Buying a 6 berth van - advise?

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,we have always camped and love the great outdoors,but this last 2 week stetch in rainy Cornwall - did it, no more canvas for us, we are looking at a 6 berth (fixed back bunks)van, keep looking at Baileys, nore sure though,any advise would be appreciated, going to NEC in Oct, again not sure if they have best deals.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nicole,

This is just my opinion,I think you'll find that Bailey caravans take a lot of beating for build,quality,price and of course a 5year guaranttee,we have oneok its 4yrs old but its a grat caravan can thoroughly re-commend them.Good Luck.Caravanning is a great hobby.Jim

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Nicole, we are on our 2nd Bailey van we now have a Pageant (mid range) with triple bunks in a rear bedroom (great to close away the little one(s) if you want some piece and quiet in the evenings.

Bot times we bought we found that Baileys were hard to beat on price once you take in to account the level of kit. Enjoy the NEC!!!

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I've just traded up to a new Bailey Pageant Bretagne & I think the triple bunk layout is really good as you also get a dinette big enough for a family of 4 & space to get changed in private if you pull the door closed. Its great to close the door on the kids in the back at bed time so you still get the rest of the van to enjoy. The other layout of 6 berth is either two bunks across the back & a side dinette that makes up 2 further bunks but you have no privacy with this layout & risk waking up the kids. There are also bigger twin axle 6 berths with 4 beds at the back but these have to be made up every night.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Glenn, I agree with nearly everything you say (just not sure about the sitting 4 round the rear dinette if you are including 2 adults), but that is hardly surprising as we have the same van!!!!!

For me the only compromise is the small side washroom, but without going twin axle it is not really avoidable.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Glenn, I agree with nearly everything you say (just not sure about the sitting 4 round the rear dinette if you are including 2 adults), but that is hardly surprising as we have the same van!!!!!

For me the only compromise is the small side washroom, but without going twin axle it is not really avoidable.
We managed fine around the rear dinette but our family is 2 adults & 2 kids. Agree the bathroom is small but that is the compromise I guess.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
If you don't want to compromise on the washroom take a look at the Lunar Quasar 546. Same layout (triple bunk with rear dinette) but with separate shower cubicle in the bathroom. The bottom bunk also converts into a locker with an outside access door if you don't need it as a bunk.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
The Lunar (IMO) has too small a front lounge to use the bed as a double without removing the chest, which as it is the TV point is a pain.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the front seating is shorter but myself and my wife did sleep there without removing the chest and it was "adequate". Certainly not roomy. However, the centre chest just lifts out so next time we're away we will take it off and try it. We don't use all 3 bunks so will put it on there in the night (I took it off the other day and it was quite light). Alternatively, it will go on the floor between the rear dinette seats (but not yet as our 6 month old is in a travel cot there at the moment).

As for not fitting 4 adults, wow you must have 4 very large adults. We easily sit 4 in the front and I'm 6' 2" so not small. Anyway, there's room for another 3 seated at the rear.

Unless you're very lucky all vans are a compromise. It just depends what you want to compromise on. Now that we have a separate shower that isn't something I will ever compromise on but we're not all the same are we.

However, if you're looking at new vans the 2010 Lunar Quasar 546 does now have a full length front lounge. It looks like they've chopped out one of the cupboards in the kitchen area and I guess made the wardrobe smaller and the bathroom a bit smaller to still come up with the same overall length.

Best thing to do is come up with a short list and go along and try them all to see if they'd suit your needs.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Christopher, In our opinion Lunar have ruined the Zenith by removing the separate oven / grill and replacing it with a combi.

One downside of the Zenith 6 type layout is that there is no screened off area for you to get changed. It does make the van light and airy though and the less internal walls will keep the van light.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Nicole, you didn't say how old your offspring are. If they are teenagers or even big pre-teens, take a large one to the NEC with you, or actually try lying in the bunk yourself. Some bunks are very narrow or closer to the ceiling or floor than teens will tolerate (and teenagers are not noted for tolerance!). The Adria does have larger bunks, and I think Geist may do a bigger bunk. Happy shopping.

mel

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Looked at Bailey's and all the others, ended up with a coachman 560/6 as the build quality is far superior to any other mass produced product. You get what you pay for. Bailey caravans will always good reviews because bailey pay a lot each year (more than any other manufacturer) for corporate hospitality as told to me by an honest dealer who sold bailey. However when have you ever seen a review on a Coachman where does it fall short? Normally only on price and weight. Why is it dearer and heavier? Simple it's a better product that can take the wear and tear of family life year after year.

May 18, 2007
Visit site
We are on our second Coachman.Currently have the Festival(Amara) 560/6 with the bunks at the back. A great layout for young kids with a side dinette for colouring etc.

There is plenty of room too,we once had 4 adults and 3 kids in for breakfast.

The washroom is adequate for brushing teeth,washing and night-time toilet duties !! The quality,in my opinion,is so much better than the mass-produced makes.The only issue's I have had with my 2 vans is the manufacturer of components - doorlocks,tyres and gas regulating valves - all quickly sorted by Coachman I must add.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We are on our second Coachman.Currently have the Festival(Amara) 560/6 with the bunks at the back. A great layout for young kids with a side dinette for colouring etc.

The washroom is adequate for brushing teeth,washing and night-time toilet duties !! The quality,in my opinion,is so much better than the mass-produced makes.The only issue's I have had with my 2 vans is the manufacturer of components - doorlocks,tyres and gas regulating valves - all quickly sorted by Coachman I must add.
Are you in the owners club, have a look at our website.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site

Thanks everybody for your comments, very much appreciated.

After countless hours and hours of searching reading etc, driving myself mad!! We seem to be gearing more towards Elddis vans now, initially decided on fixed bunks, but now decided on end bedroom (with door)5 or 6 berth.

Also definate decision on twin exle.

We have a budget of 8k as will be our first van. Kids are aged 6 and 11 and tall.

Also we have a local dealer, that has said if we in no hurry -wait for a good deal on this size of van, we have a Shogun and towing is no problem in terms of weight, do you all think buy private or through dealer??

Thanks Nicole

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts