Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the Cadac DeLuxe with all the various cooking surfaces and even though we have read the booklet, I can't understand which surfaces we should be using! There is a "deflector", when do you use this? Also, after assembly it lit perfectly with the push button, but went to use it a couple of days ago and it won't light, if we keep pushing the red ignition button the spark is there but is too low down and doesn't reach the part that it needs to ignite. There is a smooth surface with a ribbed griddle on the flip side, and also a more traditional BBQ grill surface where the food can fall through more easily (sausages etc) at what point do you put the deflector on? Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Lorraine

I have had the same BBQ for several years. I always understood from the instructions that the deflector plate is only used when you assemble it with the chrome plated grid like a normal BBQ.

I have found that with the cooking that we do that is breakfast (eggs, bacon and fried tomatoes/bread) we use the non stick flat plate with a little olive oil and the burner control as low as it will go. In this case you do not fit the deflector plate. We cook fish, sausages, kebabs, and sometimes better quality beef burgers on the reverse side that is the grill plate where any fat etc can escape and collect in the water trough which you need to fill very carefully so it does not overflow on the burner. Again no defletor plate and the burner control turned quite low.

I also had problems with the self ignition and had this replaced under guarantee. But I still have problems for it to work either in wind or early morning when I think a little initial dampness (even when covered overnight) is present. In these conditions I light manually with a match.

PS we never buy cheap beefburgers as these are just full of fat and produce lots of smoke and flame and a big mess to clean up after.

Good luck

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We're a bit new to the cadac, so still working it all out. Also using deflector with all surfaces. We had a bit of trouble with ignition but then discovered that we didn't have all the viewing holes lined up (yes we're stupid) so not enough Oxygen getting in.

mel

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i use the deflector on all the plates , and as for burgers i prefer to make my own , i buy lean mince , 2 raw eggs as a binder , diced onion , sprinkle some pepper and knead all the ingredients together ,then mould to the size you like place on grease proof paper and freeze ready for when you go

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i use the deflector on all the plates , and as for burgers i prefer to make my own , i buy lean mince , 2 raw eggs as a binder , diced onion , sprinkle some pepper and knead all the ingredients together ,then mould to the size you like place on grease proof paper and freeze ready for when you go
i use deflector all time if i dont i find it gets hot spots on plate and every thing burns on middle of plate give up with ignition got one from poundland refill with lighter gas

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i use deflector all time if i dont i find it gets hot spots on plate and every thing burns on middle of plate give up with ignition got one from poundland refill with lighter gas

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
The deflector plate is only for use with the stainless steel mesh BBQ plate.

Our ignitor failed after 3 uses - no spark at all when you press the red button. The dealer exchanged the blue base for us & the new one has an integral ignitor within the control knob so they must have updated the design???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cadac Queries - CarriChef

I've just been in touch with Cadac Bristol, they told me to:

1. Not use the deflector plate when using the griddle pan

2. Put the skottel pan directly onto the blue base when using that

3. Only use the deflector plate when bbqing

4. Fill the fat pan moat with water to make it easier to clean, avoid burn ups, add moisture to cooking

Hope this helps folks

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Glenn,I had the same and found the ignition electrode got grease burned around it,shorting out the spark,cleaned it a couple of times then got fed up and spoke to Cadac who posted me a new base which has been fine since,excellent service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts