buying an awning

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Good morning everyone.
I have the age old question regarding awnings......what size.
I have recently purchased a 2002 Tabbert Barroness, the most fantastic condition.
my wife and I have decided to get an awning for it. Unfortunately we got no owners manual with the van, just the original registration document. So we have no idea what size we need.
We have measured the awning rail, which gives us the length at 1120. We took that measurement and purchased a brand new Eurovent Ocean awning, went to do a trial fit and it goes nowhere near it.
If you set the awning correctly at one end, the other is about 30cms short, doesnt even touch the ground.
We have recently contacted Obelink in Holland, they have asked us for the height of the caravan. So last night we went to the storage yard and it measured 250cms, out of curiosity I measured some British built vans, they all measured around 240cms, so is this the problem.
Any help or advice would be greatly recieved, as we are trying to go away in the next couple of weeks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lee
Click Here for a diagram which shows how to correctly measure a caravan for an awning using a length of string. Note the measurement in centimeters and choose the next size up

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lee. Puzzling. If you measured from the ground one side through the awning rail and all the way to the ground on the other side, then the height of the van would be taken into account, I would have thought. Let us know what size does fit!
Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just a thought, did you measure the awning that arrived. It is not unknown for them to get the wrong label.
Mel

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
To measure the awning, just measure the part that goes through the awning channel on the caravan.

Which model of Barronesse do you have? I had a very quick look on one of the awning manufacturer's websites (Ventura, but only chose that one because it was the first to come up on google) . Most manufacturers websites have a facility to check make , model and year of van and give awning size. Anyway Ventura list 5 Barronesse models for 2002 with 5 different sizes ranging up to 1175. Worth doing a check on that as well just for comparison.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
lee130 said:
thats exactly what I have done Parksy. gave me 1120, but the awning does not fit
This might seem like a silly reply but was the caravan on level ground when you measured the awning rail from ground level each end and was the caravan also pitched perfectly level fore and aft and side to side?

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
It was totally level Parksy, to the point my wife put a spirit level on it

the model is a 685 Robtel, 2002.....most manufactorers of awnings give this model an 1130+ size, but mine measures 1120

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Just had another quick look on another website ( it's Saturday, I'm having a relaxing morning!)
Eurovent seem to be one of these companies that use letters to code their awning sizes rather than the actual number in centimetres. An awning to fit your 1120 size should, according to the site I looked on have the code "M ", probably on a label stitched to the awning at one end. That covers the channel sizes of 1090 to 1130, and is apparently the biggest that awning model goes to. So if it is an "L" for example it will be too small if your measuring is of the channel is correct.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
if i remember correctly when we trial fitted, the awning rope fitted in to the rail perfectly end to end, but thats it, nothing extra

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
lee130 said:
the model is a 685 Robtel, 2002.....most manufactorers of awnings give this model an 1130+ size, but mine measures 1120

yes, had another look on the Ventura size guide and they give you r van a channel size of 1132 but a Ventura awning size of 1150.
I can't seem to find the equivalent search facility for Eorovent or Trigano awnings though.

Check the actual size of the awning you have, see exactly what it is you have.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
We seem to have posts crossing here Lee130.
I would still physically measure the awning beading as it could be an incorrect label, but starting to think you might have bought a size too small. Sorry

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Robtel said:
I would still physically measure the awning beading

The length of the beading is likely be less than than the awning size as it possibly doesn't go to the end of the wall depth. The OP will need to measure from the seam at the bottom of the wall to the same the other side. None of our previous awnings had beading all the way down.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Robtel said:
I would still physically measure the awning beading

The length of the beading is likely be less than than the awning size as it possibly doesn't go to the end of the wall depth. The OP will need to measure from the seam at the bottom of the wall to the same the other side. None of our previous awnings had beading all the way down.
I thought mine did but couldn't say for certain, never gave it any great thought previously to be honest. Will check next time out just out of interest but you are correct in saying measurement should be taken from where the awning going to be nearest to the ground at both ends.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Wonder how Lee130 got on with his awning?

As a follow up to the length of the awning beading, I did check mine last week when using the awning and the beading does run the full length, equivalent of ground to ground. Guess it depends on make of the awning as to whether it does or doesn't run the full length.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts