless someone has all the information about the medication and the animal it is poor advice to suggest that a second dose is safe.

Check with your professional.

Using a forum for this type of question is dangerous, because you have absolutely no way of knowing how accurate or safe the advice is.

All you need to do is to phone your Vet, you will know your through to qualified people, and your concerns should be correctly addressed. Chances are it won't cost you anything!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lovo said:
Are we really Post Brexit :silly: :woohoo:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:

Unless someone has all the information about the medication and the animal it is poor advice to suggest that a second dose is safe.

Using a forum for this type of question is dangerous, because you have absolutely no way of knowing how accurate or safe the advice is.

All you need to do is to phone your Vet, you will know your through to qualified people, and your concerns should be correctly addressed. Chances are it won't cost you anything!

Prof
You cannot obtain rabies vaccine other than through a vet. Therefore if the OP has had his dogs done twice in less than a year it can only be via a vet who would know from the dogs EU passport when it was last vaccinated and who also has access to the anti rabies vaccine makers data sheets.

I get the feeling here that you think that I am giving animal health advice based on a self medication regime. I can assure you that despite my many skills administering vaccine via a syringe and then taking bloods are not within my skill base. Plus I don’t have authority to endorse a pet passport despite being able to do it for a humans passport.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:

Prof
You cannot obtain rabies vaccine other than through a vet. Therefore if the OP has had his dogs done twice in less than a year it can only be via a vet who would know from the dogs EU passport when it was last vaccinated and who also has access to the anti rabies vaccine makers data sheets.

I get the feeling here that you think that I am giving animal health advice based on a self medication regime. I can assure you that despite my many skills administering vaccine via a syringe and then taking bloods are not within my skill base. Plus I don’t have authority to endorse a pet passport despite being able to do it for a humans passport.

Don't let the Prof needle you Clive.
I'm sure that his cautionary intervention is well intentioned but the O. P. has every right to ask questions of a group of pet owners who regularly travel to the continent with their pets.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you read NHS advice about the vaccination of babies you will see that it says:
"Vaccines work by making us produce antibodies to fight the disease without actually giving us the disease."
It also says
You cannot overload the immune system as the bacteria and virus are weakened or killed.

I am not a vet but given that the second set of vaccines was given by a vet; and having an understanding of how vaccines actually work; I think it is safe to extrapolate to a conclusion that your dog will be alright. Also based on an understanding of how vaccines work, if your dog wasn't alright, you would know by now.
Its the blow to the wallet that will cause more distress than the vaccine effects.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Lovo said:
... surly there is a risk to the dog getting over vaccinated??

That is the question , and unless anyone here is a vet, I doubt we can answer it.
I read it that both Clive and the OPs vets made the decision. So is there still a question? Note Mel’s latest response too.
You cannot give your dog any vaccination . It must and only can be administered by a Vet.
No problem .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I talked to our vet, as eldest dogs Passport / vaccination doc didn't show the anti bodies Titration Test. As we had the original he was happy to sign the new passport. But the younger dog , will only have to have a blood test, for the Rabies Tritration test,
But you may as well go for the full revac, and test, "If The Uk pulls.

We are not going over to France this year, much to my French, Boules team, disgust, as they love the Cumberland Sausage and Really strong Chedder Cheese, that we take over.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not disputing that only vets can obtain the vaccination shots, But at the same time only a vet could provide a professional based response to the OP's question.

Whether canine vaccines work in the same way as human ones, and whether the risks are the same again only a Vet could answer.

It would be unwise to take the responses on a forum over and above those of a professional.

I too suspect the OP was simply bemoaning the cost they'd been put to, but there was a defined question about multiple vaccinations and their possible negative effects in the post.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I am not disputing that only vets can obtain the vaccination shots, But at the same time only a vet could provide a professional based response to the OP's question.

Whether canine vaccines work in the same way as human ones, and whether the risks are the same again only a Vet could answer.

It would be unwise to take the responses on a forum over and above those of a professional.

I too suspect the OP was simply bemoaning the cost they'd been put to, but there was a defined question about multiple vaccinations and their possible negative effects in the post.

And I gave a valid reply based on my dog having to have two vaccinations within a few weeks in order for her antibody count to exceed the threshold to qualify for a passport. Whilst not a vet my experience provided some basis of information to the OP. We all accept that only vets can administer the rabies vaccination but I fail to understand your position that owner experience isnt relevant to the OPs question.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Proff , Lovo was stating They had their Pouch revacsinated, and I think light heartled mentioned the possibility, of over vacsinating. As anyone who has their , Dog Cat or Ferret , vacinated against Rabies are told the problems , the Latest vaccine are so good that there is no need for a Titration test , but with this "Breackfast" thing , the possibility is that we need the the Titration, to be marked on the animals Passport. If you wish to bring animals to and from the Uk. This will affect animals from Europe as well.
Except for the super rich who keep their pets on the private aircraft and yachts and then smuggle them in in Hand bags.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
Lovo said:
... surly there is a risk to the dog getting over vaccinated??

That is the question , and unless anyone here is a vet, I doubt we can answer it.
I read it that both Clive and the OPs vets made the decision. So is there still a question? Note Mel’s latest response too.
You cannot give your dog any vaccination . It must and only can be administered by a Vet.
No problem .
Dustydog has summed up this situation perfectly.
The OP appears to have had to have his dog vaccinated again to satisfy new requirements.
I'm sure that he has already obtained the professional opinion of the vet who vaccinated the dog.
The point scoring really has to stop now, we all know that a vet will give correct advice so please desist from trying to dictate which questions forum users can ask on this forum.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Proff , Lovo was stating They had their Pouch revacsinated, and I think light heartled mentioned the possibility, of over vacsinating. As anyone who has their , Dog Cat or Ferret , vacinated against Rabies are told the problems , the Latest vaccine are so good that there is no need for a Titration test , but with this "Breackfast" thing , the possibility is that we need the the Titration, to be marked on the animals Passport. If you wish to bring animals to and from the Uk. This will affect animals from Europe as well.
Except for the super rich who keep their pets on the private aircraft and yachts and then smuggle them in in Hand bags.

Hutch it’s not just the super rich who have their dogs on the ship. I spent a period on a grey funnel line ship and the captain had his dog on board, and it was a nice break from duties to take the dog walks around the flight deck or vehicle decks if it was wet. He even had his wife’s mini traveller loaded on the ship and on one occasion we took it ashore in Sorento in a LCVP landing craft and had a nice couple of days touring the Amafi coast. The dog stayed on a small island on Gracie Fields Estate so no laws broken :)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth, we have had our dog vaccinated against rabies every year and never had a problem. Sadly, we cannot go to Europe this year, but Lucy will still have her jab.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts