Bubble has burst?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We booked holidays in late June at three popular commercial sites. We did not expect vacancies for the week we were booking at each of them. Pleasantly surprised to find vacancies were not a problem and there were a choice of sites.

The CL that we normally use which is a CL that normally needs to be booked weeks in advance is not a problem to book 2 - 3 weeks in advance. Although a bank holiday there are only 5 units and the their other field has only one occupant.

It does seem that many sites have vacancies and I am wondering why? Is it due to high prices and money being tight or are people going off using caravans?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We booked holidays in late June at three popular commercial sites. We did not expect vacancies for the week we were booking at each of them. Pleasantly surprised to find vacancies were not a problem and there were a choice of sites.

The CL that we normally use which is a CL that normally needs to be booked weeks in advance is not a problem to book 2 - 3 weeks in advance. Although a bank holiday there are only 5 units and the their other field has only one occupant.

It does seem that many sites have vacancies and I am wondering why? Is it due to high prices and money being tight or are people going off using caravans?
Difficult to tell but prices and availability in self catering accommodation seems better than last year. Perhaps some are desperate for sun, warmth and alfresco dining and have booked for overseas either with the caravan or just as a package. The years we have had caravans we could normally fit in at least a couple of overseas holidays without the caravan.

But if availability is improving that’s a good thing. In SC there’s been a trend to separate bookings for three night weekends or four night week days. And you now have the caravan club effect that it’s becoming more difficult to book a week or two weeks as weekends can be already booked, hence preventing a 7 or 14 night stay.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Difficult to tell but prices and availability in self catering accommodation seems better than last year. Perhaps some are desperate for sun, warmth and alfresco dining and have booked for overseas either with the caravan or just as a package. The years we have had caravans we could normally fit in at least a couple of overseas holidays without the caravan.

But if availability is improving that’s a good thing. In SC there’s been a trend to separate bookings for three night weekends or four night week days. And you now have the caravan club effect that it’s becoming more difficult to book a week or two weeks as weekends can be already booked, hence preventing a 7 or 14 night stay.
The "caravan club" effect has been a problem for decades - it was clear in the '80s that there was a logistical conflict with bookings for weekenders and holidaymakers - despite the fact that many caravanners fall into both camps at different times.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The "caravan club" effect has been a problem for decades - it was clear in the '80s that there was a logistical conflict with bookings for weekenders and holidaymakers - despite the fact that many caravanners fall into both camps at different times.
I was referring to the “Caravan Club” effect as it affects bookings for self contained accommodation. It has been more noticeable since the pandemic where weeks have been split into 4/3 night chunks. When I. was working until 1999 I didn’t really have any problems booking a site be it a club site or CS/CL for weekends or our longer 7/14 night holidays. But we are quite flexible in our needs. When the CMHC bookings opened up to allow unlimited bookings up to a year ahead then it did become more difficult, especially for very popular sites like Chatsworth or York for example. But there again if they are that popular do I want to go there? 😱

I think we are just seeing a change perhaps bought on by financial constraints on people. So if Buckmans perception is correct it can be a good thing for those who don’t want to book a long way ahead.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Attempts to alleviate this issue in recent years have failed. We gave up on 7/14 nights at Chatsworth a long time ago. CLs have been our norm for 10+years. Our current one in Northumberland is full plus a few in the Farms own small site. The C&CC site near Craster was bursting yesterday. But it is a Bank Holiday. That said Alnwick now is quiet

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Attempts to alleviate this issue in recent years have failed. We gave up on 7/14 nights at Chatsworth a long time ago. CLs have been our norm for 10+years. Our current one in Northumberland is full plus a few in the Farms own small site. The C&CC site near Craster was bursting yesterday. But it is a Bank Holiday. That said Alnwick now is quiet
Hope all the Northumberland visitors go home next week-end, we're booked into a CL near Ashington the following week - looking forward to a drive over the ranges in the Cheviots.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We've just returned from a site in Northumberland and it had many empty pitches during the week we were there.

The area seemed pretty quiet alround.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hope all the Northumberland visitors go home next week-end, we're booked into a CL near Ashington the following week - looking forward to a drive over the ranges in the Cheviots.
Last September we drove from Alnwick up to Chew Green the ancient Roman encampment on Dere Street. We’ve been up there at least six times during our visits to Northumberland. It’s so remote and quiet. The road has deteriorated significantly over since we last visited in 2017 but improves markedly when you cross onto the MOD controlled area. Our return route is then across the Otterburn ranges. Makes for a splendid day out, especially when I can cook bacon sandwiches for lunch.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Pretty much everywhere we have stayed this year has been noticeably quieter than recent years, particularly CAMH sites.

Dealers are also bombarding me with emails about special offers with significant discounts on stock.

From my experience I would say things are slowing after the post COVID boom years.

Reactions: GaryB and Buckman
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We’re currently at the CAMHC site at Carsington Water, booked in January as it’s always popular. It’s certainly busy but there’s a handful of empty pitches.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Visited the Ashington Colliery last Wednesday. All closed for staff training for the May Day holiday 🤬The Cheviot area is awash with Rape and Gorse, very yellow.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are on Back of Beyond,pretty full, and they have probably the best toilet washrooms we have ever used in 30 years, chose the site as it has FSP but costs less than CMC, also booked commercial sites later in year for same reason, so CAMC effect could result in more availablity on their sites if you are prepared to pay the asking price

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are on Back of Beyond,pretty full, and they have probably the best toilet washrooms we have ever used in 30 years, chose the site as it has FSP but costs less than CMC, also booked commercial sites later in year for same reason, so CAMC effect could result in more availablity on their sites if you are prepared to pay the asking price
We are there in July so good to read this? (y)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I wonder if there is some polarisation in the market; with preference to either premium sites, like Back of Beyond or Old Oaks ( we were there for the 10 days before this bank holiday weekend and it was almost full the whole time) or folks heading into the much cheaper few facilities sites. Thus middle range sites missing out?
Many if not most of the vans at Old Oaks were big shiny twin axle, top of range types. Perhaps folks no longer think of caravanning as a budget holiday and so are prepared to pay more for caravans and sites?
Mel

Reactions: Hutch and JRT
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We were about to book into one of our favourite sites, Houghton Mill, ( National Trust site) all grass pitches, Unmetered electric. £34, then I noticed that was for 1 person and one unit, two people £42, sorry not worth that.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We were about to book into one of our favourite sites, Houghton Mill, ( National Trust site) all grass pitches, Unmetered electric. £34, then I noticed that was for 1 person and one unit, two people £42, sorry not worth that.
So one extra person uses £8s worth of extra facilities and/or electric.🤔

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is weird as a single person will use about the same amount of electric as a couple. The only real extra for a couple is water.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The site's probably still going to be full even at those prices - that's the effect of economics rule of supply & demand.

A CL, with unmetered electric on grass, which we've booked in Aberdeenshire has gone up to £16 because of the energy price increases

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
We use Manor Farm cl in Kings Ripton at £15/ night.
Unmetered EHU.....no FSP or toilet block but popular site
Very near Houghton.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts