Buying a caravan abroad

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Practical Caravan has got my wife in a right old flap.

Horror; not for me, but more for the General Public of the UK. Practical Caravan post an article on the web, it features the problems of buying abroad. It's so anti-European that I thought that I was reading the UKIP manifesto - (Keeping this short) It mentioned Bad Wiring, Un-safe Gas Installation. Problems with Low Voltage. Non-Flame retardant fabrics etc. The wife is now not so sure about our beloved caravan!!

We'll the fact that German Vans are made in factory with more ISO certifications than they no what to do with, is lost on the author. Their construction methods are 20 years ahead of a UK factory; the fact that our vans (Dethleffs) along with Bustner and Knaus have European type approval is lost in the xenophobia. Our two pin plugs (rated up to 10 amps) easily take a kettle, TV etc. As for problems with voltage, the majority of Europe is on 230 V ac (give or take the 10 % rule) that's why thousand of British go to France, Spain etc with no problems. The Gas Installation is safe in our van. I can't comment on others but we don't hear of Hundreds of Vans blowing up in Europe do we?

More over; our Van has be inspected at the German (state run) Mot test centre every year of its life by DEKRA - a world respected organisation this test includes gas. German TUV standards are far more respected in automotive circles than the NCC.

Are German vans un-safe the answer has to be a resounding No . I sleep soundly knowing my van is a safe as a UK model, in fact I'm not awaken from my slumber at all. This was really was brought home to me at the Caravan show - if you want to see a real Hazard look at where some UK manufacturers place their 240 V sockets right next to the sink!! I for one saved thousand's and would recommended buying abroad to anyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Dont let them put put off. We are on our second Burstner caravan,both of which, we have bought in france. Both vans have been trouble free and were better value for money than the uk equivalents

My annual service (we still go to france) is less than half the uk price and the difference pays the ferry fare for a five day holiday. The van, loaded, is dropped off in the morning at the dealers, and we collect it after lunch. We have had no problems with some very minor warranty work and the owner/dealers are more like friends than men in suites.

Burstner also have UK dealers.

Keep it up and enjoy being different!!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i have an lmc dominant which is built to a better standard than any uk van i have had it 3 years .it has never let me down once i use calor gas uk eletrical appliances.no problem, i think there is a scaremongering attitude among uk dealers because of the better workmanship on german vans and they know that their sales are affected ,i will always buy german

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts