Cadac - Are They Really The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I've been adamant over many years that my portable, two level grid, gas BBQ is the best bit of equipment we own. My argument has been that a BBQ must create smoke and since charcoal ones are frequently not permitted a gas version is the next best thing.
If I'm honest I do enjoy a glass or two of red, or a beer, whilst dodging the smoke - it's part of camping!
But my wife has just told me she fancies something that cooks in other ways to my wonderful grimy, smelly, BBQ. She has seen a Cadac.
I know that many people swear by them and I can see the advantage in terms of different cooking techniques - grill, pan etc etc. But I'm not convinced that they can give me a smoky and authentic BBQ result.
Am I wrong?
Can someone please let me know their honest opinions including drawbacks and, if possible, any hints and tips. It would be good to know the preferred version too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Like you I stayed with charcoal and gas/rock bbqs until two years ago. I bought the smaller Cadac Grill Chef 2. We used it away and at home and it is now my preferred bbq for trips away. I can do traditional food on its bbq plate and all day breakfasts on its paella pan. During lockdown with just the two of us at home it’s been used extensively. Although next weekend the Cadac plus Dankook and Weber Smokey Joe charcoal ones will all be going full blast.

B556103F-862A-4AB7-BF8A-A8F8946AA17D.jpeg3AF5BFC7-AB6F-41FF-A34F-F2EEFE2C64C4.jpeg

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had the Cadac with the large disc and after using it a couple of times it ended up in the garage. You cannot clean it in the caravan and need to go to the site dish washing facility. After a few years someone who came to buy something else bought it. They are terrible to clean once dirty.

Foolishly I then bought the Cadac Safari Chef about 4 years ago. We have used it twice and it now lives in the garden shed. You might as well cook the food on the hob and grill in the caravan plus it is a real hassle to clean afterwards. Another waste fo money.

We have a small Weber Smoky Joe that fits nicely in the front locker and you can get that genuine BBQ taste when you cook a steak, lamb chops, sausages or chicken on it. We bought a bundle of Australian Heat Beads 4kg Bags and despite numerous BBQs we still have 1 1/2 bags left. The secret is that when you have finished cooking, close up the Weber and starve the fire of oxygen and it goes out quickly. The next time you want to use the Weber, add a few new briquettes and once they start add the old used charcoal. Works for us and lovely tasting rump steak.

Reactions: Johnb
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had the Cadac with the large disc and after using it a couple of times it ended up in the garage. You cannot clean it in the caravan and need to go to the site dish washing facility. After a few years someone who came to buy something else bought it. They are terrible to clean once dirty.

Foolishly I then bought the Cadac Safari Chef about 4 years ago. We have used it twice and it now lives in the garden shed. You might as well cook the food on the hob and grill in the caravan plus it is a real hassle to clean afterwards. Another waste fo money.

We have a small Weber Smoky Joe that fits nicely in the front locker and you can get that genuine BBQ taste when you cook a steak, lamb chops, sausages or chicken on it. We bought a bundle of Australian Heat Beads 4kg Bags and despite numerous BBQs we still have 1 1/2 bags left. The secret is that when you have finished cooking, close up the Weber and starve the fire of oxygen and it goes out quickly. The next time you want to use the Weber, add a few new briquettes and once they start add the old used charcoal. Works for us and lovely tasting rump steak.

I agree that the Cadac bbq plate needs cleaning but it’s hardly a chore if done after each days use. A stiff brush, Fairy Liquid and hot water is all that’s required plus a walk to the dishwashing area. But more difficult on CLs admittedly but not impossible.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree that the Cadac bbq plate needs cleaning but it’s hardly a chore if done after each days use. A stiff brush, Fairy Liquid and hot water is all that’s required plus a walk to the dishwashing area. But more difficult on CLs admittedly but not impossible.
The last thing you such use on it is a stiff brush even if it is nylon as that tends to remove the lacquer making it even more difficult to remove the burnt on crud after even one meal cooked on it. We bought our first Cadac skottel in about 1982 and after awhile it became evident that we were cleaning it too hard with the nylon brush. However as they were so cheap we simply bought another and then had a break for nearly 15 years without one before buying the one that ended up in the garage as it did not mix with caravanning. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The last thing you such use on it is a stiff brush even if it is nylon as that tends to remove the lacquer making it even more difficult to remove the burnt on crud after even one meal cooked on it. We bought our first Cadac skottel in about 1982 and after awhile it became evident that we were cleaning it too hard with the nylon brush. However as they were so cheap we simply bought another and then had a break for nearly 15 years without one before buying the one that ended up in the garage as it did not mix with caravanning. :ROFLMAO:
Well after two years of regular use and cleaning as described the bbq plate surface is still fine. Perhaps surface coatings have moved on a bit since 1982.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer this threads title---No😶 A crusty farmhouse cob fresh from the bakery is much better☺. I have an early Cadac, and as others have said it's inconvenient to clean, and it's cast iron disc is quite a lot of payload. And it doesn't smoke the food in the same way you want to get a proper BBQ taste.

We ended up mainly using the caravans cooker or occasionally adisposable BBQ

At home we have a gas powered BBQ with lava rocks. The fat dripping onto the rocks produces the smoked flavour.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To answer this threads title---No😶 A crusty farmhouse cob fresh from the bakery is much better☺. I have an early Cadac, and as others have said it's inconvenient to clean, and it's cast iron disc is quite a lot of payload. And it doesn't smoke the food in the same way you want to get a proper BBQ taste.

We ended up mainly using the caravans cooker or occasionally adisposable BBQ

At home we have a gas powered BBQ with lava rocks. The fat dripping onto the rocks produces the smoked flavour.

Prof

But if your cooking style tends towards Sui Mei the level of polyaromatic hydrocarbons generated on a charcoal or lava rock bbq exceeds those generated on a Cadac griddle plate. 😂😂

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Cleaning a Cadac pan is a didle if you do it right. Let it cool, apply Fairy power spray, leave it 10 mins and rinse it off with hot soapy water. Yes, greatest thing since sliced bread.
Unless you are trying to wash it in the minute kitchen sink in most caravans. We were concerned that if we did it would scratch the kitchen sink. Worst thing since bubble gum! :)

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Very very pleased with our cadac grill chef 2 . I clean ours in the caravan,the non stick is lone of the best out there esp the pan and nothing we have cooked yet has been other than great. Comes apart easily and all packs nicely into its own bag. Love it so far.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’m on my 3rd Cadac, first was the small table top version which was great but after a couple of years with grandkids with us I need more space, bought the full size version that stands on 3 legs, I cooked on it pretty much every day when we were away, sometimes twice in a day with breakfast in morning and BBQ evening, my 3rd and current is latest full size version the same but got better non stick coating and slightly different pans which are great, my newer version is once again used morning and night, it’s true you don’t get the same smoky flavour of a charcoal BBQ but it’s easy to replace that smoky flavour with coatings on the food, one of the big bonuses is not cooking in the caravan so no fat splashes, no cooking smells and being outside as much as possible, our cadac gets set up under a gazebo with all 4 sides romoved and a windbreak arranged on 3 sides around it so wind doesn’t stop me and the rain only causes a problem when it coming sideways, cleaning is no worse than cleaning any BBQ, in fact the none stick surfaces are so much better it cleans loads easier, it’s my must have piece of equipment home and away.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like you I stayed with charcoal and gas/rock bbqs until two years ago. I bought the smaller Cadac Grill Chef 2. We used it away and at home and it is now my preferred bbq for trips away. I can do traditional food on its bbq plate and all day breakfasts on its paella pan. During lockdown with just the two of us at home it’s been used extensively. Although next weekend the Cadac plus Dankook and Weber Smokey Joe charcoal ones will all be going full blast.

View attachment 637View attachment 638
My favourite it looks very yum yum

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a CADAQC and are happy with it. It does not take up the room some barbecues do and works well although like all gas models you cannot have the smoked flavour. It is as easy as any other to wash. It is not perfect but as good as any we have come across.
If you are a CAMH member you should be able to get a good deal through the club shop.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
If I don’t use my CADAC for more then a day I get withdrawal symptoms. Sirloin, corn on the cob, mushrooms and onions and jacket spud tonight lubricated with a pleasant red.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an old Cadac chef, with pressed steel grill, I seldem wash it just brush it with a brass wire brush to get rid of the "crud". We rinse the Skottle dish but don't use it often normally just for cooking a whole chicken. But just bought a small gas BBQ with lava rocks for weekends away. See how it goes.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Ive got one. Its not a BBQ at all. You dont get a BBQ flavour.
Its just a gas powered grill that you use outdoors.
Nothing special despite what fans say. You can get the same effect with a frying pan or a griddle pan and your cooker. Easier to wash up a pan too,

Reactions: Buckman and Johnb
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Ive got one. Its not a BBQ at all. You dont get a BBQ flavour.
Its just a gas powered grill that you use outdoors.
Nothing special despite what fans say. You can get the same effect with a frying pan or a griddle pan and your cooker. Easier to wash up a pan too,

That's been my understanding too.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I've re-read the thread and just want to say a genuine thank you to all those who have given me the benefit of their advice and experiences.
Really appreciated.
The jury has now returned and I will be using my faithful, smoky, rusted, fat coated gas BBQ as always..........
BUT..............
We will be taking with us, for the first time, our griddle pan and possibly a wok.
Phew - that's saved me a few quid!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've re-read the thread and just want to say a genuine thank you to all those who have given me the benefit of their advice and experiences.
Really appreciated.
The jury has now returned and I will be using my faithful, smoky, rusted, fat coated gas BBQ as always..........
BUT..............
We will be taking with us, for the first time, our griddle pan and possibly a wok.
Phew - that's saved me a few quid!
Enjoy the griddle pan and the wok i love cooking all the time with ours and have fun with your old faithful BBQ

Reactions: Johnb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts