Bunk Beds and almost teens!!

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
We currently own a lovely 2002 Swift Challenger 490 Lifestyle (dinette and double bed each end) and have recently been hinking of upgrading her for possibley a new caravan, our current van is in excellent order however we fancy one with a seperate shower cubicle instead of the all in one washroom we currently have.

We thought another 5 berth would be fine, I know on later models of the 490 Swift gave them a seperate shower cubicle, however it seems this type of layout is almost obslete now with the the likes of Swift and other main manufacturers not doing them anymore without getting a twin axle 6 berth, yes this would be gret for extra space, but im just not sure I want twin axle or can afford the price tag.

Anyway geting back to the point we have been considering the usual 4 berth option with side bunks, and rear bathroom, however we are unsure how long this layout will be suitable as my two daughters are now aged 12 and 13, what age or general size of person do these bunks accomodate. Also which is best fixed bunks or bunks to make up??
I dont want to go ahead buying a bunk option only to find within a year or two, the kids are too big for them.

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
Andrew.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think teens can suddenly outgrow bunks and then being teens make their feelings very clear.
smiley-yell.gif
Have you considered a van with fixed single beds. (eg Bailey Cadiz) You and OH sleep in the front lounge made into a double, they get the single beds. The other option is sleeping annexe on the awning. We have done this for our lad when he hit 6ft. OK unless you caravan all year. in which case, a bit chilly. We leave him at home with our adult daughter now. Now there's an option that really works!!
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

Back in the 90s I had an Elddis Sunseeker that had a double lounge, back and front , both rows of sets in each converted into sizeable doubles,.
During the day the kids could partition themselves off . It was their sanctum which they loved.

The downside was a side bathroom. Not really a problem especially with all the site facilities today.

Would you be happy with them sleeping in the awning? There are some brilliant inner tents available.

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Mel and Dustydog for your response.

I think we need to take a good think on this, not sure if we'd be happy to the girls sleep in the awning.

Not sure if we should aim ourselves at a used 5 berth like the updated Challenger 490 to ours, try and get one of the last ones before they stopped making them, of course if any are around that is.

Another thought is to just hold on to our current 490, as she is in superb condition and doesnt owe us any money!! we've had her 6 years now.

again the double lounge is fantastic, for adults in one end and kids in the other.
Thanks again and any other advice will be most appreciated.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Think hard before getting rid of your double dinette layout - if you've learnt to cope with the narrow section by the kitchen then you'll find it hard to better with children on-board - it's a layout rarely found on new caravans.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Like others say, I'd think long and hard about bunks. If your girls haven't been used to sleeping in them, then caravan bunk beds can seem very claustrophobic - and the bigger and older they are when they start sleeping in bunks, the harder it will be. My sons were OK with bunk beds until the eldest was about thirteen and then they just found the space above their heads not sufficient. Now, when kids probably want to sit in bed texting, or playing on their phones, it will seem even more restrictive.

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone, your comments are most appreciated.
Think we will think long and hard about this before we change. I think our thoughts are to keep our current van a little longer and maybe look out for a newer used 5 berth. Rather than change to a bunk option, our girls do seem to be having a growing spirt at the mo, think as mentioned bunks may feel cramped and restricted.

Thanks again,
Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts