buying privately

Sep 14, 2021
Visit site
New member, so hope this is in the correct section, apologies if not. Going to view a used caravan privately, and have been reading up on testing for damp. Not confident just buying a meter and checking ourselves, but have found an approved workshop scheme mobile engineer locally. Would this be a good option, and would we have any redress if damp was to be found shortly after buying, please?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
A very Good idea and no if buying privately you have very little redress, unless it's advertised as absolutely no damp . If damp then occurred soon after (but your engineer will spot this)I think then you do but tbh you'd really struggle. So if you're sure it's a good price(with a dealer you do get redress) then proceed with caution and pay to have it checked thoroughly not just for damp. Once bought you'll really struggle to get any faults fixed in a private buy unless you pay yourself so do factor that in. You can buy insurances based warranty yourself though. If there are faults your service may tell you cost to fix then knock it off the price. Beware it is sellers market at the mo.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You dont say what age and make the caravan is and depending on that there are other things to look for as well as damp.

With some Baileys they have had water ingress issues from both the front locker and roof straps. Also some of the axles are prone to failing.

Look at the age of the tyres and check for sidewall cracking.

If it has alde heating, which fluid is in it and what age. Check the fridge on all three modes, check cooker and heating too.

Look for delamination. Signs of cracking in front and rear panels. Check all the blinds work properly.

These sort of things can really add up when looking at repairs.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
An engineer is a good option if the price warrants it. They should have insurance and would be liable if they missed something they should have seen.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought our present caravan private one owner from new full service history plus stamps and damp free i also did a check with Cris to make sure it passed with flying colours .
I have a caravan repairer who does my servicing and repairs and he came with me on the day to check it . so i think a engineer is a brilliant option

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
New member, so hope this is in the correct section, apologies if not. Going to view a used caravan privately, and have been reading up on testing for damp. Not confident just buying a meter and checking ourselves, but have found an approved workshop scheme mobile engineer locally. Would this be a good option, and would we have any redress if damp was to be found shortly after buying, please?
Hi,
Use your nose,dampness can smell also use your eyes.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Check if there is any outstanding finance. Not necessarily a problem, but you need to know how this is being sorted. ( search this forum as there is a good thread on this).Make sure that you see the van at the vendors home address and not some random car park. Check the Cris Document. A mobile engineer is a really good idea.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Use your nose,dampness can smell also use your eyes.
I’ve had damp in all of my caravans and it never been noticeable by smell. It has been detected during annual damp checks during servicing, or by my own intervening checks. Sometimes there was discernible “ bubbling” of an area of wall covering but most times it was detected early by a meter. By the time it gets to the smelling stage the potential buyer is best advised to look elsewhere, unless planning to grow mushrooms as a hobby.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whats the benefit of using AWS engineer, please? Would they be liable if damp was discovered after purchase?
There is a possibility depending on circumstances, but all value their livelihood so it is in their best interest to do a thorough check for damp, probably better than any dealer would do.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whats the benefit of using AWS engineer, please? Would they be liable if damp was discovered after purchase?
I’ve had damp on every caravan I have owned, but through regular damp checks by service engineers and myself it has always been caught early before the Mk1 eyeball, nose or hand has discovered it. Damp rarely occurs overnight unless perhaps something has been damaged either in transit or perhaps over exuberant cleaning. AWS engineers or workshops give some assurance that the work will be done properly and as said above they rely on their reputation fir their livelihood. I would support the recommendation that a damp survey be carried out prior to purchase.

Even when buying used from a dealer I have had a damp survey carried out after purchase but within the timescale to ensure rectification can be done. It paid dividends on my last van when hairline cracks were found on the rear panel. The damp ingress was minor the cost was borne by Swift for a new panel to be fitted. Had the cost fallen to me it would have been well in excess of £2000. So a £50-60 survey is peanuts.

Reactions: Beachball
May 7, 2012
Visit site
All qualified engineetrs should have insurance, and it will be a condition of membership of schemes like the AWS. They charge a fee for a professional job and would therefore be liable if hey missed something hey should have seenThis would mean if there was damp apparant and they missed itg they would be liable but if it developed later they would not. The date it developed could be a sticking point in some cases, but in general should be straightforward.
You would ave to check with them, but many organisationslike the AWS have an additional policy to cover you if for any reason the members insurance does not cover them or has expired.

Sep 14, 2021
Visit site
All qualified engineetrs should have insurance, and it will be a condition of membership of schemes like the AWS. They charge a fee for a professional job and would therefore be liable if hey missed something hey should have seenThis would mean if there was damp apparant and they missed itg they would be liable but if it developed later they would not. The date it developed could be a sticking point in some cases, but in general should be straightforward.
You would ave to check with them, but many organisationslike the AWS have an additional policy to cover you if for any reason the members insurance does not cover them or has expired.
Hi do you mean an additional insurance type policy? For the buyer to take out?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is what is called professional indemnity, and is needed to cover this sort of thing where advice or investigation is wrong. Most people are familiar with public liability but that essentially covers damage or injury they cause in an accident. Professional indemnity is an additional cover damages as a result of professional errors and not an accident.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts