• Click here to view guides for helpful forum features.

Brit in Holland Considering Purchasing Caravan in UK and Bringing to Holland


Jul 25, 2021
I'm considering purchasing my first caravan and the best layout for my family is in a caravan only available in the UK. So, I have a couple of questions on 1) registration, and 2) tax.

If I purchase a new or used caravan in the UK and tow it to Holland where it will remain (I live in Holland, and have done for 5 years), what will I need to do in terms of registration? The only thing I can find on the RDW website isn't clear on this particular situation.

Are caravans brought from the UK to Holland (permanently) subject to VAT (BTW in Holland)? If so, if I purchase it in the UK and bring it over myself (by towing), is it classed as a personal possession at the point of bringing over, and therefore not subject to any tax? If not, does someone else purchasing it in the UK and gifting it to me make any difference? Or, would keeping it in the UK for a certain period of time (e.g., 6 months) before bringing it to Holland make any difference?

Thanks for any help given!
Jun 16, 2020
Not an area that I know about so very little help coming from me. But I do believe that there are specialist companies who will deal with the paperwork, VAT, duties transport etc.

Try a Google. Here is an example.

But warrantee‘s need to be considered.

Nov 11, 2009
Caravans in U.K. aren’t registered by HMG. There’s a commercial registration scheme called CRIS that allows a buyer to check its validity. Look up the details on their website. As regards registration in Netherlands you need to check with their authorities. For VAT or any import duties again following Brexit it has become more complex and the Dutch authorities can advise how such a purchase may be affected. A private sale should not attract VAT but a dealer sale will. I’m sure a U.K. dealer would have to charge VAT but how you reclaim it ??????? There is a process as it’s been done for years when non EU visitors purchased items and then reclaimed VAT.
Mar 14, 2005
You will definitely need the whole vehicle type approval certificate applicable to the VIN for your caravan before you can register it anywhere - something that UK manufacturers only seem to issue to the customer upon request, so you will have to ask for it.
Whether you can import it to the Netherlands without paying import duty by declaring it as personal effects depends on Dutch customs, authorities, but usually one has to have owned the goods for a certain minimum length of time before the import - often 6 months or a year.
Last edited:



Latest posts