Bungalow

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An Irishman was working on a building site, his aim to build a fabulous house.

Sadly, he realised he wouldn't have enough bricks to complete the build. He asked his foreman;

'Jeees, what do I do now?'

His boss replied:

'Paddy, just bung a low roof on it'.

HENCE the word 'bungalow'

Sorry, I thought it was funny.

Lisa.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was given to understand that the word "bungalow" is derived from the Victorian British Empire days when new housing was being constructed in India and it was the locals who coined the word initially.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was given to understand that the word "bungalow" is derived from the Victorian British Empire days when new housing was being constructed in India and it was the locals who coined the word initially.
Colin, I bow to your knowledge but I'm sticking with the above explanation!

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LMH I hope my answer was not taken in the wrong sense as my intention was to purely shed some light on the topic. If you misunderstood my reason for repying I do apologise as it was not meant in any form of off handed way.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LMH I hope my answer was not taken in the wrong sense as my intention was to purely shed some light on the topic. If you misunderstood my reason for repying I do apologise as it was not meant in any form of off handed way.
Colin

Chill!!! No offence taken at all, someone told me the joke yesterday when we were looking at some building regulations, I thought it was a corker! (Schoolgirl humour and all that).

Lisa xxxx

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My old Dad told me that on leaving school he worked for a Hampshire builder. You worked and asked no Questions in those days. The boss came along one day "house" halfway up and said I've had enough of this job just bung a low roof on and we can use the spare bricks to build another over there pointing to the adjoining plot. I believed him for year :)

Bengali word is Bangla I beleive, "favoured house or favoured style of house" built for the British in India when we had an empire! ;-)

Any way , the Irish version is a bit racist ;-)

But the show Bungalow home salesman asking buyers for their choice of colour for the various rooms wrote it down and then called out the window "GREEN SIDE UP"

The lady got a bit concerned and her husband stopped the guy as he went to call out the last rooms window.

"Sorry sir, I should explain the Irish labourers are turfing the garden" :)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My old Dad told me that on leaving school he worked for a Hampshire builder. You worked and asked no Questions in those days. The boss came along one day "house" halfway up and said I've had enough of this job just bung a low roof on and we can use the spare bricks to build another over there pointing to the adjoining plot. I believed him for year :)

Bengali word is Bangla I beleive, "favoured house or favoured style of house" built for the British in India when we had an empire! ;-)

Any way , the Irish version is a bit racist ;-)

But the show Bungalow home salesman asking buyers for their choice of colour for the various rooms wrote it down and then called out the window "GREEN SIDE UP"

The lady got a bit concerned and her husband stopped the guy as he went to call out the last rooms window.

"Sorry sir, I should explain the Irish labourers are turfing the garden" :)
Excellent, liked the Irish bit..............

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS