Buccaneer Caravel Caravan similar layouts?

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

Whilst viewing various caravans we found that we like the layout of the Buccaneer Caravel, but since reading poor reviews, it has left me concerned. Do you know of vans with a similar layout please?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi alphabets welcome to the forum. Is it the retractable island bed layout that you like. If so the main UK manufacturers ( swift Bailey and coachmen ) have similar offerings. If you go on the caravan finder website, you can search by layout. Hope this helps
Mel

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello All,

I require the time honoured assistance with the pro's and con's of twin over single axle and help with correct vehicle choice and to clear up the confusion why some lighter vehicles can carry more please?

At present we quite like the following:-

1) BAILEY SENATOR LOUISIANA Series 5 MRO=1445kg & MTPLM=1695kg
2) Elddis Crusader Aurora 2005 MRO=1363kg & MTPLM=1560kg
3) Compass Rallye 550 2009 MRO=1357kg & MTPLM=1630kg
4) Buccaneer Caravel # 2009 Model MRO=1618kg & MTPLM=1900kg

Whilst looking at vehicle choices for the larger vehicles, it would seem that I would need a VW Touareg 3L Turbo Diesel. When really I would prefer something smaller and more economical. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello All,

I require the time honoured assistance with the pro's and con's of twin over single axle and help with correct vehicle choice and to clear up the confusion why some lighter vehicles can carry more please?

At present we quite like the following:-

1) BAILEY SENATOR LOUISIANA Series 5 MRO=1445kg & MTPLM=1695kg
2) Elddis Crusader Aurora 2005 MRO=1363kg & MTPLM=1560kg
3) Compass Rallye 550 2009 MRO=1357kg & MTPLM=1630kg
4) Buccaneer Caravel # 2009 Model MRO=1618kg & MTPLM=1900kg

Whilst looking at vehicle choices for the larger vehicles, it would seem that I would need a VW Touareg 3L Turbo Diesel. When really I would prefer something smaller and more economical. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you go for a caravan that size you do need a substantial car to pull it. Both clubs subscribe to the towing code which for newcomers to towing suggests the MTPLM of the caravan should be no more than 85% of the kerb weight of the car. Twin axle caravans are a bit more stable and with cars of that weight a bit more than 85% should be possible but it does limit the tow car to the heavy brigade.
You also need to check the manufacturers towing limit as it is illegal to exceed this although I doubt you will look at one that is unable to tow at these weights.
You also need the correct licence. If you passed your test before 1997 you should be safe but if after that you need to take an extra test to tow with a combined weight over 3,500 kg and with any of these caravans you will be over that.
Not sure if you are aware but you quote the Compass. This is made by Eldiss like the Buccaneer and if you are worried about Eldiss, then this is not for you. You might also want to look at the Lunar Delta TI which has a similar layout but will save a few pounds weight. I appreciate that the choice is very personnal snd what appeals to us might not to you though.
Hope this lot helps.

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Here a some to get things started.

Pros
More room inside.
More stable (with right tow car).
Easier to reverse.

Cons
Finding a site to store then van!
Bigger on road.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A t/a caravan needs2 extra tyres, the motor mover if fitted will cost more, it will be difficult to manoeuver by hand and will cost more to service.
On the plus side there is usually more interior space, the washroom / shower is often roomier and you will have a bigger payload.
Many of the newer fixed bed s/a caravans are now comparable, but the front benches are often shorter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Single axle vs Twin axle or SA vs TA.

The number of axles does not denote the size of the caravan. It is generally the case that TA tend to be bigger caravans, but there are some very big SA caravans that go against that premise.

The jury is out on whether TA's are more stable than SA's when towing. You will get reports from owners of both who will disagree about which is best, if indeed the number of axles actually makes any significant difference. Which ever you go for, good towing is about setting up your outfit properly, taking care about loading and getting the best nose weight. Remember there is no guarantee about good towing, and some combinations may just never work but these are few and far between.

One contributor claims they are easier to reverse. The difficulty of reversing or how quickly a caravan will start to go offline when reversing, is determined by the distance from the tow hitch to the effective turning axle of the trailer. The bigger the distance the slower the trailer will react when reversing. Again this has little to do with the number of axles, but from the point one above TA's tend to be longer but the longer any caravan is the slower (OR easier) it will be to reverse. It's worth taking some towing tuition to show you how to reverse a trailer.

As for choice of tow vehicle, that is really a personal matter, but there are plenty of vehicles out there that can tow the caravans you mention. You dont even have to necessarily consider 4x4's. Ideally you need to choose your particular caravan, then based on its MTPLM choose a tow vehicle whose maximum braked towing capacity exceeds the caravans MTPLM, and preferably has a Mass in Running Order that is at least 15% more than the MTPLM.

This will bring you in line with the industry guidance of a tow ratio of about 85% - which is only guidance and a few percent either way is not a deal breaker.

One thing you haven't told us is whether your driving license allows to you tow these outfits. If you do not have cat BE or B+e on your license categories, all the outfits you are considering are beyond your maximum combine allowance of 3500kg. - check your license.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I know it would be foolish to disagree with the Prof (life's too short :dry: ) from personal experience a properly set up TA is definitely more stable than an equally well set up SA.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
Whilst I know it would be foolish to disagree with the Prof (life's too short :dry: ) from personal experience a properly set up TA is definitely more stable than an equally well set up SA.
frankly i never found my single axles bursner to be unstable in any conditions. i put this down to its longer A frame. which make me wonder ,just how does one get more stable than stable?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:

Hello Chris,
I have extensively driven lots of different TA's and SA's. and I cannot come to any clear conclusion about which is more stable, Every caravan outfit is different and what one person may describe as instability may be different to another interpretation. I do agree that most TA's tend to roll less,and I suspect that is down to the second set of suspension stiffening the roll characteristics but that is not necessarily a precursor or indicator of susceptibility to instability. Instability is more of a yawing motion.

But we can all only directly relate to our own experiences.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again alphapets,

Please don't antagonise contributors by multiple postings in different places. We are trying to offer help, but its really difficult to keep track of whats been suggested in different places.

Your latest post has a different first sentence, and asks why can some smaller vehicles carry more? The answer is. Manufacturers are not tied to certain payload capacities (except by the vehicle excise duty bands) so its all about how they choose to design and specify them.

The fact is you are not tied to a VW toureg there are plenty of vehicles capable of towing your list of caravans. Only you can choose which tow vehicle will best meet your needs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts