buying a caravan - twin axle or single

G

There has been lots of discussion on this very topic and I mwould suggest a search to allow you to read the comments.

There are hosts of arguments both for and against either type. Really, at the end of the day it is up to you, and what you are comfortable with. However, a general guide is if it is a 1st van, stick with a single axle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Rachel

IMO there is no right or wrong. The most important factor is to make sure you have a vehicle capable of towing whatever you choose. As Scotch Lad says there are dozens of threads on this subject. Good hunting .

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rachael,

As previous contributes have said it is really down to personal choices, but here are a few things to consider.

If you are looking at both Sa and a TA of about the same length, you may well find that the TA weighs quite lot more because of the weight of the send axle. This may eat into the available payload, which you may need for all the bits and pieces that six people want to bring.

The second set of wheels will also bump up service and tyre replacement costs.

If you go for a TA, you need to be very careful when setting the nose load.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John

I have had both, now a TA , and honestly find no more difficulty getting the nose weight correct.

Have I missed your point here? If so my apologies now.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dusty,

My comment may need some more detailed explanation;

With most single axle vans if you raise the jockey wheel, the nose will tip forward and touch the ground. In other words there is positive nose load, but as has been explained in other older threads, the actual nose load changes depending on the height of the hitch. In fact in some instances, if you lift a hitch fully up so the tail of the caravan sits on the ground, some caravans will actually stay in that attitude - the nose load has reduced and may have actually turned negative so it is lifting.

This fundamentally why setting the correct nose load must be done with the hitch at the same height from the ground as when it is attached to the tow vehicle in a fully loaded and ready to tow condition. With a TA the change in actual nose load is comparatively slow compared to hitch height.

This is all due to the fact that to achieve a positive nose load you have to arrange the item in a caravan so its centre of gravity is a little forward of the main axle.

The situation is the reverse with a Twin axle. The CofG will normally sit between the two axles. This can be shown by raising the jockey wheel, and finding that the hitch does not fall to the floor but hovers at some height. You have to actually push it down to make it go to the floor, but remove the pressure and it will naturally rise, equally you will find that you have to apply a lot of force (compared to an SA) to lift the hitch from its resting height. The transfer from negative to positive and back again occurs over a very small height change.

For this reason the nose load must be adjusted with the hitch at the same height as when the fully loaded caravan is hitched to the car. Small height differences may have a big effect on the actual nose load.

That is why it is so critical with a TA to set the nose load correctly.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
We've had a twin axle for about 3 years now and love it. Would be very hesitant to go back to a single. The only downside I have found is that turning it by hand is very difficult - my reversing skills have improved greatly as it is much easier to move by car than by hand. Everything else is a plus in my opinion however. Tows so much better than our old single axle van. Also, about two years ago we had a blowout on a motorway going at about 50. Twin axle may have experienced problems with a blow out, but thankfully our twin axle never even twitched. We were able to come very safely to a stop thanks to still having a good wheel. Changing the blownout wheel on the side of motorway was fun however!

Simon

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that John.

I always measure the nose weight at the height of the engaged hitch. I see your point . It's interesting that when jacking up the jack points are just to the rear of the rear wheels. The rear wheels lift easily but the front take longer and require more effort for obvious reasons.

I've never experimented with the jockey wheel as you describe and will give it a go tomorrow.

Otherwise I always load the TA on the same principle as the SA as described on previous threads.

There is less tendancy to pitching whilst on the move with a TA which I think helps the overall feeling of stability. That said I can honestly say my last SA a Bailey Pageant S5 Vendee never caused me any concern.

Maybe TAs are destined for the scrap heap with the recent introduction by Bailey and Swift of TA sized models running on SAs?

Anyway I'm happy and appreciate teh excellent explanation you have given here.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that John.

I always measure the nose weight at the height of the engaged hitch. I see your point . It's interesting that when jacking up the jack points are just to the rear of the rear wheels. The rear wheels lift easily but the front take longer and require more effort for obvious reasons.

I've never experimented with the jockey wheel as you describe and will give it a go tomorrow.

Otherwise I always load the TA on the same principle as the SA as described on previous threads.

There is less tendancy to pitching whilst on the move with a TA which I think helps the overall feeling of stability. That said I can honestly say my last SA a Bailey Pageant S5 Vendee never caused me any concern.

Maybe TAs are destined for the scrap heap with the recent introduction by Bailey and Swift of TA sized models running on SAs?

Anyway I'm happy and appreciate the excellent explanation you have given here.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that John.

Anyway I'm happy and appreciate the excellent explanation you have given here.

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
thats rubbish the larger single axle vans eg the bailey senator california are still a good bit shorter about a meter than the twin axles like the wyoming. The way to look at it is twin axles have far less compromises eg you have more space larger washrooms bigger beds bigger kitchens and they just generally give you that bit more luxury than a single axle can. We would never go back to a single axle now after owning a twin, they all feel so small and crammped.

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
forgot to add the twin axles are far more impossing, our outfit draws jealous gasps from everyone who sees on site and on the road. Twin axles just radiate pure class

G

Oh dear. If 'twin axles are far more imposing and draw jealous gasps' then I am afraid I am in the boonies with my little single axle cheapie van. I will need to wear a bag over my head to hide in shame.

I do assume that 'caravanner' was taking the p..s.

What i do know is many of us sit on sites especially in France and watch with amusement the owner of a monster trying to get it on to the pitch, and then trying to find room for the car and awning. Oops sorry, not car but has to be giant SUV, doesn't it?

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Caravanner,

As the owner of of a 2007 mainstreem twin axle, i can assure you that among caravanners in the know, a single axle Carlight, Vanmaster, Royale to name but three would attract more attention than my gleaming polished twin axle!

Last time out i saw a wonderfull fully restored 1978 Cotswold Windrush 13 foot.I had one many years ago. It quite rightly drew a lot of attention.

Do not delude yourself, it is what is above the axles, two wheels or four that counts.

Hamer

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
yes a large 4x4 2007 range rover tdv8 vogue se with full supercharged kit to be exact. As for my caravan I would hardly class a 2009 Buccaneer Caravel as mainstream I would rather have it than a carlight or vanmaster, i was not being snobbish I was just stating the reaction which we get to our car and caravan, then again probably the best outfit I have ever seen on any site, I feel I have reason to be proud as many years ago I camped in a tent a few times.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
yes a large 4x4 2007 range rover tdv8 vogue se with full supercharged kit to be exact. As for my caravan I would hardly class a 2009 Buccaneer Caravel as mainstream I would rather have it than a carlight or vanmaster, i was not being snobbish I was just stating the reaction which we get to our car and caravan, then again probably the best outfit I have ever seen on any site, I feel I have reason to be proud as many years ago I camped in a tent a few times.
caravanner,

By mainstream i mean mass produced as most top of the range caravans are.Your Buccaneer is built in just the ame way as an Eldiss.My Swift Conqueror is built the same way as a Swift Charisma.

As such they are all classed in caravan terminoligy as mainstream.It is what the insides are like which makes them different.

You obviously prefer your Buccaneer to a true coachbuilt caravan, that is your choice.I personally,if i won the lottery, would prefer a twin axle Vanmaster, coachbuilt to my specification as my coachbuilt Bessacar was over 10 years ago. To sit with the manufacturer's designers and see, where possible,your own ideas incorperated in your caravan is really something.

We are all different and have different preferences.

Sadly i wonder in the present economic climate how long the remaining coachbuilts can survive--hopefully until i win the lottery.

Enjoy your Buccaneer.

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts