Broad Lanes Daventry rescues me after v.a.t. mix up!!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We were due to pick up our caravan next Saturday from a so called dealership in Mansfield, Notts. A make of bread!!!!

Hope they read the forum as they will know who they are.

Just very unfortunate that we are unable to name and shame them.

We bought the caravan last October at the NEC Birmingham.

So called dealer seemed very nice and gave us a great deal.

We paid ú500 deposit, and waited for our caravan to be delivered in February/March.

A few months ago when the VAT rates changed I rang the Dealers to ask them whether the new rate would apply. I was given the answer "yes, as that it was the manufacturer will charge us e.g. 15%"

However today SHE has called us to tell us that they are going to charge us the 17.5% as the deal that she gave us at the show didn't warrant us being charged the 15% VAT rate as she would lose too much money and not make anything on the caravan.

I am absolutely outraged!!!

She was so rude to us and would not back down and when we asked about getting our deposit back she didn't hesitate to give us it back.

Does anyone know how I stand on this, as I am very reluctant to give them another penny of my money but want to make sure that they do not do this to anyone else. I am going to take this as far as I possibly can.Hi

We were due to pick up our caravan next Saturday from a so called dealership in Mansfield, Notts. A make of bread!!!!

Hope they read the forum as they will know who they are.

Just very unfortunate that we are unable to name and shame them.

We bought the caravan last October at the NEC Birmingham.

So called dealer seemed very nice and gave us a great deal.

We paid £500 deposit, and waited for our caravan to be delivered in February/March.

A few months ago when the VAT rates changed I rang the Dealers to ask them whether the new rate would apply. I was given the answer "yes, as that it was the manufacturer will charge us e.g. 15%"

However today SHE has called us to tell us that they are going to charge us the 17.5% as the deal that she gave us at the show didn't warrant us being charged the 15% VAT rate as she would lose too much money and not make anything on the caravan.

I am absolutely outraged!!!

She was so rude to us and would not back down and when we asked about getting our deposit back she didn't hesitate to give us it back.

Does anyone know how I stand on this, as I am very reluctant to give them another penny of my money but want to make sure that they do not do this to anyone else. I am going to take this as far as I possibly can.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sam, with the greatest respect, this is not the place to ask for legal advice.

Your best bet is to talk to a solicitor or CAB.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Damian

I totally understand, and will be seeking legal advice with my Solicitor. Dustydog, I am going to report them to the Inland Revenue.

Sorry!!! I am just really mad. We have 3 very disappointed children this evening :-(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sam

It's HM Revenue and Customs , not Inland Revenue.

Look on the brightside, this may be a blessing in disguise. How do you know what the after sales service will be like?

I'd get the

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Damian - I thought that this forum was for all caravanners to use to get help and assistance from other caravanners and from Practical Caravan as one of the main caravan magazines - I see no reason why Sam cannot ask for advice about a situation that possibly quite a few of us have been in with some (thankfully a minority) dealers - I am sure that the dealer cannot now charge 17.5% VAT instead of 15% - a call to HM Revenue and Customs might be useful - I would agree that Sam would benefit from legal advice and both clubs can help - its a pity that we cannot name names so all of us can boycott dealers such as this one and go elsewhere in future - good luck Sam

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Jon for your support.

What I wouldn't give to name the Dealers in question.

This for us is not about the money, but it is a lifestyle change for us. It is quality and fun times we are going to spend together as a family. The way we were treated today you would have thought we were spending

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Caravan dealer ,Mansfield , make of bread. I think theres enough there to work it out Sam.

They can't do this to you Sam. Ask them what rate it will show on your invoice.

The vat change does not effect the profit as said already so they are just trying to boost profit.

As a caravan salesman myself I find their behaviour disgusting, all caravans we sold were adjusted to the new rate on delivery.

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sam,

You don't need to name the dealer - I used my 'loaf' and googled Mansfield & caravans....

Can't help but agree with Dustydog here - if they are offering you a refund take it and run. Don't forget you'll need to go back for warranty issues and servicing so its better to find out problematic dealers now and go elsewhere.

I can't see any point in getting into complexities of VAT law and tax point dates (believe me you don't want to). In essence the dealer is charging VAT as an agent for HMCE and as such if you have no invoice and the van hasn't been supplied its likely that the tax point date should be the date of delivery - in which case it should be 15%.

The rate of VAT is irrelevant to the dealer - any VAT they pay to the manufacturer is recoverable from HMCE. If the manufacturer has charged 17.5% VAT (in which case the van has been sat in stock since pre December) the dealer will have recovered all of that VAT from Customs.

My advice - get your cash back and head up to Worksop to Robinsons caravans - the after sales service there is second to none and that's what counts.

Robinsons sell Swift, Bailey and others so plenty to choose from.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Brian

I am pleased you have worked out who they are.

There is no rate of VAT on my invoice, only the amount outstanding minus the deposit we paid. Obviously the amount outstanding should be calculated at the new VAT rate.

They have put the deal we got on the invoice which was

May 4, 2005
Visit site
With respect Sam ,you won't receive an invoice until collection . What you have is just an order. The rate of vat charged is the rate applicable when the caravan is invoiced and that is 15%.

Brian

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Im afraid she still has the right to charge vat at 17.5% because the order was placed before November the 1st.

It has happened to us and there is nothing you can do,we spoke to the inland revenue and trading standards and it down to there discretion.

One thing you can be sure of is that if she charges vat at 17.5% she will pay that to the government so will not make extra money.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Mikey

I really do not know what they are going to gain or achieve out of this.

She seemed too quick to offer us our deposit back, so we are wondering whether they have a customer waiting for a caravan the same as ours, that they will charge more for. After speaking to some lovely caravan dealers this evening there is a very long wait for our caravan.

We have found a very reputable dealer who has exactly the same caravan, but it has been on display for a few months and has offered it to us

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Phil xxxxxxxxxx ;-) Thanks

They won't get the chance to put the rate on any invoice of mine.

I think it is great that us caravanners all stick together, makes me realise that we are so doing the right thing buying our caravan as we are going to meet lots of lovely people like you guys.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian - I thought that this forum was for all caravanners to use to get help and assistance from other caravanners and from Practical Caravan as one of the main caravan magazines - I see no reason why Sam cannot ask for advice about a situation that possibly quite a few of us have been in with some (thankfully a minority) dealers - I am sure that the dealer cannot now charge 17.5% VAT instead of 15% - a call to HM Revenue and Customs might be useful - I would agree that Sam would benefit from legal advice and both clubs can help - its a pity that we cannot name names so all of us can boycott dealers such as this one and go elsewhere in future - good luck Sam
Jon, whilst I have every sympathy with Sam, and could offer all kinds of advice, as could any number of other users, none of it is worth anything unless the poster is fully legally trained and knows consumer law, taxation law and other law inside out.

I certainly am not qualified to give 100% accurate advice in this field, neither is anyone else.

Every legal case is unique, no two outcomes are the same as there are so many variables to consider.

Also, airing a subject which may well become the subject of litigation is ill advised as it could have an adverse effect on the case.

As with all sales, the contract exists between buyer and seller, and not the wider caravanning community (as it is in this case).

G

Out of curiosity what make and model was it Sam?

Lowdams give good service.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Im not defending them.

We had the same issue with a van ordered at the show delivery in Jan,all they put on the order form is VAT included,on our order form it said VAT rate subject to change,still couldnt do anything

G

Dont know if there doing the same deal but last year there sprite sportstyle range had the xtra pack free, spare wheel and carrier, door fly screen, alko stabiliser, alloy wheels and upholstery upgrade.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sam

Personal recommendations mean a lot to me. Once you have parted with your money you then have to live with the caravan for a number of years . The aftersales service is so important. I see two good companies have been named.

Who do you have in mind now?

Personally I don't think buying a new caravan is necessarily all about getting the cheapest deal.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dustydog

I totally agree with you.

We have just spent the morning at Broad Lane Leisure in Daventry

(hope I am allowed to mention them) and have received absolutely fantastic customer service from them. They could not have been more helpful.

We went over there as they had a Sprite Major 6 display model, but when we saw the Adria Caravans that they had on display we were very impressed.

In the end we have got a fantastic deal on a brand new 2009 Adria 542 DT direct from the factory and we absolute love it. I know the Adrias are not to everyone's taste, but for practicality, layout and price it ticked all the boxes. The dealers at Broad Lane were helpful, professional and extremely friendly. I cannot recommend them enough. They made the whole horrible experience of yesterday a distant memory and I hope we have a long happy relationship with Broad Lane. I feel 110% happy with the service we have received, and I know that if I have a problem with our caravan I know they will get it sorted for us. The sad thing is, is that they were even apologetic for the service we received from the Dealers in Notts.

As you so rightly put it Dustydog, it is not always about the money it is about the aftersales and this afternoon I couldn't be happier. We collect the caravan on the 28th March, which is my Son't 7th Birthday and once again I have 3 very happy children. Sometimes I think these things happen for a reason.

I would just like to say how much I appreciated everyones support yesterday. It was a horrible experience, and one that I would not like any of you lovely people to go through, but alls well that ends well. Thanks once again xx

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good move Sam

Broad Lanes are well liked by all accounts. Thus hopefully your aftersales will be excellent.

It grieves me to say it but all the new caravans I have had all had snags. The snags were remedied swiftly by our dealer . I am sure BL will do the same for you if any snags arise. So where is your maiden voyage?

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts