Budget Remote Caravan Level Indicator and Reversing Camera - and Hi there.

May 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,
I've just joined the forum after becoming a proud caravan owner.
I thought I'd introduce myself with a possible budget solution to two quite pricey gadgets that I had been interested in - but spent way more on a caravan than I had intended.

I'll preface this by saying that I haven't tested this in a real-life situation, but it does work from my armchair lol.

First of all you need two phones.
On each phone you will need to install a screen sharing or remote assistance app such as Team Viewer.
The phones must be set up so that one of them can view the screen of the other.

The phone that is set up to view the remote phone stays in the car, the other goes in or on the caravan.

So for a reverse cam, the remote phone shares it's screen to the phone in the car and you attach it to the rear window (or the back of the caravan if no window). Stick it with tape, pack the top/bottom with something to get the correct angle and start recording video - you'll see it on the phone in the car. Do this just before reversing, I don't recommend this as a permanent fixture lol.

For caravan leveling, there are devices that you can get that are fitted to your 'van and they send the tilt angle to an app on your phone. I'm talking about the axle level here, which can easily be affected by undulations in the ground - and may not require ramps/chocks if you position it wisely.

Just download a 'Spirit Level' app of your choice on the remote phone (that will be in the caravan) - place it on the floor of your 'van as you would a sprit level - and with the screen sharing set up, you can view it on the phone in the car. Move backwards or forwards until you find a suitable position.

As I said at the beginning, I haven't tested this in action, so I don't know how accurate it would be. Just a fun idea that you might want to play around with.

See you around :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tips. Not sure about the idea of using two phones but we have a mover fitted so can use that for tricky pitching and putting the caravan back into storage.
I do have an app on my tablet for levelling and this works well, although is perhaps over sensitive. I do put it on the shelf immediately behind the front window though, so I can see what it says while using the jockey wheel to level.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used a small spirit level given out with a PC magazine years ago. Kept it on a hook by the door. Simple task to level the van either way and unaffected by phone charge state and unaffected if it’s pitching down.

But I do find the Makita ( free) mobile tools app quite useful. Six tools.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
One thing I have found with levelling - you have to find a good level datum on the van to work on. I discovered that one of the 'horizontal' surfaces in our van is not perfectly level when I used it to set the spirit level on, levelled the van, put the steadies down, went inside and it all felt a bit off. I then used a different surface and this showed it was unlevel fore-and-aft, so I releveled using this surface and all was good.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have glued two mini levels at right angles just inside the door. They are set in such a way that when they show level, the shower has a slight fall to the drain.

Just trying it on the floor or other surface was pot luck. It didn’t matter for everyday use, but having to kick the water out of the shower is a pain.

John

Reactions: Hutch and figbat

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts