Broad Lanes Daventry rescues me after v.a.t. mix up!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
First trip Blackmore (CC) at Easter our favourite site.

We have booked for a week to get us used to everything.

Really excited, just popping into town now to pick up a few bits and pieces that we still need.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
First trip Blackmore (CC) at Easter our favourite site.

We have booked for a week to get us used to everything.

Really excited, just popping into town now to pick up a few bits and pieces that we still need.
Hi Sam.

Enjoy the new van, I hope yourself and your family have many happy times in it as we have in ours these last three years of vanning. I fancy the Adria but my financial advisor and guv'nor (the wife) says no! I've got to get the house done first! :0(

By the way, I had a french stick sandwich today the Kingsmill was very stale! :0)

Phil.

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sam, sorry to read all about the trouble you were having with the bailey caravan, good to know that you got your deposit back and that you have got a new van coming so good luck for when you get your van and happy caravaning to you and the family.

Gary.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam.

Enjoy the new van, I hope yourself and your family have many happy times in it as we have in ours these last three years of vanning. I fancy the Adria but my financial advisor and guv'nor (the wife) says no! I've got to get the house done first! :0(

By the way, I had a french stick sandwich today the Kingsmill was very stale! :0)

Phil.
Bless you phil, thanks xx

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

I'm glad that you sorted everything out in the end, this must have been so disappointing for you and your children but sometimes these things can be a blessing in disguise.

Broad Lanes have been known to make the odd mistake in the same way that everyone else does but I must say that when Broad Lane have been made aware that they've done something wrong by members of this forum they have always tried to put things right.

Thanks for 'using your loaf' and not directly naming those who let you down so badly ;0)

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sam, sorry to read all about the trouble you were having with the bailey caravan, good to know that you got your deposit back and that you have got a new van coming so good luck for when you get your van and happy caravaning to you and the family.

Gary.

Sam was thinking about my caravan at time of message, a bailey ranger. Sorry.

Gary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There has been mention of after sales service from the dealer - surely a new caravan can be taken to a registered service centre for servicing/repair under the warrenty and does not have to be taken back to the supplying dealer. Our caravan has just had its second service by a registered local service centre - we have not had to go back to Swansea for any servicing/repair work.

Regarding the VAT - if the order states VAT at time of purchase then they do not have a leg to stand on. However what would have been the situation if the VAT rate had risen - would they have stuck to the original rate or upped the rate as appropriate.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sam, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the service you receive from Daventry Broad Lane. I've used them myself for numerous years and have always found them very reliable and helpful. Ordered our new van at the February NEC show where there was a fantastic choice of vans but ended up searching out Broad Lane on the Bailey stand and ordered from them.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Colin

"Regarding the VAT - if the order states VAT at time of purchase then they do not have a leg to stand on. "

I read that info as well.

On my order form it stated VAT subject to change with no vat rate,we spoke at lengths to HMRC and Trading Standards and said it was discrectionary to change due to the order being placed before the change.

Trust me i tried every avenue with no support still no luck.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sam

probably doesn't seem like it but I think you've had a lucky escape from this dealer.

Hopefully you'll find another van soon and get the dream going again.

Just looked on the said dealers website and they're advertising a similar van for

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Colin

Certainly Bailey have a list of Approved repairers who can also do warranty work, not sure about Adria. I didn't think it was a caravan industry wide thing yet. Agree it should be!

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I have just telephoned the Trading Standards Office and they have told me that because there is nothing in writing to stipulate the VAT we do not have a leg to stand on. It seems that I am not going to be able to persue this much further.

However!!!

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
sam did you get all your money back?.

jo
Hi Sam

You've made a good choice with the Adria.

We ordered an new Adria caravan at the NEC like you did but had a completely different experience.

The dealer we used was South Lincolnshire Caravans in Boston in Lincs.

We were trading in our Bailey Bordeaux which was two years old and wanted the motor mover transferring to the new van.

We travelled down on a Monday and the dealer arranged for us to stay overnight at a local caravan site (at his expense) for two nights. We took our van into him on the Tuesday morning and left it with them whilst we went shopping in Spalding.

At 3 p.m. we received a phone call from them telling us that our new van was ready.

Arriving back at the dealers, the new van was all set up in the workshop and we were given full hand-over instructions for it and the mover had been transferred.

We went back to the caravan site and set up our new van so that we could give it good try-out. I discovered that the TV aeriel was not working (Man U playing in the champions league) but managed to get round this problem, and we also discovered that there was no electrical socket in the kitchen area to plug a kettle in.

Wednesday morning we rang the dealer who said bring it straight back round to the workshop. They sorted out the aeriel and put in a new electrical socket and we were on our way home within an hour. Really excellent service.

Regarding the VAT situation: We paid a

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
The VAT rate chargeable is the rate prevailing on the tax point date. I ordered a Swift from Discover: when i asked if I would benefit from the new rate they said "of course, we'll just do a new nvoice dated for when you pick it up." There was a small discrepancy in the final amount. It turned out that the deal included a

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your comments Henry!!

I have now gone to a different dealer, and have bought an Adria 542DT which we collected last Saturday and we absolutely love it.

The dealer in question and they know how they are, but for those of you who are wondering (they go by a make of bread and are based in Mansfield, Notts) Should be disgusted with themselves. I have made sure that everyone I have spoken to (be it caravan dealers, caravan accessory shops and just about everyone I have come into contact with know who they are and the way they treated us)

We have put it all behind us now, and have moved on.

Without repeating myself, we received fantastic customer service from the guys at Broad Lane in Daventry from start to finish.

I believe not only are these things sent to try us, but they happen for a reason. We absolutely love our new van and cannot believe we didn't buy it in the first place.

Next week we are taken it out for her first maiden voyage and can't wait. All's well that ends well x

Jul 27, 2005
Visit site
We took our caravan there for a service - we thought we would have a proper dealer service for its first service with us. We got there but they were so clearly inept we didnt leave it - took it away and got the service done by our usual place who did a grand job.

claire:-}

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
We took our caravan there for a service - we thought we would have a proper dealer service for its first service with us. We got there but they were so clearly inept we didnt leave it - took it away and got the service done by our usual place who did a grand job.

claire:-}
It was very interesting to read your comments.

It looks like we had a very lucky escape.

Thank you for posting your experience.

I really do not know how they have continued trading for so long as I have heard nothing but bad things about them since our awful experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts