C & CC Insurance admin fee

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently contacted the C & CC insurance to inform them that I was going to store my caravan off my approved caravan storage site for a month in between trips. After confirming that I would use all the security devices on my van I was (initially) pleased that my premium would be unaffected. What I wasn't impressed with is that I was then charged £20 as an admin fee. I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes and about a week later I received my "amended" policy, of which I couldn't see any changes.
I understand the need to keep them informed of any changes in circumstances etc but £20 as an admin fee? It's add-ons like this that would put off people from keeping their policies up to date. Unfortunately I'm one of the mugs that do!

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
It might be in the T&C's but £20 for effectively answering my phone call, which I paid for, then sending out a seemingly unchanged document is a bit steep.
I put a cherished transfer plate on my X Trail which cost me nothing when I informed my car insurance company of the change, and they sent out new documents free of charge.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Charges for administration do seem to be on the up. But these charges are laid out in the policy T&C's.
I agree, but once it gets known about the admin fee, people will not bother about updating and take a chance. I can understand the charge if you are changing storage locations, home address etc and new documents are issued, but for a temporary change no ways! Will they be charging an admin fee when they are notified of the caravan returning to tis normal storage location?
Recently we changed storage locations and moved from a CASSOA Gold to a CASSOA Bronze and we were charged an additional £27 with no mention of admin fee. Our policy is through the Caravan Club.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Prof John L said:
Charges for administration do seem to be on the up. But these charges are laid out in the policy T&C's.
........Recently we changed storage locations and moved from a CASSOA Gold to a CASSOA Bronze and we were charged an additional £27 with no mention of admin fee. Our policy is through the Caravan Club.
Check your T&C's and if you do not find any reference to admin charges for notifying changes, claim your £27 back. Your policy is a contract, and if charges ar not part of the T&C's they cannot charge.

Do be careful though, even if you have elected to pay your renewall premium by DD, the policy is just a 1 year policy, so technically its not a renewall but a new contract each year, so the notes you receive saying important updates to your T&C's are important and may contain notes concerning additional charges for admin etc.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Surfer said:
Prof John L said:
........Recently we changed storage locations and moved from a CASSOA Gold to a CASSOA Bronze and we were charged an additional £27 with no mention of admin fee. Our policy is through the Caravan Club.
Check your T&C's and if you do not find any reference to admin charges for notifying changes, claim your £27 back. Your policy is a contract, and if charges ar not part of the T&C's they cannot charge.

Do be careful though, even if you have elected to pay your renewall premium by DD, the policy is just a 1 year policy, so technically its not a renewall but a new contract each year, so the notes you receive saying important updates to your T&C's are important and may contain notes concerning additional charges for admin etc.

The £27 charge was because we lost the Gold CASSOA discount that we were given at the initiation of the policy probably due to a perceived higher risk. We are not complaining as we have always had excellent service from CC insurance when making a claim.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just renewed my car insurance and find that they now make an admin charge if you notify the change by phone but it is free if you do it over the internet.
It does pay to check the opposition as my renewal showed about £370. I got other quotes and found the same policy on the internet for about £240. I rang and got the internet price saving about a third on the original price. I knew that the price could be reduced by phoning but this surprised still me. I did find quotes as low as £150 but these are just too low to be acceptable to me as they cannot give the cover profitably at that figure so would have to cut something out somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts