C.C. or C.C.C?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dear all, I am new to caravanning (that new infact that I don't yet own a 'van!). Anyway, would just like some advice as to whether or not it is worth joining a club. I have looked at both the C.C. and the C.C.C. and am finding it difficult to decide. Any advice? I have also been told that more and more sites are not permitting twin-axle vans.. is this the case?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

I was in a similar position to you, bought a van but didn't have a practical tow car... (2 sports cars), anyway one has now been sold (mine!) so I'm after a new car.

Anyway as far as clubs go, my dads been caravaning for years and my girlfriends dad also, both are in the C.C. I guess they are pretty much similar. My choice was somewhat narrowed when girlfriends dad filled in a C.C form partly for me !!

As for the twin axel vans someone else may well know more but I think the only problem may arise if you have a very wide foreign(traveller type) van although even then cannot really see why it would be a problem?

good luck

scott

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew we have been members of the Caravan Club since we started caravaning 5 years ago. Thier sites are excellent and I have always found the site wardens friendly and helpful. I have no complaints whatsoever. I have no experience of the C.C.C. but I am sure they are equally as good. If in doubt join both.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not be really rash and try both for a year? If after that you find you have a preference, or really don't see the point of either, no one will force you to renew your subscription. We have stuck with the CCC, partly because for several years we used a trailer tent, which would not have been allowed on a CC site, but also because I always ended up very depressed and anxious after reading the CC club magazine! There always seemed to be a new problem to loose sleep over!

In terms of what you will get out of membership, I have to say, I don't think there is much in it - both offer good (if somewhat over regimented) club sites, advice, a magazine, overseas travel, insurance, certificated site network etc, etc. I think it is really a question of finding where you personally feel most comfortable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we've been 'vanning since '86, & have only ever belonged to the C.C., primarily for use of their excellent CL sites. Some of the C.C. main sites can be a bit pedantic in insisting on the correct siting of the 'van - but we all have choices don't we? The C.C. appear to have more C.L.'s and main sites than the C.C.C., but you pays your money & takes your choice!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd suggest joining both for a year. This way you can try sites through both and see which you enjoy most. We've just done this for our first year of caravanning and actually enjoy sites from both clubs, even though they have a very different feel. Caravan club sites tend to be more formal but are very well kept. CCC tend to be less formal but are also extremely well kept. Pam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew i had the same debate with myself earlier in the year, and decided not to bother. I was initally after cheaper insurance but cc plan was 150 dearer. Most club sites let you use them anyway - just pay a couple of pound more (big deal). As it happens the only time i wnated to use cc club site it was booked for months in advance anyway!! As for even more magazines telling me how wash the van correctly, advising what to do on a holiday in York or giving constantly 'favourable' reviews i can do without!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would like to echo Julian's comments. However, I thought their big showpiece site at Hillhead was very poor compared to their other sites that we have used. Best Wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am very nearly due to take the plunge in to the crazy world of caravans. I am currently having the towing equipment fitted to my Chrysler Voyager 2.5 CRD. As the Voyager is under 3.5 cwt I understand that I can tow up to max 21 feet? (does this include the A-Frame?). Is there legal limit to the width? 2.30m, 2.50m??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I belong to both, however my allegiance will always lie with the CC. I find this club more 'polished' in its approach, offering high standards in everything it does and frankly providing better sites and CLs for caravanners. Granted its personal choice, but the CC is definitely looking after the interests of caravanners. You will have access to all sorts of technical help and guidance if you need it too. As for your query on twin-axles; again the CC will accept you on ALL their sites, and makes no differentiation. All its sites are well designed for access/pitch size etc and you will always be accommodated. (Its worth mentioning the size of your van if booking ahead). There are very good CC sites open all year with large hardstanding pitches that will take your van easily. I find the CCC sites rather more like green open spaces with less pitch separation/delineation/privacy, no doubt helpful to tenters, but less desirable for pitching a caravan. Elsewhere there are a very few commercial sites in the UK that don't like large vans, sometimes due to access or pitch size, and sometimes due to bad experiences with 'travellers'. Providing your outfit is clearly a holiday/leisure rig (I.E. NOT pulling with a white transit/old truck etc!) you should be OK. I tour extensively abroad too and never have a problem, if in doubt check out by phone first. Happy caravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts