Buying a motorhome in Spain

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi! We have just been 'bitten by the motorhome bug' after hiring one in Spain (where we live) for 2 weeks. We loved it and we have decided we want to buy one. For obvious reasons, it would be less complicated to buy in Spain, but the motorhome market seems very limited and doesn't seem to have too many options for our requirements. McLouis, Benimar, Mobilvetta & Moncayo seem to be popular here, but we're not sure of the quality of these manufacturers. Also, it seems that Moncayo have gone bust, so we're uncertain about buying one. Can anyone advise us on the best motor-home for our needs? We are a mature couple looking for maximum space. We are looking to travel around Spain & Portugal in Winter, and France & UK in summer. We prefer the semi-integrated, fixed bed at the rear vans. We are looking to spend around £30.000 and are hoping to get a decent motorhome for that price without getting 'ripped off' (if you know what I mean!) We considered buying one in UK as there seems to be far more available for our money, but we've been put off by people telling us that it would be too difficult to import one, as the access door is on the wrong side on a RHD? Any advice on what to consider before we buy would be much appreciated! :)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Michelle In your situation I would not consider importing a RHD UK Motorhome. Given your intended use a LHD would appear more practical & easy to import from a n other mainland European country. This will give you a much larger scope of manufacturers & models. (Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs (german) Pilote, Chausson, Rapido (french) CI (italy) to name a few. Prices are also usually more competitive due to the size of market & built quantity. Have a look at a few Belgium, French & German dealer websites, (many will arrange export sales)

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. We were only thinking of importing from the UK because the motorhomes available in the UK market seem to tick all of the boxes. Many of the European models don't have ovens, although I suppose the compromise would be to put a free standing mini oven in for use when hooked up. Thanks also for the recommendations re makes. We looked at the Hymers here in Spain, but what's available in our price bracket all seem to be over 10yrs old with over 100.000km on the clock! We have to time to do our homework though, so fingers crossed we'll find one to suit us before the end of the summer.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Michelle,

We are in the same situation as yourselves, looking for a well equiped motorhome in Spain. We recently found a very nice Moncayo, owned from new by a Brit couple, and with full facilities, but sadly that has fallen through. I was just wondering if you made any progress, and if you have bought anything. I also worry that buying a Moncayo may be the wrong thing as they are no longer in operation. I am now considering a LHD from UK, as we make frequent trips back, and the MOT and tax would not be a problem, and the vans are better specified, especially the oven, and I really want an auto! I would love to hear your latest thoughts.
Best regards, Ainsley

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Why restrict yourself to UK registered, LHD Camping-Cars with an oven?
IT would be logical to think that the majority of C-C in LHD form in the UK are 'foreign', if they have an oven then either their european cousins will have one as well or that its posible to retrofit one.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It seems that there is more chance of getting a LHD vehicle with the eqipment we want if it has been bought in the UK, but LHD. Here in Spain there is a dearth of quality high spec vans, and auto transmission is as rare as rain in Andalucia! No "bargains" are going, and you have to travel a long way to see an "immaculate" van, that is in fact rough. Could be the only answer is to buy new, but I really don't want to spend a lot of the hard earned on my first new toy.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had better luck shopping in Germany ( Similar distance from Spain!), for instance Mercedes auto-Hymer 25000€ leaves you with 5000€ to have an oven fitted
smiley-smile.gif

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Being new to all this, it is a huge maze! Is it really necessary to have an oven, and I assume that they can always be retro fitted later. Also, I may have to find a manual to start, as auto's are so rare. Year 2006 seems to be the changeover date when chasis improved, and a decent auto became available. Many thanks for the German link, very helpful.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Whether the oven is "necessary" is your call - there seems to be an assumption "out there" that British buyers want ovens and grills, and continentals are happy with a hob. But if you don't think you'd make use of one then by all means get a van without. We use ours quite a lot, but that's just our choice.
Whether it's easy (or even possible) to retrofit one depends on the layout and positions of connections etc. So it's probably better to decide up front whether or not an oven matters to you, and if it does only buy a van which already has one.

BtW, I've upgraded you to "unmoderated," which means you shouldn't have to copy those funny little letters next time you post. If anyone else wants the same, please ask!

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for that Tony, and all taken on board. It is going to be a slow search, and as my old Mum used to say--there's always another one out there, so the moral being, don't rush in!!
The next question to ask is-- The pro's and cons of the fixed double bed. French style or transverse, do you have any views?

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi Michelle,

Did you find your motorhome? If not we are living in Andalucia and want to sell ours. Sounds pretty like what you are looking for. LHD, fixed bed at rear over large garage, bathroom, wardrobe, 3 hob gas, extra bed over the cab, autogas fitted, airconditioning, satelite, winterised, reversing camera. It's a Hymer (very reliable) B641, 2005 and we're looking for around £27,000. Let me know if you're interested.

TRENDING THREADS