Motorhome solar panel not working

May 7, 2024
Visit site
Can anyone advise, please? The solar panel on our Swift motorhome stopped working a few weeks ago. Sargent suggested disconnecting the leads from the solar panel to the regulator and to check to see if the wires would light a 10a bulb. It did light up so this meant the panel was working but means the regulator was not. There were no readings for solar on the Swift panel and no 'sunshine' indicator. The solar panel, when working, charges (tops up) both leisure and vehicle battery.
I was about to purchase a new regulator but a couple of days later we started to get readings that the solar was working and it continued to do so for a couple of weeks.
However, today, it has again stopped working so I think I'll need to replace the regulator after all. If I do, could anyone advise...do I just remove the wiring and screws and simply replace with a new regulator and re-attach the wires? I assume I would have to block out the sun from the panel by placing something over it, but do I need to disconnect any leads at the vehicle and leisure batteries? Any help/advice would be useful. Thank you.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Martincov, and welcome. You may only have an intermittent fault. Sometimes just a loose connection and easily fixed, but sometimes a real #### to locate.

I think you are correct, if changing like for like, just wire as origional. And yes, it is a very good idea to cover the panel while doing this.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts