Bringing dogs back to UK

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I plan to book the ferry/tunnel today for next summer even though there is a lot to do in planning the trip to Europe. We have always used the Dover-Dunkerque route when we have the dogs with us as well as being the cheapest the return procedures for the dogs are quite relaxed. When arriving at the check in booth they agent gives you the microchip reader and I record the dog's chip which the agent checks against the pet passport. This is repeated for the second dog.

What are the procedures at Calais Ferry Port and the Tunnel port?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Clive ,
Not that we have dogs but I would have thought if you're going through the tunnel the dogs would just stop in the car ? Your in there for half an hour and you're out again .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Clive ,
Not that we have dogs but I would have thought if you're going through the tunnel the dogs would just stop in the car ? Your in there for half an hour and you're out again .

Thanks Craig. I seem to recall one route where dogs had to come out of the car and go to an office where they were checked. And once out of the car they were required to be muzzled. This was in the early days of pet passport but i haven't given it further thought as we always used Dunkirk. But with the easing of the timescale between seeing a vet and entering UK I'm thinking of Calais ferry or Tunnel on the return trip.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well it is Dover-Calais return as the prices quoted for Dover-Dunkirk route led me to think I was making a down payment on the ferry itself. And even via DFDS Dover-Calais the price return was £290 cf P&O £184. So the dogs will just have to live with whatever procedures are used in Calais ferry port, which pre March 2019 will be smooth and well-proven.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we do the Dover/Calais and return a couple of times a year with our Sprocker Spaniel and can tell you that the procedure is exactly the same. They give me the detector wand, I find the chip in her neck, paperwork is checked and we're on our way. Had a bad experience at Caen a couple of years ago when the vet had signed in the wrong place. Had to leave the check in area, go to the harbourmaster's office. He had to phone DEFRA in the uk who agreed to our travel. Always double check the vet's work now.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
At the tunnel before the check in lanes, just follow the paw prints on the road to pet reception which also has a very good dog walk area, the dog is scanned we were given the scanner, then the passport was checked, then you get a sticker for the car window, then off to check in. Very quick and easy.

35779071825_1dca685faf_c.jpg

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
Well it is Dover-Calais return as the prices quoted for Dover-Dunkirk route led me to think I was making a down payment on the ferry itself. And even via DFDS Dover-Calais the price return was £290 cf P&O £184. So the dogs will just have to live with whatever procedures are used in Calais ferry port, which pre March 2019 will be smooth and well-proven.
Clive, I always book my ferry with the Caravan Club, Dover/Dunkirk.
Last spring, car, caravan, two people & two dogs, £220.. The Autumn tour in September, they quoted the same figure. The only problem was this time it was for our camper van! I told them I'd go elsewhere, at which point the price suddenly came down to £140! As £60 of this was for the dogs, and was the same price as Autumn 2016,I accepted.
It might be worth my while checking now for next spring.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Already booked via CMHC £290 inc four caravan club vouchers for Car Caravan two dogs and two adults. Nice sailing times too mid June to mid July. PO Ferries Dover- Calais as DFDS prices on both routes astronomical. Also DFDS on both routes had fully booked vessels unless we travelled at times not really good for us ie depart France early evening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts