C&CC Can't Book One Night!!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I'm a bit cheesed off this morning!

We are off to the Highlands for three weeks starting 1st June. We intend to leave home at about 1pm and I was hoping to book an overnight stay at the Moffat C&CC site. Can't do it!!

The book quite clearly says this site is ideal for a stop over, yet when you try and book, one night is not permitted, you have to stay at least two nights! Why??!!

Does anybody know of another site, within the area, close to the M74, where we can just get our heads down for the night?

Wendy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi wendy,

Why don't you address your complaint to the C&cc and see what they have to say?seems a bit strange to me!you are a member of the C&cc club I presume.Jim

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Wendy,

Let's see if we can help you.

1.Gretna motorway services have a separate caravan parking area for approx 10 vans ( next to the Travel Inn )

2.Braids Caravan park Gretna....tel no.01461 337409

3.Cressfield caravan Park Ecclefechan....telno.01576 300702

4.Hoddom castle caravan park

www.hoddomcastle.co.uk

Not used any of these,but kept them for reference purposes.

Have you thought about a CL in the area? There is one at Beattock.One at Ecclefechan

We had to cancel going north as we both caught a bug which flattened us,so it's on hold until later.

The caravan site at Tebay m'way services .....tel no.015396 24511

Hope this helps you

Maureen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, I got a speedy reply from the C&CC.

Your Place in The Country page 158, confirms.

"The minimum advance booking for a Club Service Pitch, is one night from Sat - Thurs night except for high season, bank holidays and Easter Week when it is two nights. The minimum advance booking for Friday and Saturday nights is two nights at all times.

That explains it then!! :O(

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Wendy,

It still isn't very helpful for members who are doing a long journey and need an overnight! Short sighted policy I reckon.

Maureen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can see the frustration of not being able to book for one night, but I can also see it from the other side.

Imagine not being able to book a site for a weekend Friday to Sunday, because someone is going to use the last remaining pitch from (say) 1800 Friday to 0800 Saturday. That would be annoying.

Wendy - many C & CC sites have overnight parking areas near the entrance. If you phone the wardens direct and ask whether you could park up there overnight, they may well agree.

Another point is that 1 June is the end of half term, and many sites will be full for the whole week.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wendy. We met with the same dilema when coming back from Scotland last September with the Moffat site NOT being a suitable stopover even though there were apparently lots of empty pitches. We stayed at a CL/CS site about 2 miles west of the motorway quite close to Moffat. Nice site with electric hookup,(basic)shower/loo and views. Lovely lady owner. Think it cost aproxe

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I can see the frustration of not being able to book for one night, but I can also see it from the other side.

Imagine not being able to book a site for a weekend Friday to Sunday, because someone is going to use the last remaining pitch from (say) 1800 Friday to 0800 Saturday. That would be annoying.

Wendy - many C & CC sites have overnight parking areas near the entrance. If you phone the wardens direct and ask whether you could park up there overnight, they may well agree.

Another point is that 1 June is the end of half term, and many sites will be full for the whole week.
Mike P,

Booking a weekend on site, you take pot luck!

What about those people who have spent a week on a site and then pack up and leave 8am Saturday morning, are they included?!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Wendy. We met with the same dilema when coming back from Scotland last September with the Moffat site NOT being a suitable stopover even though there were apparently lots of empty pitches. We stayed at a CL/CS site about 2 miles west of the motorway quite close to Moffat. Nice site with electric hookup,(basic)shower/loo and views. Lovely lady owner. Think it cost aproxe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't think there was a problem with just staying for one night, I thought it was that you couldn't make an advanced booking for only one night at busy periods? As I understand it, you can still turn up without a booking, or phone ahead to check if there are spaces. Not perfect, I know, if you are trying to plan an itinerary and want certainty about stopping places, but not altogether as bad as ruling out all single night stays.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi wendy

we always do a overnighter at moffatt on our way up to the highlands we never book and have never been turned away yet. once or twice the site has been busy but still managed to stop over in the tent field the wardens there are very helpfull and when we tell them we want a early start and will be away when the gates open there's no problem as arrivals dont come on to site till after 9 am when were gone.

having said that we never have arrived on a weekend or bank holiday or school hols so maybe this made a differance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at Moffatt 2 nights up and back to Bunree 2 years ago.

Last year we stayed at a CC 5 van site just outside Penrith each way and was soon back onto the M6 going and A66 coming home

Moss Thorn Page 303 of CC Directory

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wendy

I have stayed at the Tebay Services. It is ideal because you are literally 100 yards off motorway but can't hear the noise! Also you get discounts in the farm shop and restaurant.

Have also stayed at Cressfield. You can see that one from the motorway. Nice clean site and good pub 100 yards walk.

Hoddom Castle is 2 miles down road from Cressfield and again is a lovely site. I go there for long weekends to play golf as they have their own course

DavidC

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Wendy,

I entirely agree with your moans,we are in the same boat.Each year we travel from Scotland to Portsmouth to catch a ferry to France and can't stay for one night at any C&CC sites.It's the same coming home.

We always stay at commercial sites because of this.

Any such rule that precludes any club member staying at a club site is a bad one!

After all I joined the club to stay on their sites and not any other sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts